Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] $298 - Sony XAV-AX100 - 6.4" head unit - Android Auto / Apple Car Play

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 1:00 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 4, 2009
414 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary
Canuck28 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 9:36 pm
- Where is the best place in the Lower Mainland to have this and a camera installed? Approx. cost?
I left out the questions, looks like they’re answered already.

I’d recommend saving your money and just invest some of your time to install it yourself. Yes, time is money but I treat it as my hobby. I get to upgrade my car and have fun doing it.

I bought 2 AX-100 units, installed the head unit and backup camera myself on my Forester. Will be installing the unit in my 2012 Crosstour - waiting for my dash replacement still (shipping is taking forever). Research for the head unit took some time, the backup camera was the bigger pain - figuring out how take out all the trim and running the wires underneath all of it took some time.
- Don't support hoarding. Do your research, decide on the price you want to pay for it. Don't ever pay more than that.
Jan 26, 2011
103 posts
94 upvotes
Ajax
Sketchydrifter wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 6:02 pm
For anyone on the fence about this deal (Sony XAV-AX100), I installed it this weekend on my wife's CX5 and must say I'm quite impressed so far. The bootup isn't as bad as what others YouTube reviewers have suggested (takes about any 10-15 sec), the screen is responsive, Android Auto and BT work really well, external microphone quality is very good even at highway speeds (and the CX5 is quite noisy), decent EQ settings, BT setup was super easy. Mine already came updated with the latest firmware as well (Nov 2018).

The one shortfall I have noticed to date is the volume knob being pretty small so depending on your setup and how fat your fingers are, it can be hard to control the volume with the button. However I bought the module to maintain steering wheel controls so that's not really an issue for me.
What year cx-5 do you have? Did you not find the trade off of not being able to make changes to so many settings in the car discouraging?
May 26, 2011
102 posts
110 upvotes
bob5593 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 4:24 pm

Camera: There are many options. I use an AutoVox from Amazon. Some have used products off eBay that integrate the license plate light assembly. As long as it has a yellow RCA connector and a black/red cable for 12 volts, it should work. I disabled the camera's assist lines and use the Sony head unit's assist lines because you can customize the size and angle.

Beeping: I believe that's a separate module that taps into the reverse light power. I have no experience with this.

Installers: I have no experience with this but on RFD, the range so far has been in the $500 to $1000 range. Ralph's and Boom Plus Toys are names I remember when I lived in Van 15 years ago.

I'm happy with my AX-1000 and carplay. Would have preferred wireless but then we're talking about half the value of my car, lol. If I were to go with built-in GPS, I'd go with the cheapest Kenwood that has the features I need.
Thanks for responding! That all sounds good and is very helpful. Except for the installation cost haha. $500 to $1,000 can't be right?? That's absurd. My assumption was maybe $100 to $200 so I better hope you made a typo lol.
while[1];do;done wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 10:02 pm

I left out the questions, looks like they’re answered already.

I’d recommend saving your money and just invest some of your time to install it yourself. Yes, time is money but I treat it as my hobby. I get to upgrade my car and have fun doing it.

I bought 2 AX-100 units, installed the head unit and backup camera myself on my Forester. Will be installing the unit in my 2012 Crosstour - waiting for my dash replacement still (shipping is taking forever). Research for the head unit took some time, the backup camera was the bigger pain - figuring out how take out all the trim and running the wires underneath all of it took some time.
Totally a fair suggestion and I respect that you can pull off the installation. I'm useless at that sort of thing though, so it's not much fun for me :p
Oct 3, 2006
591 posts
177 upvotes
I done it myself on my 2 toyota... and it takes some time to do a professionnal job. I've put more than 10 hours for each cars. I've soldered all my wires, installed new backups cameras... programmed the steering wheels adapters, etc. 500$ are really realistic.
May 26, 2011
102 posts
110 upvotes
Koolfreak wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 10:42 pm
I done it myself on my 2 toyota... and it takes some time to do a professionnal job. I've put more than 10 hours for each cars. I've soldered all my wires, installed new backups cameras... programmed the steering wheels adapters, etc. 500$ are really realistic.
Interesting. I'll check with a couple stores tomorrow and report back. I have a feeling it will be WELL below $500 but we shall see.
Jun 21, 2009
849 posts
115 upvotes
Vancouver
It cost me $1000 plus tax to buy this unit plus two speakers (value $300). Installation was also 20% off at visions on boxing day. Included in the installation was about $100 in wires and parts.

Without the boxing day discount on installation, $500 is probably pretty close for the unit and camera installation. That includes about $100 in parts. It could be more if you have controls on the steering wheel.

I looked around Vancouver and every place I contacted wanted more than what visions was charging.
Feb 18, 2007
83 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Don't understand why people think these would be cheap to install. Like anything service based it will be $/hour.

For most shops, this will be $100/hour.

It's definitely going to take more than 2-3 hours to properly install everything, especially with a reverse camera etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4958 posts
757 upvotes
Toronto
Re: Install pricing. I just had a carplay deck (Sony XAV5000) installed by Audio Heaven. Totally professional shop.

Bought the harnesses, antenna, and steering wheel control from them, which I’d say cost about 2X crutchfield’s pricing ($300 for a 2010 Audi A3). With that purchase they only charged me $120 for install. Thought it was a decent price. Wound up buying that deck from them too because it was the same price as other sources. They put in a backup camera for $249 installed (this was a bugger for the install). Totally recommended.

It was about a four hour job, I’d estimate, though they did it quicker with two people on it.
Sep 4, 2009
414 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary
For those who are guaging the difficulty of this. The easier part is definitely the dash install. It’s all in one place.

The tougher longer install is definitely the backup camera. It took probably twice as long for myself but I had to take apart the car to find all the right places to run the wires from back to front. Lots of upfront planning.

Also, the backup camera usually runs for $20 to maybe $50 and I usually have no idea why one is more expensive than the other. They usually look identical. So if you paid $250 to install a backup camera, it was mostly for labour.
- Don't support hoarding. Do your research, decide on the price you want to pay for it. Don't ever pay more than that.
Sep 24, 2012
806 posts
293 upvotes
Mississauga
milhaus wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 6:31 am
Re: Install pricing. I just had a carplay deck (Sony XAV5000) installed by Audio Heaven. Totally professional shop.

Bought the harnesses, antenna, and steering wheel control from them, which I’d say cost about 2X crutchfield’s pricing ($300 for a 2010 Audi A3). With that purchase they only charged me $120 for install. Thought it was a decent price. Wound up buying that deck from them too because it was the same price as other sources. They put in a backup camera for $249 installed (this was a bugger for the install). Totally recommended.

It was about a four hour job, I’d estimate, though they did it quicker with two people on it.
what would be the price just for the deck install without backup camera? $120? dont think i need a backup camera now on my 10yr old camry
May 9, 2010
321 posts
88 upvotes
Ottawa
kingest_kong wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 10:09 pm
What year cx-5 do you have? Did you not find the trade off of not being able to make changes to so many settings in the car discouraging?
2013. It's the base model (6 spd manual) so it wasn't the touch screen radio. The factory radio was super basic so there aren't any control options on it.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18224 posts
1734 upvotes
Niagara Falls
rozsalyib wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 6:47 pm
Those tech savvy willing to experiment could opt for:
https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS/2 ... ation.html
https://www.autopumpkin.com/car-dvd-pla ... vd-player/
The next step would be to install a custom ROM by Malaysk, there's a learning curve but it's well worth it:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... d-t3762724
Those are running an Android OS, not just Android Auto or Apple Car Play. Not really the same thing. Could be adequate / better for some but it's still a different beast.