• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 4:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 24, 2007
3587 posts
886 upvotes
North York

Virus help

Windows defenders show all clear - however McAfee Advisory (subscription expired recently) shows malware infection (virus detected 7). I am confused.

Is there a free virus protection that I could use to do another scan?

TIA
12 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 12, 2004
11568 posts
2177 upvotes
Guelph
AVG free version or the built in one from Windows. Also search for malware.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
2594 posts
1498 upvotes
Ontario
Tons of free scanners you can try from Symantec, Kaspersky, Microsoft etc etc...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2059 posts
1448 upvotes
Vancouver
Back when I was a regular Windows user, I would find it easier to reinstall Windows, than to bother finding all the virus traces. But be careful of re-infection from backups
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4926 posts
1957 upvotes
Malwarebytes is not bad either.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44480 posts
7724 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: Back when I was a regular Windows user, I would find it easier to reinstall Windows, than to bother finding all the virus traces. But be careful of re-infection from backups
Or if injected into memory.
Blanka
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44480 posts
7724 upvotes
sheriffabc wrote: Windows defenders show all clear - however McAfee Advisory (subscription expired recently) shows malware infection (virus detected 7). I am confused.

Is there a free virus protection that I could use to do another scan?

TIA
Are you able to see what it detected and possibly quarantined?
Blanka
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 24, 2007
3587 posts
886 upvotes
North York
djemzine wrote: Are you able to see what it detected and possibly quarantined?
no, it doesn't show that - however did a restore, ran defender and downloaded a trial version of Malwarebytes. Is there a free version of Malwarebytes or just the trial version - I couldn't find a free version.
Member
Feb 9, 2008
407 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sheriffabc wrote: no, it doesn't show that - however did a restore, ran defender and downloaded a trial version of Malwarebytes. Is there a free version of Malwarebytes or just the trial version - I couldn't find a free version.
After the trial, it converts to free version which you must manually run scans (vs real-time protection of paid/trial version).
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44480 posts
7724 upvotes
sheriffabc wrote: no, it doesn't show that - however did a restore, ran defender and downloaded a trial version of Malwarebytes. Is there a free version of Malwarebytes or just the trial version - I couldn't find a free version.
How many days back did you restore the OS to? I believe Malwarebytes does offer a "free" version as in the features are limited trial. Only free feature is "Detects and removes malware and other advanced threats."

Have you checked your task manager for any known malicious processes? There is a tool called Autoruns: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/autoruns

Install that and you can check to see if there is any persistence mechanisms in your restore. Hopefully it is just PuP (Potentially unwanted programs) and not an actual malware that can cause performance issues, exfiltrate any data or communicate to any C2 (Command and Control) server.
Blanka
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 24, 2007
3587 posts
886 upvotes
North York
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate all your input and suggestions.

Top