(Visions, Costco, BB, 2001) LG OLED 65C9 $3298 55C9 $2298 65B9 $2998 55B9 $1998

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2020 6:08 pm
Tags:
Oct 13, 2005
121 posts
38 upvotes
AtifM10644 wrote:

I've been doing a lot research and on every comparison between a C9 and a CX, C9 came out on top, the link is to a comparison video bit that's not the only one, you can find many others, even retailers figured it out and they're not budging on the remaining C9 stock be it used or demo or even refurbished, I doubt there are any new units available unless you go around store to store looking for one and in remote areas.
If you get an OLED you must protect your investment with an extended warranty because even minor issues could cost you hundreds, and a refurbished unit will have a scratched serial number which means it can't be warranted, but if you buy a demo or an open box it will have a full manufacturer warranty and an extended warranty applies.
So, question for the gurus in this thread:

If the CX is in fact an inferior panel to the C9, what is an equivalent or better panel to buy today? The GX? A Sony?
Feb 19, 2019
153 posts
55 upvotes
sketchy wrote: So, question for the gurus in this thread:

If the CX is in fact an inferior panel to the C9, what is an equivalent or better panel to buy today? The GX? A Sony?
Some people here on this very thread preferred to purchase a Sony A8H over the CX, if you scroll up a little bit you'd see their reasoning, something about DTS support and HDMI 2.1 limitations.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5575 posts
1358 upvotes
Milton
You all picked up extended warranties for you C9s and CXs?
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1606 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
sketchy wrote: So, question for the gurus in this thread:

It’s better for you to do the research yourself rather than take generalizations from random posters on the net. For an easy example of the risk, the poster you quoted said C9 always came out on top of CX when the video he quoted has several points in favour of the CX (such as better BFI which is actually a big feature for those that care about motion resolution). On top of that, the author of those videos also did a separate video explaining how people are blowing things out of proportion regarding the C9.

All of the panels are sourced by LG, so most of the difference comes down to the processor, not the panel. If you look at the same author, he also does comparisons on that basis to help you decide what you will benefit from most for your specific use case.

In general (and I’m sure someone has done this before and better, and I’m probably forgetting some stuff)
-LG is the only one with full HDMI 2.1 feature set and lowest input lag
-LG is usually the most value ($)
-Sony has better motion processing but usually most expensive, lacks HDMI 2.1 features, and has player-led Dolby Vision (not as good)
-Panasonic has the most accurate image but lacks some HDMI 2.1 features and handles low luminance scenes the best
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1606 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
spena wrote: You all picked up extended warranties for you C9s and CXs?
No, many of us didn’t.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1606 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
AtifM10644 wrote: Some people here on this very thread preferred to purchase a Sony A8H over the CX, if you scroll up a little bit you'd see their reasoning, something about DTS support and HDMI 2.1 limitations.
The Sony doesn’t have HDMI 2.1

eARC capability is also a specific use case. Most people would route their connection through their receiver 1st so the TV not supporting DTS HD through eARC becomes inconsequential in those use cases.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7295 posts
677 upvotes
Alexandero2 wrote: The Sony doesn’t have HDMI 2.1

eARC capability is also a specific use case. Most people would route their connection through their receiver 1st so the TV not supporting DTS HD through eARC becomes inconsequential in those use cases.
Most receivers don't have HDMI 2.1 support yet, with very few exceptions. So you wouldn't want to connect a PS 5 or Xbox X to a non HDMI 2.1 receiver first, before a TV that supports it, have why eARC can be important for some
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Aug 3, 2019
53 posts
39 upvotes
spena wrote: You all picked up extended warranties for you C9s and CXs?
Costcos extended warranty was a lifesaver Just had full purchase price plus tax refunded for my B7 because of a stuck pixel. Only thing i was out after getting my B9 from Costco was the new warranty price of $100 and the gas to drive 2 hours to one of the only Costco around to have stock of the B9. Funny thing the repair company was super delighted to get my old tv to "harvest boards out of it" but oh well a near free upgrade 2 years and one month after purchase.
Aug 29, 2017
169 posts
58 upvotes
gummby2005 wrote: Costcos extended warranty was a lifesaver Just had full purchase price plus tax refunded for my B7 because of a stuck pixel. Only thing i was out after getting my B9 from Costco was the new warranty price of $100 and the gas to drive 2 hours to one of the only Costco around to have stock of the B9. Funny thing the repair company was super delighted to get my old tv to "harvest boards out of it" but oh well a near free upgrade 2 years and one month after purchase.
What do you mean by stuck pixel? Is it same as burn-in? Or something else? Nevertheless, do you know Assurian covers burn-ins?
Aug 3, 2019
53 posts
39 upvotes
Pouyanem wrote: What do you mean by stuck pixel? Is it same as burn-in? Or something else? Nevertheless, do you know Assurian covers burn-ins?
Stuck pixel is when a pixel turns on and stays on was watching tv half asleep on couch when i looked up and saw a bright green dot on right mid portion of screen, thought oh crap. Ran pixel refresher 5 or 6 times then ran jscreen fix for a couple of hours dot still there. From time calling Asurion to having check in hand was about a week and a half , when technician picked up TV he said warranty company wanted him to run pixel refresher 10 times. And no Asurion doesn't cover burn in but like the technician said panels are better now and the software to stop it are much better so it's pretty unlikely unless you run CNN for months on end......Get my news from Internet anyways.
Jul 21, 2015
435 posts
271 upvotes
North York, ON
It is the one in new market, but I don't have his name.

He was one of the manager though.

I initially bought it with 350, but couldn't justify it with wife so I ended up with returning it (then I was offered with $250 instead)
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4995 posts
3719 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I'm sure this has been covered in this btu read, but I dont want to read a million posts. I'm finishing my basement over the winter and will be purchasing a new TV for down there. I will mainly be using for gaming. Does anyone do any heavy gaming on an OLED? Im terrified of image retention on a TV thats this pricey.
Dec 30, 2016
81 posts
74 upvotes
Can someone explain to me how the HDMI 2.1 thing works?

Is HDMI 2.1 Required for 120HZ refresh rate?

If my TV(LG C9) supports Hdmi 2.1, I won't need a receiver with hdmi 2.1?

Is the sole purpose of having a receiver with hdmi 2.1 for a high refresh rate or so that my surround sound system works through it?
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1606 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
CFRTim wrote: Most receivers don't have HDMI 2.1 support yet, with very few exceptions. So you wouldn't want to connect a PS 5 or Xbox X to a non HDMI 2.1 receiver first, before a TV that supports it, have why eARC can be important for some
2020 Receivers have it. And the Sony doesn't have HDMI 2.1 anyways, so it doesn't lose HDMI 2.1 by routing through the receiver since the TV doesn't have it anyways.
Aug 3, 2019
53 posts
39 upvotes
Melkor wrote: I'm sure this has been covered in this btu read, but I dont want to read a million posts. I'm finishing my basement over the winter and will be purchasing a new TV for down there. I will mainly be using for gaming. Does anyone do any heavy gaming on an OLED? Im terrified of image retention on a TV thats this pricey.
Gamed on my b7 for the two years I had it probably 3 to 4 hours a day no burn in noticed, and played a few games constant ghost recon Wildlands for over a year and it had static HUD elements. The b9 I have now has another new feature when it detects a logo it will dim the pixels so it doesn't burn in, talked with the technician who wrote off my b7 and even he said the panels are much better now and the software on the tv helps stop it from happening.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

IGotThis