Hot Deals

[Virgin Mobile] [YMMV] Virgin Mobile Winback $45/25GB + $400 devie credit (Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2021 6:05 pm
[OP]
Nov 10, 2019
83 posts
78 upvotes

[Virgin Mobile] [YMMV] Virgin Mobile Winback $45/25GB + $400 devie credit (Ontario)

In Ontario, I ported from Virgin over to Freedom on Friday and got a winback call today. Was offered the following
-$45 Monthly
-25GB LTE Data
-Unlimited Call/text
-1000 LD minutes
-$400 Device credit
[Update] - Was also offered $40 credit to cover activation with Freedom and $45 credit for device upgrade fee that would be charged.

I was with Virgin for over 13 months before porting out. Was on a $40 - 6GB (unlimited minutes and 1000LD minutes) loyalty plan with $10 credit that expired last month which forced me to make this change. THe loyalty was not offering me anything better - ($50-8GB) before porting out.

I have 2 questions that I thought the community could help me out.
1. I do not need a new cellphone but want to use that $400 to get one and sell it at the best possible price. The most sensible option to me is getting an iPhone 12 because other phones are discounted in market for outright purchase? Does that make sense? Also should I get 64GB or 128GB variant (prefer 128GB) since I think most people would be buying at least that amount of storage today.
2. If I cancel with Freedom, would they charge me only for the days I have used or for the full month?

Additional Info: The rep talked about 3 plans that are available under the winback. The other two were a $10 - 1GB plan and a $35 - 2GB plan (couldn't capture what he said exactly but I can confirm when he calls back confirmed)

Edit: Updated thread title and post to reflect location, added additional info.
Last edited by creativerbl on Nov 1st, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Carpe Diem!
113 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2007
1164 posts
211 upvotes
I would get the iPhone 12 128GB probably the most popular model this year so easiest to sell. As long as you didn’t take a device with Freedom, they should only charge you the pro rated amount.

What province are you in?
[OP]
Nov 10, 2019
83 posts
78 upvotes
kuzi wrote: I would get the iPhone 12 128GB probably the most popular model this year so easiest to sell. As long as you didn’t take a device with Freedom, they should only charge you the pro rated amount.

What province are you in?
That is what made sense to me as well. I am in Ontario. Do you think there is a colour that sells more easily than others (I personally like the blue one Smiling Face With Open Mouth)?
Carpe Diem!
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2007
1164 posts
211 upvotes
creativerbl wrote: That is what made sense to me as well. I am in Ontario. Do you think there is a colour that sells more easily than others (I personally like the blue one Smiling Face With Open Mouth)?

Blue is nice but black might sell easier

Do you have to use the $400 right away?
[OP]
Nov 10, 2019
83 posts
78 upvotes
kuzi wrote: Blue is nice but black might sell easier

Do you have to use the $400 right away?
I asked the rep if I have to use the $400 right away and he said the phone has to be ordered with the plan activation right now. I can try asking and pushing for it when he calls back
Carpe Diem!
Oct 31, 2020
1 posts
2 upvotes
If you’re thinking of reselling it immediately, I think to get your full $400 back you’re better off getting a different option. Apple products have amazing value retention but if you’re buying a locked $1200 phone just to sell it at $1200 I don’t think you’ll be getting anywhere close to that, especially when they can buy it from apple unlocked.

You are best off getting something closer to the $400 price point that has released very recently such that the value is retained. I think google just released a new budget phone if I’m not mistaken, and those arguably have a better resale value opposed to other competitors aside from Apple. That way you don’t risk losing any of your own money on selling back a free device and you have a higher potential of getting back the full $400.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2019
83 posts
78 upvotes
canvas100 wrote: If you’re thinking of reselling it immediately, I think to get your full $400 back you’re better off getting a different option. Apple products have amazing value retention but if you’re buying a locked $1200 phone just to sell it at $1200 I don’t think you’ll be getting anywhere close to that, especially when they can buy it from apple unlocked.

You are best off getting something closer to the $400 price point that has released very recently such that the value is retained. I think google just released a new budget phone if I’m not mistaken, and those arguably have a better resale value opposed to other competitors aside from Apple. That way you don’t risk losing any of your own money on selling back a free device and you have a higher potential of getting back the full $400.
Why would you say it is a locked phone? As far as I know, phones that you get here in Canada are all carrier unlocked.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_Phone_Freedom_Act
Carpe Diem!
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1201 posts
979 upvotes
Toronto
I ported from virgin to fido in September....no calls yet! Thats an absolutely amazing offer! $45 for 25 GB might be the best plan (lowest price with most amount of data on a proper non-aws network)!!!
Last edited by pererac on Nov 2nd, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
1756 posts
1903 upvotes
Locked phones died in 2017 in Canada
canvas100 wrote: If you’re thinking of reselling it immediately, I think to get your full $400 back you’re better off getting a different option. Apple products have amazing value retention but if you’re buying a locked $1200 phone just to sell it at $1200 I don’t think you’ll be getting anywhere close to that, especially when they can buy it from apple unlocked.

[OP]
Nov 10, 2019
83 posts
78 upvotes
pererac wrote: I ported from virgin to fido in September....no calls yet! Thats an absolutely amazing offer! $45 for 25 GB might be the best plan (lowest price with most about of data on a proper non-aws network)!!!
Same thoughts. I do not need this much data but thought this would help in the longer run. It is an absolute beast of an offer. Last year when we first got the plan, it was $55 for 4GB.
Carpe Diem!
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1201 posts
979 upvotes
Toronto
creativerbl wrote: Same thoughts. I do not need this much data but thought this would help in the longer run. It is an absolute beast of an offer. Last year when we first got the plan, it was $55 for 4GB.
$60 for 6 gb with caller ID and VM was the og best plan.

Then, $60 for 10 GB

Then this Summer's $55 for 13 GB

EPP from Bell/Rogers/telus is next up with $50 for 20 GB......but need a hook up and not for self employed.

Now this! A beast for sure! And I'd like to add that the member benefits from virgin are superior to fido xtra crap - and the signal with virgin/bell - is it far superior to fido....in Mississauga/Toronto.

Customer service? You can squeeze fido! With virgin/bell, only if you're able to get direct local numbers of Canadian based service reps.

I'm jealous I haven't received this offer yet.
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Dec 28, 2019
40 posts
282 upvotes
Hmmm, OP do you have the winback number?

I'm with virgin right now, so wondering if I should switch over to freedom then port back to virgin?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2708 posts
530 upvotes
Ottawa
I switched from Virgin to Rogers for the $50/20GB EPP plan on Friday. Got called from Virgin winback today and they could only offer $75/20GB with $400 device credit.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2019
83 posts
78 upvotes
XavierS31426 wrote: Hmmm, OP do you have the winback number?

I'm with virgin right now, so wondering if I should switch over to freedom then port back to virgin?
They sent me an email to callback on +18772393158. Try switching over to Freedom on BYOP and wait for it. Black friday is around the corner so
Carpe Diem!
Oct 20, 2020
9 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Did anyone who is already with Virgin tried asking for this promo?
[OP]
Nov 10, 2019
83 posts
78 upvotes
leadeal5 wrote: Did anyone who is already with Virgin tried asking for this promo?
While I was with Virgin and looking to port out, I had 2 conversations with them and the best they could offer was $50-8GB
Carpe Diem!
Aug 27, 2019
17 posts
17 upvotes
Does the $10 - 1gb plan Include unlimited talk and text?
Apr 25, 2019
287 posts
422 upvotes
I wonder if I could get this plan when transferring from Lucky Mobile. Going to chat with them.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25