• May 29th, 2020 2:19 pm
[OP]
May 8, 2015
320 posts
191 upvotes
East York, ON

Virtual Visa Card at grocery stores

Hello
Question for those who recently had to do with virtual visa cards.
The terms and conditions say that those cards are better to use online. However, some physical stores might as well accept them.
The cards look like regular visa cards. They have a 16-digits number, expiry date and CVV.
Are they accepted at grocery stores in ON? How about Metro, Sobeys? Does one need to print them out, or is it sufficient to show them on the phone with all number clearly visible?
Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3264 posts
1800 upvotes
Leasiderin wrote: Hello
Question for those who recently had to do with virtual visa cards.
The terms and conditions say that those cards are better to use online. However, some physical stores might as well accept them.
The cards look like regular visa cards. They have a 16-digits number, expiry date and CVV.
Are they accepted at grocery stores in ON? How about Metro, Sobeys? Does one need to print them out, or is it sufficient to show them on the phone with all number clearly visible?
Thanks!
I have used electronic gift card in store without problem. Just show card in the phone to the cashier and she will scan it. What kind of Visa and how did you get it?
[OP]
May 8, 2015
320 posts
191 upvotes
East York, ON
I earned it online. This is the card as it looks in 'digital wallet'.
visa10 blacked.jpg
Looks like it Is best to use for gift cards online, however, not sure that I could find much use for them. Have purchased one of Walmart, hoping that I may occasionally stop by them for groceries once in a while.
My regular stores are Sobeys, Metro and a few other retailers. It would be great to use my visa cards there.
Another concern is to actually show the visa card at the cash register. I guess I would have to send the above picture to my phone. The cashier might have to enter the numbers manually...
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3331 posts
1080 upvotes
Ontario
I either use mine to reload my Amazon.ca acct or to pay towards my Bell bill online. With either you can choose the amount you wish to pay. (Amazon has a minimum of $0.15, I think)
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.2%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Jun 5, 2016
580 posts
716 upvotes
I hope no cashier is willing to enter that number manually...

I haven't worked in a store for a while but if we did a manual enter we needed to take an imprint of the card too. So we couldn't manually enter this or any physical cards with non embossed numbers.
[OP]
May 8, 2015
320 posts
191 upvotes
East York, ON
minimalist wrote: I either use mine to reload my Amazon.ca acct or to pay towards my Bell bill online. With either you can choose the amount you wish to pay. (Amazon has a minimum of $0.15, I think)
For the Bell bill, is it possible to use one or two $10 virtual visa cards, and then pay the rest with my regular credit card?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1574 posts
691 upvotes
Canada
Leasiderin wrote: For the Bell bill, is it possible to use one or two $10 virtual visa cards, and then pay the rest with my regular credit card?
Use online payment system and you can use as many cards as you want by making separate transactions
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1574 posts
691 upvotes
Canada
fremmy wrote: I hope no cashier is willing to enter that number manually...

I haven't worked in a store for a while but if we did a manual enter we needed to take an imprint of the card too. So we couldn't manually enter this or any physical cards with non embossed numbers.
That is correct - a virtual gift card should not be used in a physical store. If stores accept a virtual card in person, they are on the hook for any chargebacks.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15061 posts
12147 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Leasiderin wrote: For the Bell bill, is it possible to use one or two $10 virtual visa cards, and then pay the rest with my regular credit card?
cahk wrote: Use online payment system and you can use as many cards as you want by making separate transactions
Ya the main thing is they accept the card as a form of payment ...
Not that they’ll accept multiple forms of payment on the same transaction.

If they don’t take multiples ...
Then do your pay offs individually one at a time.

No penalty to making multiple payments in a month against a Bell Bill etc
[OP]
May 8, 2015
320 posts
191 upvotes
East York, ON
Just paid $10 towards my Internet bill with that card.
Thanks for sharing your experiences!