(Visions, Costco, BB, 2001) LG OLED 65C9 $3298 55C9 $2298 65B9 $2998 55B9 $1998

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 8:52 am
Tags:
Aug 2, 2014
330 posts
254 upvotes
Vancity
refraxion wrote: You can cast to the device. My Old C7 and B7 LG OLED's can be casted to.
Oh, so it's just LG's baked in casting software. Thats fine

I was thinking that would be absolutely crazy to not be able to cast to an expensive oled tv without buying a casting dongle.
Oct 17, 2018
127 posts
64 upvotes
mikeproscutto wrote: Moving into a new home in June and debating over 2 sets.

The Sony 75 inch X900F model or the LG 65 OLED B9 series. Both around same price point.

It’s for a living room with a lot of natural light. Been reading OLED is better for darker rooms.

Thoughts?
I went through exact same dilemma. Get the OLED. I’ll never buy an LED again. It’s that much better and plenty bright even for a bonus room with vaulted ceilings and a wall of windows. And it’ll shine even more as soon as the sun goes down.
Feb 6, 2019
42 posts
21 upvotes
yeti13 wrote: Man, that's ridiculous.

If the Panasonic was sold by a reputable company with easy warranty service I'd get that.
Visions here in Winnipeg was selling the Panasonic GZ1000 65”. Was quoted a price of around $2300-$2400 for it (plus taxes and warranty added to get that price point)
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19497 posts
567 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Have LG done anything with their 2019 OLED models to help mitigate burn-in issues?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26223 posts
6478 upvotes
ips1177 wrote: don't care to play video games. STB EMU aka STBE MU is an apk/sideloaded type thingy as far as i know, its for IPTV.
Oh right I forgot I don't even need to power on the TVs, you can just check in Play store. Shows it can be installed on both my Hisense and my Sony. So yeah should work. If any transcoding is involved I'm not sure if that would work, but app itself looks like it should.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26223 posts
6478 upvotes
yeti13 wrote: Oh, so it's just LG's baked in casting software. Thats fine

I was thinking that would be absolutely crazy to not be able to cast to an expensive oled tv without buying a casting dongle.
Pretty sure it's based on Miracast, or at least it should be.
Oct 26, 2017
43 posts
68 upvotes
Ah damn, I bought the 65" C8 in the summer from visions when it was on sale.. guess I should have waited for the C9 to go on sale.. that 120hz at 4k probably looks awesome. Visions should have trade in program lol. Jk
Dec 2, 2007
412 posts
178 upvotes
frederixx wrote: Unless you play games, most people would be happy with the Amazon 4K stick, no? I have a Shield and honestly, i don't find that many advantages. Yes you could add a large number of apps, but 90% of them you would never use. It's still good, but quite overkill for most people
You're paying for a device that's had multiple years of support from Nvidia AND Google, and gives a native Android TV experience. FireStick / FireTV devices have always been about Amazon's closed ecosystem and sideloading stuff onto them has historically been janky at best. I guess if you're looking for an inexpensive option the Firestick is okay, but if you can budget for the Shield then it's a better investment and a better experience overall. The upscaling capabilities on the latest version are bananas.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2462 posts
380 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Because of us being self isolated at home for the next while, our kids have been utilizing the basement more to play. My wife has decided she would like to move the very solid 50" Panny plasma downstairs for them and buy something new for us upstairs. We're thinking around $1500 and I told her I would like to go as big on technology specs as I can. We want to keep at the 55" size and it seems the B9 fits that bill for me. Does anyone know of the current price at Costco in store? Or are there better suggestions out there?

We own a Shield, Switch and Rogers box for this TV.

edit: just called Costco and confirmed they have the B9 in store for ~$1700... I know it can go cheaper, but doesn't seem like a whole lot.
Last edited by cyphon21 on Apr 2nd, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3193 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Pretty sure it's based on Miracast, or at least it should be.
I think it is and anyone with a pixel phone it's not possible to cast without Chromecast. This one is the issue with Google though
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4008 posts
1486 upvotes
Dmartin77 wrote: I went through exact same dilemma. Get the OLED. I’ll never buy an LED again. It’s that much better and plenty bright even for a bonus room with vaulted ceilings and a wall of windows. And it’ll shine even more as soon as the sun goes down.
Hard disagree. Once you taste a 2,000+ nits display, HDR isn't the same.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4008 posts
1486 upvotes
Dmartin77 wrote: I went through exact same dilemma. Get the OLED. I’ll never buy an LED again. It’s that much better and plenty bright even for a bonus room with vaulted ceilings and a wall of windows. And it’ll shine even more as soon as the sun goes down.
Hard disagree. Once you taste a 2,000+ nits display, HDR isn't the same.
Oct 17, 2018
127 posts
64 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: Hard disagree. Once you taste a 2,000+ nits display, HDR isn't the same.
I find mine plenty bright! That said, I’m not the type to watch in vivid/saturated colours, I’m more of a cinema/isf dark guy as prefer more real life colours. 99% of the reviewers would agree with me but buy what you like! Plus some other things like horrible off-axis viewing are deal breakers for me. I almost got a 75/85” Sony X900/950 until I realized even watching from one edge of the TV was enough to degrade the far side of the picture - unacceptable.
Oct 15, 2013
755 posts
1245 upvotes
The prices are lower at visions now, $1798 for the 55" C9. edit...sorry, that was an open box price.

I'm in the market for a tv for gaming mostly but movies less frequently. Is this still a star buy or is it worth waiting do you think for 2020 models?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7954 posts
1524 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: Hard disagree. Once you taste a 2,000+ nits display, HDR isn't the same.
The hell you do with 2000 nits? Get a tan in your living room?

Burnt retinas arent something to strive for. Lol

Thread Information

There are currently 10 users viewing this thread. (7 members and 3 guests)

echlon, techytrev, AshuJV, lachinois, hateshopping, Kingrox, paperplanez