Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Virgin Mobile

Virgin Mobile FTTH/FTTN - 100/10Mbps - $45/m (Ontario only)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2022 12:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
ji2o0k wrote:
TL; DNR - bungled up install date, still installed on original date - slow connection & instructed to rebooted modem...........VM Valerie modem now shows error code, VM Tech can't trouble shoot & tells me to wait 12hrs for modem provisioning & network configuration
Seems like they delayed their order but then just found a way to get a tech to show up.

Accounts typically are provisioned 24 hours before install from my experience. (I had a pre-install call with their rep who called to confirm all details and logistics)
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1397 posts
822 upvotes
GTA
ji2o0k wrote: Unfortunately for me, I haven't been having a good go at this so far....comedy of errors on VM's part so far....

I submitted my online order last week & received an email with a Mon June 7 install date from between 8am - 12pm

Today is Mon June 7 - waited until 1pm but still no Bell Technician so I called into VM
Looks like my install date in their system was moved to Tues June 8 but I wasn't notified (no email or phone call)

I told the rep I received an email with a June 7th install date & wasn't notified of any change - she checks again......"oops, looks like a Bell Tech was dispatched on Mon June 7, should be there in the afternoon"

Bell Tech arrived at 2pm & proceeded to install the Valerie modem in my basement & do his thing - I was WFH & hotspotting with my iphone with meetings all afternoon

Bell tech is done - gave me a small black sticker with SSID & password. I was busy with work meetings, quickly checked the wifi with my iphone & connected so figured all good

Later in the evening after I'm done my work - I speed test the connection & getting 2.2Mbps down / 6.5Mbps up...........weird

Call into VM Tech - told to reboot the modem now I get a "Error 2001", tried a bunch of different logins

Spent more than 2hrs with CSR & tech (they keep on insisting my install is tomorrow! wtf)

I keep on getting passed to different techs & finally the last tech tried a few more things and concluded that I need to wait 12hrs for my modem to be provisioned & configurations to finalize...............wtf........

I asked for a manager - was informed manager will call me back today (it was already 10pm).....

Finally fed up - luckily I still have my Fido modem & services...went to the basement & side of the house to hook back up Fido cables

WTF........let's see what VM says tomorrow

TL; DNR - bungled up install date, still installed on original date - slow connection & instructed to rebooted modem...........VM Valerie modem now shows error code, VM Tech can't trouble shoot & tells me to wait 12hrs for modem provisioning & network configuration
OMG what a terrible experience. My wife and I both now work from home and can't have a connection being down all day, not to mention my kids doing online classes. I hope they are able to get you sorted today.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23588 posts
5840 upvotes
Toronto
dpw198 wrote: OMG what a terrible experience. My wife and I both now work from home and can't have a connection being down all day, not to mention my kids doing online classes. I hope they are able to get you sorted today.
still no good news right now (3pm afternoon on Tues June 8th).....

No one came today & I haven't received a callback from a VM manager yet. I'm in meetings until 5pm and using the Fido modem & services....no way can I disconnect the Fido cable to test the VM modem - not until 5pm today.

So I'll finish up my meetings, log off at 5pm and hook back up the VM modem & see how things go............stay tuned

Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Feb 20, 2009
261 posts
216 upvotes
Mississauga
ji2o0k wrote: So I'll finish up my meetings, log off at 5pm and hook back up the VM modem & see how things go............stay tuned
Given your Valerie modem is in the basement... just an FYI to note the Bell homehubs could be hung on the wall closer to the ceiling (boosting Wi-Fi if needed.)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
ji2o0k wrote: still no good news right now (3pm afternoon on Tues June 8th).....

No one came today & I haven't received a callback from a VM manager yet. I'm in meetings until 5pm and using the Fido modem & services....no way can I disconnect the Fido cable to test the VM modem - not until 5pm today.

So I'll finish up my meetings, log off at 5pm and hook back up the VM modem & see how things go............stay tuned
Keep us posted.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23588 posts
5840 upvotes
Toronto
ok, finally got around to calling into VM at around 7pm.....

Was passed onto a very knowledgeable tech who went over the previous day's notes & knew exactly what to do. He worked his magic on his end (took 10-15mins) & asked me to factory reset the Valerie modem................**boom** - no more "Error 2001" and everything works.

Valerie speedtest confirms 124.11 down / 11.75 up with 9ms latency - how accurate is this?

Seems good so far - disabled Wifi and set up my Tplink Deco mesh, strong wifi throughout.

Now will try work's Teams video calling tomorrow - hopefully not as laggy.

Some initial bumps but all good now!!

Nothing at the moment
Sep 9, 2008
30 posts
20 upvotes
Got connected today. Looked around the configuration of the Valerie modem, it's pretty basic, and the modem is huge (physically), did not like it. Decided to ditch the modem from day one. Connected through the TP-Link media converter, and everything is working, getting 128/11 Mbps real speeds, with 1ms ping.

The technician had no clue what PPPoE was when I asked for my credentials. I had to tell him that it's the user name that starts with "b1" or "v2", and he clued in. Also, he installed the SFP into the modem incorrectly, leaving the locking lever in the up position, so the SFP was only held in the modem by friction. Discovered this when I was unplugging it to move into the media converter.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23588 posts
5840 upvotes
Toronto
agenkin wrote: Got connected today. Looked around the configuration of the Valerie modem, it's pretty basic, and the modem is huge (physically), did not like it. Decided to ditch the modem from day one. Connected through the TP-Link media converter, and everything is working, getting 128/11 Mbps real speeds, with 1ms ping.

The technician had no clue what PPPoE was when I asked for my credentials. I had to tell him that it's the user name that starts with "b1" or "v2", and he clued in. Also, he installed the SFP into the modem incorrectly, leaving the locking lever in the up position, so the SFP was only held in the modem by friction. Discovered this when I was unplugging it to move into the media converter.
curious - what router or modem are you using to replace the Valerie modem?

I just realized that my house (since it is a new construction) has the fibre optic cable to the home that Rogers was also using for my Fido Internet (150/15)................Rogers plugged the fibre cable into a "Lindsay Broadband optical node" in my basement

I'm wondering if there is any major difference in this case? Fido vs Virgin? Would VM be mainly lower latency? This might be better for my work video Team calls as Fido was majorly laggy during the day.

My work teams video call on Fido was super laggy, haven't had a Team video call yet today to test VM.........

Nothing at the moment
Sep 9, 2008
30 posts
20 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: curious - what router or modem are you using to replace the Valerie modem?
My setup is a bit oddball, but I'm happy to talk about it. It's like this:

Fiber -> media converter -> managed 5 port switch -> raspberry pi running OpenWRT as a router/firewall -> 24-port dumb switch.
The wireless is handled by a couple of TP-Link AC1350 access points, which are connected to the switch by cable.

Don't have anything to say about Rogers vs Bell fiber services.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1438 posts
620 upvotes
Canada
agenkin wrote: My setup is a bit oddball, but I'm happy to talk about it. It's like this:

Fiber -> media converter -> managed 5 port switch -> raspberry pi running OpenWRT as a router/firewall -> 24-port dumb switch.
The wireless is handled by a couple of TP-Link AC1350 access points, which are connected to the switch by cable.

Don't have anything to say about Rogers vs Bell fiber services.
Curious what else the 5 port switch is used for?
Sep 9, 2008
30 posts
20 upvotes
tntdeal wrote: Curious what else the 5 port switch is used for?
For VLAN tagging. The Raspberry Pi has only one ethernet port, so it's connected to the 5-port switch with one cable that carries two tagged VLANs - one for the WAN, and another for the LAN.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1438 posts
620 upvotes
Canada
agenkin wrote: For VLAN tagging. The Raspberry Pi has only one ethernet port, so it's connected to the 5-port switch with one cable that carries two tagged VLANs - one for the WAN, and another for the LAN.
Oh right, forgot the Raspberry Pi only has 1 Eth port. Your topology needs to map the RasPi back to the 5 port switch then to the 24 port ;)
Sep 9, 2008
30 posts
20 upvotes
tntdeal wrote: Oh right, forgot the Raspberry Pi only has 1 Eth port. Your topology needs to map the RasPi back to the 5 port switch then to the 24 port ;)
Yeah, I paused for a second when making the diagram, then decided that it should be a logical diagram, not the actual wiring.
It's possible to get a second port on a Pi with a USB dongle, but the VLAN tagging has been working fine for me.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
I notice that fast.com (netflix.com) seems to be bit throttled, vs. speedtest. Anyone else?
Feb 20, 2009
261 posts
216 upvotes
Mississauga
ji2o0k wrote: I just realized that my house (since it is a new construction) has the fibre optic cable to the home that Rogers was also using for my Fido Internet (150/15)................Rogers plugged the fibre cable into a "Lindsay Broadband optical node" in my basement.
If you can find any coaxial cable within the chain of cables for your Rogers set up (usually a coax into the modem), it is RF over Glass using DOCSIS. That would explain your latency during busy times. But it might have been the DOCSIS uplink limitation causing your Team's performance problems.

If from the green colour optical fibre all the way into the cable modem you don't see a coaxial cable, congrats you are one of the very few Rogers passive optical network customers.

Either way VM + Teams should be fine - VM's uplink at 10Mbps will run circles around Fido so-called 15Mbps.
Dec 22, 2010
669 posts
665 upvotes
Ontario
If you are hesitant to get this deal mainly because of Price may increase during subscription. I confirmed with an agent they don't increase in the first year, and you can cancel after 1 year. Just give them a call.
Feb 4, 2017
358 posts
426 upvotes
testmann wrote: If you are hesitant to get this deal mainly because of Price may increase during subscription. I confirmed with an agent they don't increase in the first year, and you can cancel after 1 year. Just give them a call.
You’re not going to see an increase for the next 2-3 years at least. VM just bumped up their prices in March for the first time, ever.
Dec 23, 2012
135 posts
40 upvotes
CONCORD
Anyone else in Newmarket have FTTH availability? L3X doesn't :(