Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Virgin Mobile

Virgin Mobile FTTH/FTTN - 100/10Mbps - $45/m (Ontario only)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2022 12:33 pm
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12441 posts
2183 upvotes
My installer said he would not drill any holes in the wall or ceiling, said techs haven't done that for over 10 years lol.

I asked for really long cable and I said I'll fish it through myself.
Banned
User avatar
Oct 26, 2014
326 posts
170 upvotes
416
Just got it, just moved to a building and only FTTN seemed available in it, which is fine.
Technician was on time, brought his own hardware (Steve modem since its FTTN), got everything done in about an hour or just over that.
Speeds are as advertised, 15ms latency.

For 45 a month, no contract, no modem rental and no set up fees this is perfect. A lot cheaper than Teksavvy!

Thanks
Images
  • 123123123.JPG
Sr. Member
Mar 5, 2007
890 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
weedb0y wrote: Was shopping around for internet for home, and due to COVID, current offerings from Cogeco, Rogers, Bell all seem to be less aggressive than in the past.

Ended up coming across this, cross-referenced on RFD, and didnt see any mention.

$45 a month for 100Mbps/10Mbps across FTTH or FTTN. The 50Mbps option is $5 bucks less.

https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/hot-offe ... offer.html

Signed up by calling in, mentioned the code ONTARIO35 and got it hooked up!

Coming from 1Gbit, but for day to day, it will make no major impact for zoom meetings, team calls, digital schooling, netflix, social media, and RFD! Considering its Bell FTTH, the latency and responsiveness may even be better for me.
LDN2012 wrote: Great deal, looks like Fido hasn't matched yet.

I went from Bell Gigabit to Virgin 100Mbps at the beginning of the year and it was virtually the same in terms of streaming and WFH zoom calls. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a reliable internet connection.
Do you guys know if 50Mbps from Virgin (assuming it’s FTTN?) would be enough for someone coming from a Rogers 500Mbps cable connection with 4 or so household users typically? We’ve had some issues w/ WFH Zoom calls but it could just be the VPN.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1305 posts
1118 upvotes
r3ddrag0nx wrote: Do you guys know if 50Mbps from Virgin (assuming it’s FTTN?) would be enough for someone coming from a Rogers 500Mbps cable connection with 4 or so household users typically? We’ve had some issues w/ WFH Zoom calls but it could just be the VPN.
50Mbps should be enough as zoom uses 1-4Mbps depending on the quality of the call.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... -and-Linux

I'm currently on the 100Mbps service (I'd recommend getting that for piece of mind if that's available) and I've had no issues with 2 users on calls/video throughout the day.
-
Member
Feb 4, 2017
358 posts
426 upvotes
r3ddrag0nx wrote: Do you guys know if 50Mbps from Virgin (assuming it’s FTTN?) would be enough for someone coming from a Rogers 500Mbps cable connection with 4 or so household users typically? We’ve had some issues w/ WFH Zoom calls but it could just be the VPN.
I ran 2 simultaneous 4k movies on my fire sticks with 50 mbps. Both worked fine no issues. 4 x 4k streams with a 50 mbps would not work out. It depends what those 4 individuals are doing and if they’re happening at the same time. My wife and I work from home and we have had no issues.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2004
4747 posts
2164 upvotes
Durham Region
r3ddrag0nx wrote: Do you guys know if 50Mbps from Virgin (assuming it’s FTTN?) would be enough for someone coming from a Rogers 500Mbps cable connection with 4 or so household users typically? We’ve had some issues w/ WFH Zoom calls but it could just be the VPN.
You'd be fine on the Download side no problem.

Upload might be a bit iffy if everyone is trying to do video calls with their camera on simultaneously, but Zoom will just lower your video quality to compensate.
Member
Nov 13, 2016
361 posts
263 upvotes
Would I be correct in assuming that this requires a phone line coming into the house (ie: DSL)? I only have cable and fibre connections entering the house.

Thanks,
Harry
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
23588 posts
5840 upvotes
Toronto
r3ddrag0nx wrote: Do you guys know if 50Mbps from Virgin (assuming it’s FTTN?) would be enough for someone coming from a Rogers 500Mbps cable connection with 4 or so household users typically? We’ve had some issues w/ WFH Zoom calls but it could just be the VPN.
I'm in a similar boat - I was coming from Fido's 150/15 cable internet which had a ton of Teams video calls laggy issues using work VPN & moved to Virgin's 100/10 Mpbs FTTH recently.

My work Teams video calls have improved slightly but I still get laggy video. I'm resigned to the fact it must be work's VPN & my location to their VPN server? No idea.....


But Virgin's download speeds have been consistently fast - so I'm happy!

Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Sr. Member
Mar 5, 2007
890 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
LDN2012 wrote:
50Mbps should be enough as zoom uses 1-4Mbps depending on the quality of the call.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... -and-Linux

I'm currently on the 100Mbps service (I'd recommend getting that for piece of mind if that's available) and I've had no issues with 2 users on calls/video throughout the day.
Sounds promising! For some reason, I can’t seem to get 100Mbps for my place yet. :/
Zoughi1 wrote: I ran 2 simultaneous 4k movies on my fire sticks with 50 mbps. Both worked fine no issues. 4 x 4k streams with a 50 mbps would not work out. It depends what those 4 individuals are doing and if they’re happening at the same time. My wife and I work from home and we have had no issues.
Thanks for the input! Yeah, we sometimes have a bad habit of streaming on various devices all at once, lol, so I would think at a minimum 100Mbps might be our threshold.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
r3ddrag0nx wrote: Do you guys know if 50Mbps from Virgin (assuming it’s FTTN?) would be enough for someone coming from a Rogers 500Mbps cable connection with 4 or so household users typically? We’ve had some issues w/ WFH Zoom calls but it could just be the VPN.
Yes, it's plenty, but I'd just opt for 50Mbps more for another $5 bucks, in case you got other use cases coming up later on (gaming, more streaming on the side etc).
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
slowtyper wrote: My installer said he would not drill any holes in the wall or ceiling, said techs haven't done that for over 10 years lol.

I asked for really long cable and I said I'll fish it through myself.
Yes, their role is to get the wire into the home, and get you one connection in addition for router / AP etc.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
HarryMuscle wrote: Would I be correct in assuming that this requires a phone line coming into the house (ie: DSL)? I only have cable and fibre connections entering the house.

Thanks,
Harry
Actually, the opposite. The future is fiber for Bell, and they prefer that. The connection is so much better than old DSL based tech. Best way is to check on their website and it will indicate connection type for your address.
Member
Nov 13, 2016
361 posts
263 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Actually, the opposite. The future is fiber for Bell, and they prefer that. The connection is so much better than old DSL based tech. Best way is to check on their website and it will indicate connection type for your address.
If this is fiber then why on earth would they not offer better upload speeds?

Thanks,
Harry
Sr. Member
Mar 5, 2007
890 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
weedb0y wrote: Yes, it's plenty, but I'd just opt for 50Mbps more for another $5 bucks, in case you got other use cases coming up later on (gaming, more streaming on the side etc).
Unfortunately it only gets up to 50Mbps for me but will definitely look into it again in the future when they support 100+ in my area.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4852 posts
4640 upvotes
Toronto
r3ddrag0nx wrote: We’ve had some issues w/ WFH Zoom calls but it could just be the VPN.
Very likely it's your VPN. Do a few speedtests with and without being connected to your VPN to see the difference.
Jr. Member
Jan 19, 2007
164 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
Question - I’m in the Swift rural broadband project area and Vianet will be laying the FTTH cable going live in December. If Virgin’s offer was available then could I ask them to hook me up by running the FTTH cable from Vianet cable? Curious who owns the cable? Vianet offers 100/10 for $99/month. Can any provider offer service? Also, how does it work in a new subdivision. Obviously each company does not run there own cables, or do they? Are you limited to whoever ran the cable? Been asking around but cannot get the same answer. Very knowledgeable people here. Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1629 posts
371 upvotes
Jackyt23 wrote: Anyone else in Newmarket have FTTH availability? L3X doesn't :(
FTTN is fine.. getting 100/10 in the area with Steve modem.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Tiger_paws wrote: Question - I’m in the Swift rural broadband project area and Vianet will be laying the FTTH cable going live in December. If Virgin’s offer was available then could I ask them to hook me up by running the FTTH cable from Vianet cable? Curious who owns the cable? Vianet offers 100/10 for $99/month. Can any provider offer service? Also, how does it work in a new subdivision. Obviously each company does not run there own cables, or do they? Are you limited to whoever ran the cable? Been asking around but cannot get the same answer. Very knowledgeable people here. Thanks
Each company runs their own last mile for fiber. They don't borrow from each other.
Sr. Member
Mar 5, 2007
890 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
I’m not trying to derail, so ignore, PM or respond at your own risk:

I’ve been looking around for a non-promo rate that beats what I’m currently getting for a 500Mpbs cable connection to freehold house in Toronto (which is overkill as the speeds sometimes aren’t that great anyhow) at $92/mth + $10 modem rental fee (zzz) less $40 discount (believed to be a persistent discount) = $62/mth+taxes.

It’s been hell trying to find something priced lower for a 100 to 300Mbps connection w/o annually expiring promos. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was really looking forward to Virgin but apparently I can only go as high as 50Mpbs which may not be enough for the household. Pensive Face
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
17024 posts
4813 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
HarryMuscle wrote: If this is fiber then why on earth would they not offer better upload speeds?

Thanks,
Harry
They do, under Bell brand and at a higher priced package.

This is artificially limited to not canabalize their Bell segment of customer base. If you need more than 10mbps on fiber, Bell would love to treat and serve you as their premium segment customer.

Top