Travel

Visa on arrival for Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Brunei?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2019 1:29 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19791 posts
674 upvotes
Shanghai, China

Visa on arrival for Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Brunei?

Does anyone here know if a Canadian passport holder can just apply for a visa on when they at the airport?
13 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19791 posts
674 upvotes
Shanghai, China
scuba2day wrote: Indonesia - Visa Free for 30 days
Brunei - Visa Free for 14 days
Cambodia - eVisa or VOA
Vietnam - eVisa
Vietnam is e-visa only? Damn...would have been nice with VOA though.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19554 posts
4164 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Sgt_Strider wrote: Vietnam is e-visa only? Damn...would have been nice with VOA though.
The eVisa for Canada passport holders is ultra-easy. Just make sure you go the official website. It is US$27. (Be careful, there are many other copycat sites and other sites pretending to the be government of Vietnam.)

I did this recently. It took just a few minutes to fill out the website form, then I received the PDF approval letter after 2 days. Show it at the border.
Actually it saves you a step since you don't have to take an approval letter to the VoA desk at the airport before going to the main customs lineup.
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19791 posts
674 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Jucius Maximus wrote: The eVisa for Canada passport holders is ultra-easy. Just make sure you go the official website. It is US$27. (Be careful, there are many other copycat sites and other sites pretending to the be government of Vietnam.)

I did this recently. It took just a few minutes to fill out the website form, then I received the PDF approval letter after 2 days. Show it at the border.
Actually it saves you a step since you don't have to take an approval letter to the VoA desk at the airport before going to the main customs lineup.
I've done the Vietnam e-visa before. I did it last year so I'm familiar with it. The problem is that I'm currently outside of Canada with no laptop and printer. I only have an iPhone and iPad. It's a pain in the ass to try to do something like this. Just thought I would ask and see if I can do a last minute trip to Vietnam. Oh well, next year then since I'll be back in Asia. I'll just go somewhere that allows VOA. I do have my passport size photos in my suitcase.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19554 posts
4164 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Sgt_Strider wrote: I've done the Vietnam e-visa before. I did it last year so I'm familiar with it. The problem is that I'm currently outside of Canada with no laptop and printer. I only have an iPhone and iPad. It's a pain in the ass to try to do something like this. Just thought I would ask and see if I can do a last minute trip to Vietnam. Oh well, next year then since I'll be back in Asia. I'll just go somewhere that allows VOA. I do have my passport size photos in my suitcase.
These are some pretty weak executes. If you really want to go, load up the website on your iPad. You can upload a JPEG photo of your face. Go to an internet cafe to print out the PDF.
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19791 posts
674 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Jucius Maximus wrote: These are some pretty weak executes. If you really want to go, load up the website on your iPad. You can upload a JPEG photo of your face. Go to an internet cafe to print out the PDF.
lol. It is, but since SE Asia is pretty big and I'll be back in a couple of months, no need to waste my time doing this now.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8673 posts
3138 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote: The eVisa for Canada passport holders is ultra-easy. Just make sure you go the official website. It is US$27. (Be careful, there are many other copycat sites and other sites pretending to the be government of Vietnam.)

It says US$25 now. But it's single entry only. Can't seem to find info for multiple entry.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19554 posts
4164 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Arrgh wrote: It says US$25 now. But it's single entry only. Can't seem to find info for multiple entry.
At the end they charge an additional $2 fee for credit card processing. Of course they only inform you of this at the end, after you entered your info, and there is no way to avoid this fee or pay by some other means. :facepalm:

If you want multi-entry, I still think you need to go through an agency like Vietnam Visa Pro or many other competing companies.

Vietnam is known for scams, but this still isn't as bad as going through the Canadian Embassy. The Vietnam Embassy to Canada website also advertises a $25 cost, but that is only for SHIPPING! Look at the google reviews, they actually charge your card around $150. Nowhere in the paperwork do they tell you the real cost. You have to write your credit card number on the paperwork, and you only find out after when you see it on your credit card statement. VietScam at its finest, scamming you through their government, even before you get on the plane. I advise all eligible people to get the eVisa.

In the end, my eVisa was billed in VND, and the end price was VND $ 601,811 (~ CA $ 35).
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19791 posts
674 upvotes
Shanghai, China
scuba2day wrote: Indonesia - Visa Free for 30 days
Brunei - Visa Free for 14 days
Cambodia - eVisa or VOA
Vietnam - eVisa
I forgot to ask if the VOA requires a fee and if so, will I have to pay in USD or local currency? Will I have ATM access to get cash before clearing immigration?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8673 posts
3138 upvotes
Toronto
We're planning to go to Ho Chi Ming. From there take a 3-day side trip to Siem Reap, to see Angkor Wat, then come back to SGN. I tried to find info to do multiple entry visa to Vietnam, but it doesn't seem easy or worth it. Looks like it's easier to just do two single-entry evisas for Vietnam.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19791 posts
674 upvotes
Shanghai, China
I gotta bump this thread cuz I got travels coming up and I still haven't sorted out my visas yet. For Cambodia and Philippines, will I need a passport size photo upon arrival for visa on arrival? Do I have to pay in local currency for the visas or can I just pay with USD or CAD?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8673 posts
3138 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote: I gotta bump this thread cuz I got travels coming up and I still haven't sorted out my visas yet. For Cambodia and Philippines, will I need a passport size photo upon arrival for visa on arrival? Do I have to pay in local currency for the visas or can I just pay with USD or CAD?
For Cambodia, I was told to pay USD. In fact, in most of Cambodia you can pay USD. However, paying USD means you're a tourist and they can, actually they often, charge more in USD than if you pay in Cambodian Riel equivalent. But if you're not travelling long, it might not be worthwhile to convert into Riel and then the rest back.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19791 posts
674 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Arrgh wrote: For Cambodia, I was told to pay USD. In fact, in most of Cambodia you can pay USD. However, paying USD means you're a tourist and they can, actually they often, charge more in USD than if you pay in Cambodian Riel equivalent. But if you're not travelling long, it might not be worthwhile to convert into Riel and then the rest back.
Thx for the tip, but I'm asking about the visa.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8673 posts
3138 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote: Thx for the tip, but I'm asking about the visa.
I responded to you about paying for the visa, VOA.