Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] $298 - Sony XAV-AX100 - 6.4" head unit - Android Auto / Apple Car Play

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 12:17 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2110 posts
508 upvotes

[Visions Electronics] $298 - Sony XAV-AX100 - 6.4" head unit - Android Auto / Apple Car Play

https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/catego ... u=XAVAX100

This head unit is back at $298 at Visions for those who missed it. Able to order online as well with free shipping.

Link to previous thread/discussion: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/visions ... e-2241675/

EDIT: deal is in-store only now
Last edited by Zephyr22b on Jan 16th, 2019 8:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thread Summary
Link to the product (OP's link is broken)
https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/catego ... u=XAVAX100
245 replies
Jun 7, 2017
550 posts
818 upvotes
New Brunswick
Just an FYI; the AX100 and 200 are notorious for slow boot up. The 1000 and 5000 improved on that heavily
Aug 26, 2008
674 posts
245 upvotes
Montreal
It takes over $100 in additional gear to properly mount, for example including steering wheel controls. My Subaru XV's display has a crack and the touch screen doesn't work, but it's such a pain to add an aftermarket I just live with it.
Jul 9, 2006
146 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
Just an FYI, I got this for $250 during black friday. I initially ordered it from Amazon but Visions gave me a "Manager's Special" price to cancel my Amazon order and buy it through them. (May be related to Hibbing's pricing)
Oct 16, 2012
215 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
I just looked at a YouTube video of it booting up and it took 20 seconds from turnkey to fm radio.

Is that considered a long time?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1557 posts
1381 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Does this come with everything needed to install into a car?

I know it needs steering wheel controls if you want to steering controls to remain.

But if I just buy this unit just for straight radio/android auto/apple car play, is it immediately plug and play?

Or do i need wiring harnesses, kits, and stuff?

Clutchfield's 'fit in your vehicle' tool for the XAV-AX100 has packages and their cheapest ($35): includes:
- Kit (trim pieces and brackets),
- Wiring Harness (connecting new radio and your vehicle's wiring),
- Radio Replacement Module (enable communication between your new radio and your vehicle's factory electronics)
- Antenna Adapter (connects the plug on your vehicle's antenna cable to the standard Motorola antenna input on your new radio)
- Custom Instructions (installation instruction)
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18221 posts
1728 upvotes
Niagara Falls
davidm wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 2:44 pm
It takes over $100 in additional gear to properly mount, for example including steering wheel controls. My Subaru XV's display has a crack and the touch screen doesn't work, but it's such a pain to add an aftermarket I just live with it.

It might cost an extra $100 but for a Subi it shouldn't. Dash kit and wiring harness can be found online for ~15 ish each I believe.

As for steering wheel controls, the Sony's work well with Japanese cars, might be able to just splice one wire, if not there is usually a special adapter you can get for it, you don't generally need the much more expensive conversion kits.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18221 posts
1728 upvotes
Niagara Falls
PatMeGron wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 3:38 pm
I just looked at a YouTube video of it booting up and it took 20 seconds from turnkey to fm radio.

Is that considered a long time?
I think with the most up to date firmware it's closer to 15 seconds, but yeah it can be a bit long. You get used to it, but I'm usually out of my driveway before I hit play on my playlist.
blackston3 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 6:21 pm
Does this come with everything needed to install into a car?

I know it needs steering wheel controls if you want to steering controls to remain.

But if I just buy this unit just for straight radio/android auto/apple car play, is it immediately plug and play?

Or do i need wiring harnesses, kits, and stuff?

Clutchfield's 'fit in your vehicle' tool for the XAV-AX100 has packages and their cheapest ($35): includes:
- Kit (trim pieces and brackets),
- Wiring Harness (connecting new radio and your vehicle's wiring),
- Radio Replacement Module (enable communication between your new radio and your vehicle's factory electronics)
- Antenna Adapter (connects the plug on your vehicle's antenna cable to the standard Motorola antenna input on your new radio)
- Custom Instructions (installation instruction)

You'll need a wiring harness and dash adapter kit.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1557 posts
1381 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Evil Baby wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 6:28 pm
It might cost an extra $100 but for a Subi it shouldn't. Dash kit and wiring harness can be found online for ~15 ish each I believe.

As for steering wheel controls, the Sony's work well with Japanese cars, might be able to just splice one wire, if not there is usually a special adapter you can get for it, you don't generally need the much more expensive conversion kits.
Any places specifically?

Clutchfield is charging $35-$80 for entire packages but only if you buy the stereo from them. Without buying a stereo, they're charging full prices just for one item
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1557 posts
1381 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Evil Baby wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 6:31 pm

You'll need a wiring harness and dash adapter kit.
So the radio replacement module and antenna adapter are unnecessary? Radio will work without the need of those items?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18221 posts
1728 upvotes
Niagara Falls
blackston3 wrote:
Any places specifically?

Clutchfield is charging $35-$80 for entire packages but only if you buy the stereo from them. Without buying a stereo, they're charging full prices just for one item
I got my stuff from eBay. Just be careful, I've gotten the wrong wiring harness sent to me from eBay before.

Comes down to how quickly you want it. Go to the local audio shop and get it right away but likely pay $25-$40 for each kit assuming your car doesn't need a really expensive dash kit, or order it on eBay and wait but it'll be cheap.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18221 posts
1728 upvotes
Niagara Falls
blackston3 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 6:33 pm
So the radio replacement module and antenna adapter are unnecessary? Radio will work without the need of those items?

I guess that would depend on your vehicle. Every vehicle I've ever replaced a radio in, 4 different cars, they all had the same radio plug, the long metal silver plug, this radio will take that without an adapter.

I suppose there could be vehicles out there that change that plug.
Jan 25, 2008
790 posts
228 upvotes
Montréal
Not sure what the advantage over this and Android auto app on my s9+ with an aux cable (practically speaking)
Aug 26, 2008
674 posts
245 upvotes
Montreal
Evil Baby wrote:
I think with the most up to date firmware it's closer to 15 seconds, but yeah it can be a bit long. You get used to it, but I'm usually out of my driveway before I hit play on my playlist.
Is that 15 seconds before the backup camera will display?

I think I'll call the local installer to see what the cost would be, since my touchscreen doesn't work I won't be able to pair future handsets.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18221 posts
1728 upvotes
Niagara Falls
davidm wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 6:42 pm
Is that 15 seconds before the backup camera will display?

I think I'll call the local installer to see what the cost would be, since my touchscreen doesn't work I won't be able to pair future handsets.
No, the backup camera will display very quickly, however there is an odd second where the screen goes black for a second which I think is about the time the warning would appear.

I'll try to take a video tonight.