Hot Deals

(Visions, Costco, BB, 2001) LG OLED 65C9 $3298 55C9 $2298 65B9 $2998 55B9 $1998

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 9:46 pm
Tags:
Aug 3, 2019
49 posts
38 upvotes
jorda13456 wrote: Can someone explain to me how the HDMI 2.1 thing works?

Is HDMI 2.1 Required for 120HZ refresh rate?

If my TV(LG C9) supports Hdmi 2.1, I won't need a receiver with hdmi 2.1?

Is the sole purpose of having a receiver with hdmi 2.1 for a high refresh rate or so that my surround sound system works through it?
Essentially, it all comes down to bandwidth: The current bandwidth capacity for HDMI 2.0 is 18 Gbps, but HDMI 2.1 clocks in at a robust 48 Gbps. This increase in bandwidth allows HDMI 2.1 to transfer way more information; in a nutshell, this means higher-resolution video and higher frame rates.

Currently, HDMI 2.0 cables are needed to achieve a 4K picture at 60 FPS or an 8K picture at 30 FPS. HDMI 2.1, on the other hand, promises 4K resolution at 120 FPS, 8K resolution at 60 FPS, and a ceiling that will ultimately support 10K resolution—whenever the industry happens to reach that point.

From a Google search.
Feb 19, 2019
153 posts
54 upvotes
sghgigi wrote: It is the one in new market, but I don't have his name.

He was one of the manager though.

I initially bought it with 350, but couldn't justify it with wife so I ended up with returning it (then I was offered with $250 instead)
Thanks for the info, that's what I plan to do, walk in and cancel warranty, my expectations are they will offer something better, if they don't I'll get the 5 years LG warranty for $400.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4989 posts
3716 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
gummby2005 wrote: Gamed on my b7 for the two years I had it probably 3 to 4 hours a day no burn in noticed, and played a few games constant ghost recon Wildlands for over a year and it had static HUD elements. The b9 I have now has another new feature when it detects a logo it will dim the pixels so it doesn't burn in, talked with the technician who wrote off my b7 and even he said the panels are much better now and the software on the tv helps stop it from happening.
Thank you for the reply! Hmmmm......definitely going to have OLED in the running for basement then.
Jul 11, 2009
690 posts
351 upvotes
Canada
Alexandero2 wrote: The Sony doesn’t have HDMI 2.1

eARC capability is also a specific use case. Most people would route their connection through their receiver 1st so the TV not supporting DTS HD through eARC becomes inconsequential in those use cases.
If you route through the receiver, wouldn't the receiver need to be HDR capable to properly send the HDR video to the TV?
Aug 3, 2019
49 posts
38 upvotes
Melkor wrote: Thank you for the reply! Hmmmm......definitely going to have OLED in the running for basement then.
Word of warning though you would never want to go back to LCD, when I got the check for my b7 I thought well maybe can pocket some money and get something larger and cheaper but after looking around and reading rtings reviews and comparisons I decided I just couldn't go back especially since best gaming TV by their numbers has been oled I think every year since it came out. And now with HDMI 2.1 all 4 ports along with VRR and freesync they are future proofed for series x and PS5.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8180 posts
2813 upvotes
Toronto
Don't see the current price for the CX. Anyone purchased it recently?
Sep 28, 2011
394 posts
107 upvotes
Alberta
Noticed that quite a few posters here have had OLED TVs get replaced under warranty after a couple of years. Is that the norm these days? My Sharp Aquos has been going strong for more than ten years and I’d expect any replacement to last at least as long, or is that wishful thinking?
Oct 13, 2005
119 posts
37 upvotes
Alexandero2 wrote: It’s better for you to do the research yourself rather than take generalizations from random posters on the net. For an easy example of the risk, the poster you quoted said C9 always came out on top of CX when the video he quoted has several points in favour of the CX (such as better BFI which is actually a big feature for those that care about motion resolution). On top of that, the author of those videos also did a separate video explaining how people are blowing things out of proportion regarding the C9.

All of the panels are sourced by LG, so most of the difference comes down to the processor, not the panel. If you look at the same author, he also does comparisons on that basis to help you decide what you will benefit from most for your specific use case.

In general (and I’m sure someone has done this before and better, and I’m probably forgetting some stuff)
-LG is the only one with full HDMI 2.1 feature set and lowest input lag
-LG is usually the most value ($)
-Sony has better motion processing but usually most expensive, lacks HDMI 2.1 features, and has player-led Dolby Vision (not as good)
-Panasonic has the most accurate image but lacks some HDMI 2.1 features and handles low luminance scenes the best
Absolutely, and duly noted about the self-research. RFD is a veritable fount of good anecdotal info, though, and a great place to springboard into said research.

I'm not really in the market for a new panel - my KURO is still going strong and I don't watch that much stuff these days.

If we're headed for a second lock-down, however...that might change things.

In any case, thx for the info. Much obliged.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2011
3207 posts
371 upvotes
NORTH VANCOUVER
Love my C7 65". No reason to upgrade yet. Maybe in a couple of years. Hands down best brand.
Nov 20, 2017
111 posts
65 upvotes
Little late to the show here, is the C9 no longer manufactured? I just saw the CX at Costco the other day, was hoping to make the dive to OLED this year, $3,200 for the CX is a bit steep.

2020 has not been nice!
Sep 29, 2018
9 posts
6 upvotes
Variability wrote: Don't see the current price for the CX. Anyone purchased it recently?

Just got mine today at Costco Ottawa East. $2587.69 all taxes in.

I had been debating all week long. I first got the Sony X950H from Best buy, then returned in because I wanted to be furtureproof (ps5 etc...), so I was looking at the X900H. I went to Costco to get the X900H, but then I saw the LG CX, and after looking at it for what seem like forever, pulled the trigger. I cant believed I paid that much for a TV was what I was thinking the entire ride home, but I figure I have 90 days to return it should something happen.

I got home, plugged it in, and launched Planet Earth. Let me tell you, I have never been in that much aw in my life! I could not believe how clear the picture was.
Last edited by Zamot18 on Sep 21st, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1585 posts
961 upvotes
Toronto
ben35 wrote: If you route through the receiver, wouldn't the receiver need to be HDR capable to properly send the HDR video to the TV?
If we’re talking about eARC, then the receiver would have HDR capability if it has eARC capable.
Last edited by Alexandero2 on Sep 21st, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1585 posts
961 upvotes
Toronto
Chalovskii wrote: Little late to the show here, is the C9 no longer manufactured? I just saw the CX at Costco the other day, was hoping to make the dive to OLED this year, $3,200 for the CX is a bit steep.

2020 has not been nice!
They release a new model every year, so the C9 is the 2019 model. It’s not impossible to find but about as common as the C8 was this time last year.
Jul 11, 2009
690 posts
351 upvotes
Canada
ben35 wrote: If you route through the receiver, wouldn't the receiver need to be HDR capable to properly send the HDR video to the TV?
Alexandero2 wrote: If we’re talking about eARC, then the receiver would have HDR capability if it has eARC capable.
So doest that mean my $2000 5 year old Denon X4300 is already obsolete ?
Jan 2, 2009
358 posts
92 upvotes
ben35 wrote: So doest that mean my $2000 5 year old Denon X4300 is already obsolete ?
My denon is no longer used to pass through video. Only sound now. Sucks but I’m not buying a new receiver.