Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Virgin Mobile

Virgin Mobile FTTH/FTTN - 100/10Mbps - $45/m (Ontario only)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2022 12:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box

[Virgin Mobile] Virgin Mobile FTTH/FTTN - 100/10Mbps - $45/m (Ontario only)

Was shopping around for internet for home, and due to COVID, current offerings from Cogeco, Rogers, Bell all seem to be less aggressive than in the past.

Ended up coming across this, cross-referenced on RFD, and didnt see any mention.

$45 a month for 100Mbps/10Mbps across FTTH or FTTN. The 50Mbps option is $5 bucks less.

https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/hot-offe ... offer.html

Signed up by calling in, mentioned the code ONTARIO35 and got it hooked up!

Coming from 1Gbit, but for day to day, it will make no major impact for zoom meetings, team calls, digital schooling, netflix, social media, and RFD! Considering its Bell FTTH, the latency and responsiveness may even be better for me.
Last edited by weedb0y on May 29th, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 11 times in total.
223 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2084 posts
1560 upvotes
Most Rogers internet is also FTTH these days, the fibre optic cable is run into the house or condo where it is converted into coaxial cable to connect to your “cable” modem. But yes this is a decent deal given all the overpriced packages from Bell and Rogers.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1305 posts
1118 upvotes
Great deal, looks like Fido hasn't matched yet.

I went from Bell Gigabit to Virgin 100Mbps at the beginning of the year and it was virtually the same in terms of streaming and WFH zoom calls. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a reliable internet connection.
-
Feb 20, 2009
261 posts
216 upvotes
Mississauga
shayne85 wrote: Most Rogers internet is also FTTH these days, the fibre optic cable is run into the house or condo where it is converted into coaxial cable to connect to your “cable” modem.
Absolutely not true. Most Rogers/Cogeco/Shaw cable Internet are fibre to the node, and coax into premises using DOCSIS. Only newer homes and apartments in the past 15 years have RF-over-Glass which is still DOCSIS. Small fraction of Rogers subscribers may have GPON (not DOCSIS). Nothing wrong with DOCSIS when it lorded over xDSL. But DOCSIS 3.1 uplinks without OFDM are bottlenecked, and you must share up/downlink bandwidths with neighbours.

I have the VM 50/10 plan. Even though VM throttles their uplink to 10Mbps, it is a rock solid 10Mbps and performs consistently regardless of what my neighbours are doing. All video streaming services and MS Teams video conferencing works great.

If you can get FTTH at your premise, will highly recommend you taking advantage of the free install to get your GPON slot. All future Bell/VM future services will come from that. But if you can't get FTTH and need to take xDSL instead you should read the previous thread where some people didn't have good experience (with xDSL).
Feb 20, 2009
261 posts
216 upvotes
Mississauga
LDN2012 wrote: I went from Bell Gigabit to Virgin 100Mbps at the beginning of the year and it was virtually the same in terms of streaming and WFH zoom calls.
You could probably go down to 50Mbps and still won't notice a difference (if you don't torrent large files). Videoconferencing is fine with a steady 10Mbps uplink.
Oct 21, 2015
573 posts
761 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It was 100M for $40 a while back but YMMV
Last edited by texasbruce on May 29th, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7612 posts
4415 upvotes
Toronto
I was on Rogers 300 and they ended promo and were going back up to $101.

Called and cancelled.

They call back next day and offer 500 for $50.

Rejected that. They offer to keep me on 300 for $40.

Took it.

So call and cancel and don't worry, they will call you back!
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1690 posts
670 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
fightbriz wrote: I was on Rogers 300 and they ended promo and were going back up to $101.

Called and cancelled.

They call back next day and offer 500 for $50.

Rejected that. They offer to keep me on 300 for $40.

Took it.

So call and cancel and don't worry, they will call you back!
Does any one have any similar experiences with Bell?

In 1.5 years they raised the rates by 15%

I’m looking to cancel and get a new provider or negotiate a better price with Bell
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
2005 posts
1152 upvotes
Doesn't seem to apply to all areas. All they offer me when I put in my postal code is 5/1 for 60$ a month... What is that even? Who would even use that speed? I think I had that speed like 15 years ago.
Penalty Box
Jun 20, 2020
17136 posts
22932 upvotes
Toronto
texasbruce wrote: It was 150M for $40 a while back but YMMV
Virgin Mobile Home Internet offers up to 100 MBPS download speed

Are you referring to Fido Home Internet?
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2949 posts
5057 upvotes
Atlantic
shayne85 wrote: Most Rogers internet is also FTTH these days
lol no. If anything, Rogers FTTH is minuscule portion of their internet business.
Aug 2, 2018
58 posts
131 upvotes
I called and they said it was for new customers only but the supervisor gave me $30 off instead of the $35. Didn't try to fight for a better deal so ymmv
Dec 5, 2016
603 posts
876 upvotes
shayne85 wrote: Most Rogers internet is also FTTH these days, the fibre optic cable is run into the house or condo where it is converted into coaxial cable to connect to your “cable” modem. But yes this is a decent deal given all the overpriced packages from Bell and Rogers.
Like if the only thing that exists is downtown condos, sure?
Feb 4, 2017
358 posts
426 upvotes
RAINMAN0 wrote: Doesn't seem to apply to all areas. All they offer me when I put in my postal code is 5/1 for 60$ a month... What is that even? Who would even use that speed? I think I had that speed like 15 years ago.
My in laws were in the same situation with Bell. They were paying for 50/10 and getting 5/1. Turned out that the wiring in their neighborhood is ancient. Sadly Bell/VM or anything DSL is not an option for you. They ended up moving to cable after I told them what was going on.