• Sep 13th, 2019 1:53 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1254 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto

Virgin Mobile's new $5/m charge for pay per use prepaid

Not sure who's on Virgin's pay per use prepaid plan and how many people this will, but figured I'd let you guys know, just in case anybody missed their message.

Virgin sent me a text last week about a new $5 monthly charge for the pay per use prepaid plan, even if you don't use the service, and not including any add-ons. Right now I'm using this plan, alongside the 100mb data add-on, and it fit my needs perfectly for many years; I don't call or text much, and data only when necessary. But $5 for 10 minutes of talk time, then $10 for the 100mb of data, seems wiser to just switch to a monthly plan.

Most likely though, I'll just switch to 711 Speakout once my balance runs out; they charge $1.25/m for "911 Emergency Service Access Fee". which is not unreasonable, unlike $5, which seems a bit much imo.
Rambox_2019.05.22_13.15.32.jpg
"signature removed for rule violations" Hell ya, that's what we do! 😝
7 replies
Jul 16, 2013
521 posts
171 upvotes
U might as well switch to one of those: chart PC Lucky. They give u bonus 250mb and lots and and texts for same price.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1254 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto
ZenaZ927 wrote: U might as well switch to one of those: chart PC Lucky. They give u bonus 250mb and lots and and texts for same price.
Haven't looked much into Lucky, but it doesn't seem too bad; $15/m is what I'll be paying, and with them that gets you 100 mins of talk, unlimited text, and 250mb of data.
"signature removed for rule violations" Hell ya, that's what we do! 😝
Nov 24, 2016
10 posts
8 upvotes
I dunno about other's experiences, but Virgin Mobile has been the nastiest and sneakiest company I have ever dealt with in my life. You have been warned. I was lied to endless times by both mall kiosk employees and customer service call center employees. You cannot trust anything they say ever. Even when it's written, there are omissions which you only find out about later. Customer service doesn't allow you to escalate to a real manager. You have been forewarned.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5562 posts
2147 upvotes
Debtario
rickieD wrote: I dunno about other's experiences, but Virgin Mobile has been the nastiest and sneakiest company I have ever dealt with in my life. You have been warned. I was lied to endless times by both mall kiosk employees and customer service call center employees. You cannot trust anything they say ever. Even when it's written, there are omissions which you only find out about later. Customer service doesn't allow you to escalate to a real manager. You have been forewarned.
That's because they are Bell Canada, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! Their service and CS have been great, until I tried to cancel recently.

I just left for PM because of the $5 price hike on my already shitty monthly plan, I called on monday to cancel immediately and was told today will be my last day of service. Still had service so called back Thursday and found out I'll be cancelled at the end of the billing cycle. Demanded to cancel NOW, placed on hold and sent to customer solutions, again had to say I want to cancel NOW. Ok, thought that was it, then get called by customer solutions a few hours later offering me an even worse deal than what they had for me earlier this month. I straight up told them what I'm getting with PM and the agent just gave up saying that's a good deal and they can't match that, it seems she was more interested in knowing if reception/call quality were my reasons of leaving. Finally lost service thursday evening, now just anticipating another fight getting my money back since they auto-billed me already.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Dec 22, 2011
3 posts
MISSISSAUGA
I've been using pay as you go with Virgin since 2007 and just found out about this now, looks like it is no longer 'pay as you go' and now a $5 monthly plan.
Sep 6, 2016
187 posts
133 upvotes
Calgary
pete_rfd wrote: Most likely though, I'll just switch to 711 Speakout once my balance runs out; they charge $1.25/m for "911 Emergency Service Access Fee". which is not unreasonable, unlike $5, which seems a bit much imo.
Speakout's cheapest plan is $10/mo atm, plus the $1.25 emergency service fee. Did they used to have a true pay as you go plan with no monthly fee (except the $1.25)?