Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Virgin Mobile

Virgin Mobile FTTH/FTTN - 100/10Mbps - $45/m (Ontario only)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2022 12:33 pm
Feb 3, 2012
552 posts
479 upvotes
T.O.
weedb0y wrote:
$45 a month for 100Mbps/10Mbps across FTTH or FTTN. The 50Mbps option is $5 bucks less.

https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/hot-offe ... offer.html

Signed up by calling in, mentioned the code ONTARIO35 and got it hooked up!
The $45/month for 100Mbps is now $55/month. The discount is now only $25/mth. Interestingly today I received an e-mail from Carrytel informing me that my current monthly Internet cost is going up by $5 due to the recent CRTC decision. Fortunately I was able to sign up for the Virgin deal at the earlier deal price. Once the tech installs the fibre internet service at my home, I'm going to promptly call to cancel service from Carrytel.
Dec 24, 2012
6 posts
2 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Signed up last week and tech came in yesterday. Set it up in the garage where there's a fiber into the home. He set up two Ethernet jacks in the house for free too. Tested it out and we get just over 100 down and over 10 up. I'll wait for a Bell deal to switch over to them.
Feb 20, 2009
261 posts
216 upvotes
Mississauga
sputnik99112 wrote: Thanks. I have an unused existing cable wire which comes into the centre room on the second floor. I will ask them to remove the cable and reuse the hole to bring in the fibre connection.
Nothing wrong with your plan. The integrated modem/AP will be "Valerie" for FTTH and its Wi-Fi coverage is not bad. However AP's omnidirectional coverage is like a donut lying flat - covering one floor broadly with much weaker RF going up one floor and heading down one floor. If you have devices in the basement, having your AP on the second floor might be an issue..
There are the usual 4 switch ports on the back of Valerie.
Feb 20, 2009
261 posts
216 upvotes
Mississauga
...also the antennas in Valerie are encased so the RF lobes can't be adjusted.
Feb 3, 2012
552 posts
479 upvotes
T.O.
ravenjo wrote: Nothing wrong with your plan. The integrated modem/AP will be "Valerie" for FTTH and its Wi-Fi coverage is not bad. However AP's omnidirectional coverage is like a donut lying flat - covering one floor broadly with much weaker RF going up one floor and heading down one floor. If you have devices in the basement, having your AP on the second floor might be an issue..
There are the usual 4 switch ports on the back of Valerie.
Thanks. I have cat6 wires to the main floor and to the devices on the 2nd. I just hope I get half decent wifi coverage around the house and to backyard for the mobile phones otherwise I will need to put it in bridge mode and use the old router.
Jan 5, 2006
432 posts
778 upvotes
Hamilton
Deal ended July 1st. No luck trying to still get the offer on chat.
Penalty Box
Jun 20, 2020
17136 posts
22932 upvotes
Toronto
sputnik99112 wrote: Thanks. I have cat6 wires to the main floor and to the devices on the 2nd. I just hope I get half decent wifi coverage around the house and to backyard for the mobile phones otherwise I will need to put it in bridge mode and use the old router.
Virgin Valerie (Bell Home Hub 3000 rebranded) modem do not support "bridge" mode
You will need to do PPPoE passthrough or use TP-Link media converter

Bell Home Hub 3000/Using my own Router

Step by step instructions to by pass Homehub 3000?
Destiny is all
Feb 3, 2012
552 posts
479 upvotes
T.O.
Dhanushan wrote: Virgin Valerie (Bell Home Hub 3000 rebranded) modem do not support "bridge" mode
You will need to do PPPoE passthrough or use TP-Link media converter

Bell Home Hub 3000/Using my own Router

Step by step instructions to by pass Homehub 3000?
Thanks for the links. I'll look into using my router to make the PPPoE connection if I need to go this route.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
2161 posts
823 upvotes
I can't remember what I'm paying anymore with Carrytel but need to find a place to swtich to after they've been steadily raising prices and dropping service.
Dec 3, 2007
910 posts
766 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If my Fido internet has been horrible (6 tech visits, 3 maintenance teams) in the past month, and it's likely due to old infrastructure in my building (see attached photo), would FTTN from Rogers and/or Bell/Virgin bypass the attached infra that is likely causing my issues and more likely lead to more stable internet. Don't care about speed, only stability.

Tired of getting kicked out of work calls.
Virgin confirmed I could only get FTTN, and therefore the Valerie or David Homehub modems.

Rogers chat confirmed I'd be stuck with my current Hitron Coda which leads me to believe even with ignite, I'm still going through this splitter box.

Any recommendations?
Last edited by glib on Aug 5th, 2021 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 3, 2012
552 posts
479 upvotes
T.O.
Shadow Rider wrote: I can't remember what I'm paying anymore with Carrytel but need to find a place to swtich to after they've been steadily raising prices and dropping service.
I know how you feel, I recently left Carrytel for Virgin FTTH. The fibre connection has been solid. Consistent 120 Mbps download and no loss of service since I switched over last month.
Dec 3, 2007
910 posts
766 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
weedb0y wrote: High.

Virgin offers these on yearly basis. December time frame for sure.

And once in spring.

There's no contract so jump if you see better deal anywhere else.

ATM, this is rock solid for FTTH
Is there any way to confirm it's FTTH and not FTTN? Bell address check confirmed it's only FTTN, but they dug up and installed what looked like Fibre nearby.

Any way to check other than an address search?
Want FTTH so bad because don't trust the cabling from the node and cable internet has been challenging .
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
2161 posts
823 upvotes
sputnik99112 wrote: I know how you feel, I recently left Carrytel for Virgin FTTH. The fibre connection has been solid. Consistent 120 Mbps download and no loss of service since I switched over last month.
I wish in Canada we can just get some kind of steady pricing. Calling in after Virgin raises prices a year later is kind of a hassle too. But I guess that's how they get all of us to fork over more money.
Feb 3, 2012
552 posts
479 upvotes
T.O.
Shadow Rider wrote: I wish in Canada we can just get some kind of steady pricing. Calling in after Virgin raises prices a year later is kind of a hassle too. But I guess that's how they get all of us to fork over more money.
I hear you. I thought about this will and try the following options near the end of the deal,
1) I read comments from users who called in close to the expiration of their current deal and was offered a $25 discount off the regular price
2) Cancel and sign up again under a new deal using my spouse's name with service to the same address
3) Jump on a deal from Bell since they use the same fibre line
4) This is wishful thinking, but hope that Rogers gets around to installing fibre in my neighbourhood. There is no way I am going back to cable internet.
Dec 3, 2007
910 posts
766 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
sputnik99112 wrote: 4) This is wishful thinking, but hope that Rogers gets around to installing fibre in my neighbourhood. There is no way I am going back to cable internet.
Just trying to get different opinions.
Why would you never go back to cable internet? Would this also apply if all you got was FTTN?

I'm positive I'll only get FTTN and they'll likely install new DSL for my place, so lower risk than sticking with cable internet which has been bad.

About to make the switch to Virgin or Bell but want to be sure I'm not switching for similar problems.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
glib wrote: Is there any way to confirm it's FTTH and not FTTN? Bell address check confirmed it's only FTTN, but they dug up and installed what looked like Fibre nearby.

Any way to check other than an address search?
Want FTTH so bad because don't trust the cabling from the node and cable internet has been challenging .
Does your address show up for DSL with 3rd party vendors?

With that being said, you would have Fiber coming into your home if it was hooked up for FTTH.
Feb 3, 2012
552 posts
479 upvotes
T.O.
glib wrote: Just trying to get different opinions.
Why would you never go back to cable internet? Would this also apply if all you got was FTTN?

I'm positive I'll only get FTTN and they'll likely install new DSL for my place, so lower risk than sticking with cable internet which has been bad.

About to make the switch to Virgin or Bell but want to be sure I'm not switching for similar problems.
My experience with cable internet was not good. In my current home, internet service was down for multiple days until a tech came out and removed a cable splitter. He also said my signal was adequate at best. He tried looking for the green box with all the connections but could not find it in my neighbourhood.. I then left Distributel thinking maybe going to another provider will be better.. gone to Carrytel for the low price. No change I kept losing connection once in awhile for 2 mins or hours. It seemed to get worse after heavy rain. This got really apparent with full-time work from home. I tried, but couldn't take it anymore so I left for Virgin's FTTH deal. It's absolutely 100 times better, I have not experienced any downtime or loss of speed.

I'm not sure if FTTN will be better for you unless you test it out. Hopefully there is no contract or setup costs so you can cancel if it's worst than cable internet. I know with Virgin it was free setup and I am not under a contract.
Dec 3, 2007
910 posts
766 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
sputnik99112 wrote: My experience with cable internet was not good. In my current home, internet service was down for multiple days until a tech came out and removed a cable splitter. He also said my signal was adequate at best. He tried looking for the green box with all the connections but could not find it in my neighbourhood.. I then left Distributel thinking maybe going to another provider will be better.. gone to Carrytel for the low price. No change I kept losing connection once in awhile for 2 mins or hours. It seemed to get worse after heavy rain. This got really apparent with full-time work from home. I tried, but couldn't take it anymore so I left for Virgin's FTTH deal. It's absolutely 100 times better, I have not experienced any downtime or loss of speed.

I'm not sure if FTTN will be better for you unless you test it out. Hopefully there is no contract or setup costs so you can cancel if it's worst than cable internet. I know with Virgin it was free setup and I am not under a contract.
Thanks for the excellent advice. Given that both Bell and Virgin are offering 100mbit, likely neighbourhood is setup ok. And like you said, no contract means I can pivot in a month if it's not better. I'll try to get them to install new DSL during my install and to bypass anything in my building that might cause issues. Lost connection regularly for mins or hours, like you. My main beef, was that each time it got really bad, the techs were useless and always said when done that it was all solved, and it took a month and 5-6 visits from different people to find something new before it improved, and it would only be better for a couple months max. Or that maintenance teams were booked, when they weren't. Hours of wasted time speaking with techs who, more often than not, didn't know what they were doing. Cancelled cable, now just need to book with Virgin. Tech Managers excuse = "the goalpost keeps moving", LOL.
Feb 3, 2012
552 posts
479 upvotes
T.O.
glib wrote: Thanks for the excellent advice. Given that both Bell and Virgin are offering 100mbit, likely neighbourhood is setup ok. And like you said, no contract means I can pivot in a month if it's not better. I'll try to get them to install new DSL during my install and to bypass anything in my building that might cause issues. Lost connection regularly for mins or hours, like you. My main beef, was that each time it got really bad, the techs were useless and always said when done that it was all solved, and it took a month and 5-6 visits from different people to find something new before it improved, and it would only be better for a couple months max. Or that maintenance teams were booked, when they weren't. Hours of wasted time speaking with techs who, more often than not, didn't know what they were doing. Cancelled cable, now just need to book with Virgin. Tech Managers excuse = "the goalpost keeps moving", LOL.
I'm glad I could help. Good luck, hopefully FTTN DSL solves your Internet reliability issues.
Sep 9, 2008
30 posts
20 upvotes
So my special pricing has expired, and the 100 Mbps option now costs $90/month.
Are you guys switching to other providers? Any good deals out there?
Did you manage to arm wrestle Virgin to extend the deal? I tried, but the best they would give me is $75/month for the 100 Mbps.