Parenting & Family

Virtual SK French Immersion

[OP]
Apr 30, 2017
129 posts
52 upvotes

Virtual SK French Immersion

Our daughter is entering SK in the French immersion stream. We are thinking of registering her for virtual instead and are wondering if anyone has had virtual SK French Immersion experience from last year and how it worked out for your children.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2540 posts
2489 upvotes
Ottawa
For others who aren't in Ontario and aren't familiar with the JK/SK terminology, SK is "Senior Kindergarten" in Ontario. It's for 5 year olds.

SK is equivalent to "Primary" in Nova Scotia or "Kindergarten" in every other province.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15230 posts
20497 upvotes
Vancouver
Dynatos wrote: For others who aren't in Ontario and aren't familiar with the JK/SK terminology, SK is "Senior Kindergarten" in Ontario. It's for 5 year olds.

SK is equivalent to "Primary" in Nova Scotia or "Kindergarten" in every other province.
And here I thought SK meant Saskatchewan...
Dec 1, 2003
571 posts
209 upvotes
Ottawa
I cannot speak for SK but our 8 years old didn't like virtual class last year. It had a big impact on the mental well-being of not being able to mingle with others. I know safety is important during the covid time but the virtual class is really not ideal for lower grades children.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3651 posts
1393 upvotes
Woodbridge
Unless there are very serious and unique factors that support keeping a child at home, I would send them to school. Academics is just one component of education and even if virtual learning could effectively support academic development, there are other socio-emotional factors that need to be considered. These are some of the most important years in a child's development, and while many people have read the headlines that tests show "learning loss" or that kids are a few months behind, I fear that the long term developmental impact of keeping kids at home won't be understood for years. I'd discuss this with your pediatrician and strongly consider the whole picure.