(Visions, Costco, BB, 2001) LG OLED 65C9 $3298 55C9 $2298 65B9 $2998 55B9 $1998

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 11:30 pm
Tags:
Sep 16, 2008
57 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder about the extended warranty all stores offer. Everyone scares me something will happen but I still get a year with LG and additional year with my credit card. Do you think it's enough?
BTW, seem like the CNE deal is the best so far, 2999 tax in which is 2654 plus tax. Anyone found it cheaper? I talked to the LG guy there and he said boxing day/ black friday it will come down to 2999 plus tax.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17796 posts
4377 upvotes
Toronto
Mart99 wrote: Got the c9 65" from teletime . 3k out the door.

I also called lg to ask about burn in. So they said its covered for 2 years. The first year both pannel and labour is covered. For the second year, only the pannel is covered and the consumer would have to cover labour. I did not get anything in writing but people can call themselves to confirm.
CNE or Teletime store? Last year Teletime stores usually wouldn’t price match their own CNE pricing.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17796 posts
4377 upvotes
Toronto
rock26 wrote: I wonder about the extended warranty all stores offer. Everyone scares me something will happen but I still get a year with LG and additional year with my credit card. Do you think it's enough?
BTW, seem like the CNE deal is the best so far, 2999 tax in which is 2654 plus tax. Anyone found it cheaper? I talked to the LG guy there and he said boxing day/ black friday it will come down to 2999 plus tax.
Warranties usually don’t cover burn in but Best Buy’s does.
Mar 9, 2008
440 posts
91 upvotes
At Bestbuy, I got $3299-100 + 49 delivery - 330 gift card before tax for 65 inch

Not as good as CNE but BB say Teletime is not authorized dealer and can not be returned so I am paying for the return policy I guess....I am wondering return is included pick up at ur home with the 49 shipping charge...

They offer me 200 for 5 year warranty...not sure if that is a good deal..
Jul 21, 2015
393 posts
265 upvotes
North York, ON
haranzo wrote: At Bestbuy, I got $3299-100 + 49 delivery - 330 gift card before tax for 65 inch

Not as good as CNE but BB say Teletime is not authorized dealer and can not be returned so I am paying for the return policy I guess....I am wondering return is included pick up at ur home with the 49 shipping charge...

They offer me 200 for 5 year warranty...not sure if that is a good deal..
Teletime is authorized lg dealer, thata for sure.

But they do have a basically no return policy( unless sth really went wrong)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17796 posts
4377 upvotes
Toronto
sghgigi wrote: Teletime is authorized lg dealer, thata for sure.

But they do have a basically no return policy( unless sth really went wrong)
Yes. Correct on both counts. Teletime is definitely an authorized reseller but they have a crappy return policy.

If you’re concerned about the panel lottery then you’re better off buying from a place like Costco or Best Buy.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1170 posts
178 upvotes
Well, Costco seemed the best deal for the 55c8 at $1499. The 90 day return policy makes this one the winner as i am safe for black friday c9 or if they drop price on c8 further on clearance.

Best Buy wanted $1799 (new) and $1599 (open box). The c9 cost $2399 (or was it $2299) but it came with a 10% gift card that basically made it $2K.
Jan 5, 2017
197 posts
133 upvotes
EugW wrote: Yes. Correct on both counts. Teletime is definitely an authorized reseller but they have a crappy return policy.

If you’re concerned about the panel lottery then you’re better off buying from a place like Costco or Best Buy.
I was told 30 days for an exchange if im not happy with the panel or a 20% restocking fee if i want to change my tv. Maybe depends where you go. Worst case scenerio and its a bad panel, go through LG warranty.
Mar 9, 2008
440 posts
91 upvotes
I got 2299-100 = 2199 because I argued that the VIP sales says 700 dollars off, but their price tags before the VIP sale says it's 2299 save 500. So I assume VIP would be 2099 now with the additional 200 off.

I argued it's misleading and false advisement, and they gave me 100 off. I was Still pissed to be honest... because I found out they charged me the full 2299 without the 200 off after I paid.

Note Bestbuy charge shipping of 50 dollars
Sep 16, 2008
57 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone tell me if the warranty worth the money? Burn in is not covered any way.
and what is the panel lottery?
Jul 21, 2015
393 posts
265 upvotes
North York, ON
rock26 wrote: Can anyone tell me if the warranty worth the money? Burn in is not covered any way.
and what is the panel lottery?
It is like buying a peace of mind for x years.

You might never need it, you might need it a few times each year.

Like extended life insurance, you do not consider if it is worth it. You buy it for just in case if it happens it would be better than if you didnt buy it.

Same as the tv.
Jul 21, 2015
393 posts
265 upvotes
North York, ON
Mart99 wrote: I was told 30 days for an exchange if im not happy with the panel or a 20% restocking fee if i want to change my tv. Maybe depends where you go. Worst case scenerio and its a bad panel, go through LG warranty.
Ya you can exchange it. But generally no "Return".

I was too concerned if they accidentally run out of stock when you need to exchange and you have to wait, etc. Since you have no way to check their stock.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1170 posts
178 upvotes
haranzo wrote: I got 2299-100 = 2199 because I argued that the VIP sales says 700 dollars off, but their price tags before the VIP sale says it's 2299 save 500. So I assume VIP would be 2099 now with the additional 200 off.

I argued it's misleading and false advisement, and they gave me 100 off. I was Still pissed to be honest... because I found out they charged me the full 2299 without the 200 off after I paid.

Note Bestbuy charge shipping of 50 dollars
Did they not give you the 10% gift card too? The one by me mentioned the $240 gift card right away when I asked the price. No gift card for the C8.
Dec 29, 2010
86 posts
8 upvotes
I told BB i got an offer for the C9 65" for 2799, they said the best they can do is 2999 with no GC. I left. Will go get it for 2799.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17796 posts
4377 upvotes
Toronto
rock26 wrote: what is the panel lottery?
Panel lottery is the concept that not all panels are the same even when non-defective. Some have more uniformity issues for example than others. All OLEDs (and TVs in general for that matter) have some level of uniformity issue, but most of the time it's not visible while watching real content. Nonetheless, it's possible to get one that's especially bad, but which isn't bad enough to trigger a warranty return. The uber geeks people with more discerning tastes will buy from a store that allows easy return so that if they get a worse than average panel, they'll return it and get another one.

---

As for the warranty, I buy all my TVs with my Amex, which gives me a second year of warranty already. Now, if my TV unexpectedly dies in 3-4 years and I don't have store extended warranty, then c'est la vie. It's a good excuse to upgrade to that 77" OLED I've always wanted. ;) Think of it this way though: Stores make a crapload of profit on store warranties. Why? Because they rarely need to pay up on them. Personally, I don't need the peace of mind that such a warranty provides. I'd rather just save the couple of hundred dollars up front.

The main time I think getting that extended warranty makes sense is when a store like Best Buy won't compromise much on price, but is willing to throw in the store warranty for free to compensate. That's a reasonable option if you don't have a Top Choice or Teletime nearby that will give you bargain basement pricing. Furthermore, Best Buy has the added bonus of actually being one of the few that cover burn-in. The other thing Best Buy does to sweeten the deal is to throw in free calibration, but I think this is useless because Best Buy techs don't have the capability to calibrate 4K HDR. As of last year they would only calibrate to 1080p SDR, which is almost pointless IMO. I think one beneficial add-on for some people that Best Buy also offers as a freebie occasionally is the free in-home installation.