Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Virgin Mobile

Virgin Mobile FTTH/FTTN - 100/10Mbps - $45/m (Ontario only)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2022 12:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
r3ddrag0nx wrote: I’m not trying to derail, so ignore, PM or respond at your own risk:

I’ve been looking around for a non-promo rate that beats what I’m currently getting for a 500Mpbs cable connection to freehold house in Toronto (which is overkill as the speeds sometimes aren’t that great anyhow) at $92/mth + $10 modem rental fee (zzz) less $40 discount (believed to be a persistent discount) = $62/mth+taxes.

It’s been hell trying to find something priced lower for a 100 to 300Mbps connection w/o annually expiring promos. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was really looking forward to Virgin but apparently I can only go as high as 50Mpbs which may not be enough for the household. Pensive Face
Reality is, due to pandemic, internet is a critical need for everyone and rates are higher. While mobile data is getting cheaper as everyone is on WiFi.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12441 posts
2183 upvotes
How is the Steve modem/router generally?

I have the Steve and an Asus rt86u and 3 (small) floors.

Trying to decide between modem/router on first floor and Asus on 2nd floor as repeater.

Or

Modem in bridge mode on first floor and Asus on 2nd floor for the entire house.

Not really sure on the benefits of either. I feel the first option gives more wifi coverage but not sure it's needed.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1397 posts
820 upvotes
GTA
Apologies for a long winded post.

My install was scheduled between 12 - 5 today and the tech arrived at 10:30am. Luckily I was home and didn’t have anywhere else to be. Communication was quite good from Virgin Mobile. Phone call from Bell, then 2 calls from Virgin a couple of days prior along with emails and texts.

The tech took about 2 hours to complete the work outside and inside my house.

I had DSL with Start.ca 50 up 10 down.

I do not have fibre into my house and Virgin was able to achieve a higher speed by using 2 pairs of telephone copper wires as opposed to Start.ca which used 1 pair of wires.

Doing a speed test shows 85 down/11 up.

I have my own router and wanted to use that and the tech said all I had to do was connect it to the Lan port of the Steve modem and disable the wifi.

Logging into the Steve modem to turn off the wifi wasn’t a problem as the tech was there while I did it.

I then asked him for the PPPoE id and password but he didn’t know what that was and said everything is already programmed into the modem. I told him it’s the v2xxxxxxx id and that’s when he clued in and gave me the password.

After he left, I tried to use the v2xxxxxx id and password and nothing worked. Messed around with it for about half hour then I remembered seeing on the tech’s phone the v2xxxxxxx id actually was [email protected]. This did the trick! After entering the credentials into my router and I did a reboot of both the router and modem everything worked.

So far pretty happy with the service. Maybe I’ll call and see if there’s anything they can do on their end to tune up the download speed to get closer to 100mbps.

Waiting for my kids to come home and play some games to see if the double nat is going to be a problem and I will have to figure out how to set up the DMZ on the modem.

I will update this post if I have to set up the DMZ.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
dpw198 wrote: Apologies for a long winded post.

My install was scheduled between 12 - 5 today and the tech arrived at 10:30am. Luckily I was home and didn’t have anywhere else to be. Communication was quite good from Virgin Mobile. Phone call from Bell, then 2 calls from Virgin a couple of days prior along with emails and texts.

I do not have fibre into my house and Virgin was able to achieve a higher speed by using 2 pairs of telephone copper wires as opposed to Start.ca which used 1 pair of wires.

I have my own router and wanted to use that and the tech said all I had to do was connect it to the Lan port of the Steve modem and disable the wifi.

Logging into the Steve modem to turn off the wifi wasn’t a problem as the tech was there while I did it.

I then asked him for the PPPoE id and password but he didn’t know what that was and said everything is already programmed into the modem. I told him it’s the v2xxxxxxx id and that’s when he clued in and gave me the password.

After he left, I tried to use the v2xxxxxx id and password and nothing worked. Messed around with it for about half hour then I remembered seeing on the tech’s phone the v2xxxxxxx id actually was [email protected]. This did the trick! After entering the credentials into my router and I did a reboot of both the router and modem everything worked.

So far pretty happy with the service. Maybe I’ll call and see if there’s anything they can do on their end to tune up the download speed to get closer to 100mbps.

Waiting for my kids to come home and play some games to see if the double nat is going to be a problem and I will have to figure out how to set up the DMZ on the modem.

If you are logged into via PPPoe, you arent really in Double NAT situation (which frankly is not a huge concern these days, the whole internet is NAT over NAT).
Feb 4, 2017
358 posts
426 upvotes
dpw198 wrote: Apologies for a long winded post.

This is how I set it up. Did a connection test on my xbox and no double NAT. You are good to go!
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3074 posts
680 upvotes
Pickering
Signed up over the phone, oddly enough my address wasn't found initially but was told my neighbor 2 doors down has it available, tech will call me within a day. Been on cable for over a decade now, and haven't used my POTS in years, dry loop is free and time I switched back. With Carrytel now and the rising prices, constant disconnects and day long outages finally did it, time to drop cable.

Thanks OP.

edit: post 3000 Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Mar 17, 2021
416 posts
708 upvotes
I saw this promo a few days ago and was paying $60/month for 50/10 before that at my parents house.

I called them and told them about the promo and they initially told me I couldn't do anything because its new customers only. I challenged the lady on the phone and said it wasn't for new customers only and if I couldn't get the deal I'd be switching to Rogers or Fido which is giving me $40/month (they aren't actually but I just pulled the numbers out of my ass). She put me on hold for a bit and came back and told me she talked to someone and they would apply the code.

My account now is being charged $60/month with a $30/month credit so effectively paying $30/month for 50/10. It appears to be valid for 12 months only so I'll call back next year I guess. Mentioning because it might be worth it for other current customers but idk if the lady just messed up.
Last edited by StockDollar on Jun 29th, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 17, 2021
416 posts
708 upvotes
slowtyper wrote: How is the Steve modem/router generally?

I have the Steve and an Asus rt86u and 3 (small) floors.

Trying to decide between modem/router on first floor and Asus on 2nd floor as repeater.

Or

Modem in bridge mode on first floor and Asus on 2nd floor for the entire house.

Not really sure on the benefits of either. I feel the first option gives more wifi coverage but not sure it's needed.
I have Steve in 3-floor house with 6 people living in it and 2-3 devices per person.

We've never had any issues at all except for when there is an internet outage in my area due to repairs like once every one or two months.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7518 posts
3693 upvotes
Canuckland
Would they provide MOCA adapters for customers with coax?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7518 posts
3693 upvotes
Canuckland
Do we need to jump to another provider after a year?

What’s the likeliness of getting the promotion renewed?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
DealCanuck wrote: Do we need to jump to another provider after a year?

High.

Virgin offers these on yearly basis. December time frame for sure.

And once in spring.

There's no contract so jump if you see better deal anywhere else.

ATM, this is rock solid for FTTH
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7518 posts
3693 upvotes
Canuckland
weedb0y wrote: They dont serve over coax.
Pretty much useless since I’d have to run drops
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
DealCanuck wrote: Pretty much useless since I’d have to run drops
That's unique to you. Their role ends once the connection is in the house. You could ask for them to take the wire to a central spot. (and if you are wired for ethernet, they can also terminate one without any charges)
Feb 20, 2009
261 posts
216 upvotes
Mississauga
DealCanuck wrote: Do we need to jump to another provider after a year?
Several people had said they cancelled and then have their spouses sign up at the same address for "new customer" deals. But the deals pricing seem to be creeping up.
Feb 3, 2012
552 posts
479 upvotes
T.O.
I called Virgin today to sign up. The person on the phone confirmed the fiber optic internet was available in my area. I only have cable and no landline telephone wires in my home. Will they bring the fiber connection directly into my house or is it to a node and then copper wires into my house? The rep couldn't answer my question and just said the technician will spend between 2-4 hours on the setup.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4852 posts
4640 upvotes
Toronto
sputnik99112 wrote: I called Virgin today to sign up. The person on the phone confirmed the fiber optic internet was available in my area. I only have cable and no landline telephone wires in my home. Will they bring the fiber connection directly into my house or is it to a node and then copper wires into my house? The rep couldn't answer my question and just said the technician will spend between 2-4 hours on the setup.
Will run fiber into your house. Have an idea where it will enter your house and where the jack and modem will be placed and clear out some space for the tech to work and drill.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
2041 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
Wow isp prices are expensive. I have 500mbps ftth bell for 75/month.

After 12 months thr price or 100mbps is 80/month
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
jm1 wrote: Will run fiber into your house. Have an idea where it will enter your house and where the jack and modem will be placed and clear out some space for the tech to work and drill.
Yup, I told them to put it in the basement, and then give me a ethernet jack upstairs (house has rough-in ethernet), and then I mapped the rest using my Linksys Velop mesh network, running in PPPoe, works wonderfully.
Feb 3, 2012
552 posts
479 upvotes
T.O.
jm1 wrote: Will run fiber into your house. Have an idea where it will enter your house and where the jack and modem will be placed and clear out some space for the tech to work and drill.
Thanks. I have an unused existing cable wire which comes into the centre room on the second floor. I will ask them to remove the cable and reuse the hole to bring in the fibre connection.