• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2023 7:53 pm
[OP]
Jun 22, 2014
524 posts
194 upvotes
Markham, ON

Virgin Plus - Open Credit?

Not sure if this is normal... hoping people can chime in.

Recently signed up to be a new VirginMobile customer. They told me they needed a credit check which I was fine with.

Just got an email from Credit Karma about a new account. Turns out, there's a new "open credit" account with Virgin Plus that shows right beside my open credit cards.

This can't be normal? Like, this is essentially saying "here's a line of credit for your cell phone bill".
17 replies
Feb 21, 2009
392 posts
490 upvotes
It's normal for postpaid connections as essentially they're giving you credit, hence requires credit check.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2014
524 posts
194 upvotes
Markham, ON
So, credit check I'm fine with. I understand the need.

But what I have on my credit report is a new hard check from virgin plus, as well as a new "open" account. As of today, it shows the most recent monthly bill, similar to how I see my visa / master cards.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4310 posts
1961 upvotes
Quebec
Yep, same here with telus i recently subscribed
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13440 posts
8813 upvotes
Markham
Biskuits wrote: So, credit check I'm fine with. I understand the need.

But what I have on my credit report is a new hard check from virgin plus, as well as a new "open" account. As of today, it shows the most recent monthly bill, similar to how I see my visa / master cards.
But you did open an account
[OP]
Jun 22, 2014
524 posts
194 upvotes
Markham, ON
smartie wrote: But you did open an account
By account, I mean a credit account showing on my Transunion credit report as an open credit, similar to how an open master card account would show.

Not referring to an account with Virgin.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2014
524 posts
194 upvotes
Markham, ON
HyperTech wrote: Yep, same here with telus i recently subscribed
That's kind of weird, as I've actually just left Telus for Virgin and I've never seen this before.

Maybe it's like being randomly selected at the TSA, except this has negative impact on our credit reports....
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13440 posts
8813 upvotes
Markham
Biskuits wrote: By account, I mean a credit account showing on my Transunion credit report as an open credit, similar to how an open master card account would show.

But postpaid account is credit account
Nov 29, 2022
62 posts
92 upvotes
My Fido account from two years ago is still on my credit file even tho I already closed it and switch to Freedom. So yes that sounds normal.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
3329 posts
701 upvotes
Biskuits wrote: By account, I mean a credit account showing on my Transunion credit report as an open credit, similar to how an open master card account would show.

Virgin Plus is Virgin
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5954 posts
4015 upvotes
Biskuits wrote: That's kind of weird, as I've actually just left Telus for Virgin and I've never seen this before.

Maybe it's like being randomly selected at the TSA, except this has negative impact on our credit reports...
Bell, Fido, Koodo, Rogers, TELUS, Virgin, they all report the same way for personal postpaid accounts. Nobody gets special treatment.
Jul 3, 2017
177 posts
188 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Accounts report either as Open, Installment or Revolving.

Open means no set limit, paid in full each month. Telco trades and charge cards report as such.
Installment is a loan with a fixed payment.
Revolving is a credit card or loc with a limit and minimum payments required each month.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9500 posts
10791 upvotes
The Prairies
Biskuits wrote: That's kind of weird, as I've actually just left Telus for Virgin and I've never seen this before.

Maybe it's like being randomly selected at the TSA, except this has negative impact on our credit reports....
I'm surprised you're surprised that these accounts show up on your credit file, especially if you've had post paid cell service in the past.
As you can see, this isn't anything new.

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 7.43.08 PM.png

I have many post paid accounts opened and closed over the years.
No problem with your credit score as long as you pay what you owe, when it's due.
A cell phone account must be 100% paid in full every month, or else you'll be (possibly) marked as late or missed payment.
You cannot roll over any amount to the next month like you can a credit card.
All cell phone post paid accounts are considered "open" credit type.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2014
524 posts
194 upvotes
Markham, ON
coolintheshade wrote: I'm surprised you're surprised that these accounts show up on your credit file, especially if you've had post paid cell service in the past.
As you can see, this isn't anything new.

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 7.43.08 PM.png

I have many post paid accounts opened and closed over the years.
No problem with your credit score as long as you pay what you owe, when it's due.
A cell phone account must be 100% paid in full every month, or else you'll be (possibly) marked as late or missed payment.
You cannot roll over any amount to the next month like you can a credit card.
All cell phone post paid accounts are considered "open" credit type.
Appreciate the detailed reply! 15+ years of having my own post paid plans through various carriers, and this is the first time I've seen it come up as an open credit, so got worried for a moment.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24397 upvotes
Center of Universe
Biskuits wrote: Appreciate the detailed reply! 15+ years of having my own post paid plans through various carriers, and this is the first time I've seen it come up as an open credit, so got worried for a moment.
Maybe your previous postpaid accounts showed up in Equifax.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3099 posts
2268 upvotes
@coolintheshade is that American Express open account a charge card? Interesting that they actually keep credit and charge cards separately.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)