Expired Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] $298 - Sony XAV-AX100 - 6.4" head unit - Android Auto / Apple Car Play

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2019 7:17 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 13, 2006
315 posts
67 upvotes
Calgary
Where to install in Calgary?

Quoted Vision and the installed price with 4 year warranty is $1460 tax in for a ten year old ES350. This includes an installed backup camera.

Anywhere I can get a second quote? Thx.
Apr 29, 2014
822 posts
214 upvotes
Pickering, ON
mathomas wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 12:05 pm
Pioneer MVH-AV251BT for $348...
Can you or someone confirm a few information for me.
1. I notice there is a video output. Can it output video to a monitor in the back while driving?
2. Can I control the audio independently?

I will be using this in a minivan, so controlling the video from the front would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
Nov 18, 2006
507 posts
162 upvotes
SleepyEyez wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 8:50 pm
Can you or someone confirm a few information for me.
1. I notice there is a video output. Can it output video to a monitor in the back while driving?
2. Can I control the audio independently?
Online manual says there is a V OUT to connect display for rear passengers. Not sure how controls work yet - i suspect pretty standard interface , so i'd suggest checking youtube for Pioneer reviews.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11840 posts
5921 upvotes
Southern Ontario
stak74 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 9:12 am
I download a fair amount YouTube in 144 quality to listen to it. Mainly ted talks or political discussions. Can I listen, even without watching moving picture, to it?
Download as mp3's (mediahuman), they'll play fine.

Mine, not the one in this thread, will play any movie format but I don't while driving due to distracted of course, I play them in the background while GPS is showing.

Sep 9, 2007
228 posts
83 upvotes
sharkcalgary wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 7:52 pm
Where to install in Calgary?

Quoted Vision and the installed price with 4 year warranty is $1460 tax in for a ten year old ES350. This includes an installed backup camera.

Anywhere I can get a second quote? Thx.
Auto temp off 42nd and highfield
Dec 24, 2006
104 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
mathomas wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 12:52 pm
I ordered a Pioneer unit on Jan3 , took a few days to get out of Richmond , and it's made stops in Calgary and Winnipeg ... ETA is Jan 10 - I'm 1hr west of TO...
Ordered Pioneer unit Jan 2 and received it today in Toronto.
Feb 18, 2007
339 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 3:01 pm
Operation of standard car controls, including things like climate, radio, etc. are not.
Yes, please quote the relevant law where this is exempted.

If you can't, then just concede that you are wrong and move on, please.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1769 posts
1806 upvotes
Toronto, ON
danascully wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:41 am
Yes, please quote the relevant law where this is exempted.

If you can't, then just concede that you are wrong and move on, please.
Are you unable to use Google? Not hard

If you're driving while changing your car's clock, digging around in the glove compartment for a parking pass or reaching around to the back seat to open your kid's yogurt, you're guilty of distracted driving. But, you're not breaking Ontario's distracted driving law.

"The distracted driving section of the Highway Traffic act law only deals with handheld electronic devices," says OPP spokesman Sgt. Pierre Chamberland. "Anything else that takes your attention away from your primary task is potentially dangerous, like drinking coffee and spilling burning coffee on your lap, isn't addressed by that section, but it's a bad idea."

The law is specific

Ontario's distracted driving rules don't actually contain the word distraction. They're in section 78 ("Display screen visible to driver prohibited") and 78.1 ("Handheld devices prohibited) of the Highway Traffic Act.

"Ontario's distracted driving law is aimed at combating a particular form of driver distraction - the use of hand-held communication and entertainment devices and display screens," says Ontario's Ministry of Transportation in an e-mail statement. "Safe driving requires undivided attention. Drivers need to focus on the task at hand: keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel."

What you can't do legally

Here's what sections 78 and 78.1 say you can't do while driving, including while stopped at a light, according to the MTO:

Use hand-held wireless communication devices like cell phones, iPhones or BlackBerrys
Text, dial or e-mail
Use hand-held electronic entertainment devices, like iPods or other portable MP3 players and GameBoys
View display screens unrelated to driving on devices like laptops, tablets and DVD players
Program a GPS device, other than by voice commands.

What you can do legally

Use hands-free wireless communications devices with an earpiece, lapel button or Bluetooth device;
View the display screens of GPS units that are integrated into the vehicle or mounted on a dashboard and not obscuring the driver's view;
Use portable MP3 players hands-free, as long as they're secured in or mounted to the vehicle
Call 911

----------------------------
Fiddling with complicated radio or climate controls could be a distraction, but it's not banned by Ontario's law – or by any other distracted driving law in Canada.
If I'm wrong, either move along or cite the specific laws saying I can't handle a radio.

Ontario Ministry of Transportation website: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety ... -faq.shtml
Type of Device: Display screens that are built into the vehicle and used for safety reasons.
Can I use it?: Yes
Oct 24, 2013
513 posts
121 upvotes
Ontario
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:35 pm
Download as mp3's (mediahuman), they'll play fine.

Mine, not the one in this thread, will play any movie format but I don't while driving due to distracted of course, I play them in the background while GPS is showing.
Thank you for pointing that out. That might be the solution. Much appreciated.

Which radio is this you have/shown on the photo?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11840 posts
5921 upvotes
Southern Ontario
stak74 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 5:13 am
Thank you for pointing that out. That might be the solution. Much appreciated.

Which radio is this you have/shown on the photo?
No problem, mine is from here: https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.com/ I got it in a Tundra owner's group buy on facebook $550US. I usually play stuff in the background and run the radio, Spotify or Waze when I drive.

Been perusing HU deals, looking to get CarPlay in our Lexus NX.
Oct 24, 2013
513 posts
121 upvotes
Ontario
I see 60 fps and must like. :)

I never have seen this size outside of a Tesla. Amazing. Well done, sir.
Mar 29, 2018
20 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
kvluck wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:46 am
Yeah mine was estimated to be delivered yesterday. Canada Post still hasn't updated anything since being processed in Richmond BC on January 2nd and I'm in Toronto. At least I'm not the only one.
Mine showed up this morning. Managed to get it fitted this afternoon with minimal cursing - pretty impressed with it so far.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2777 posts
497 upvotes
Ajax
Got mine and my install stuff from Crutchfield today. Gonna install Sat
Oct 12, 2009
913 posts
9696 upvotes
catnipthieves wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:42 pm
Mine showed up this morning. Managed to get it fitted this afternoon with minimal cursing - pretty impressed with it so far.
gostinger wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:46 pm
Got mine and my install stuff from Crutchfield today. Gonna install Sat
Which one did you two end up getting? Whats your initial thoughts on the unit?
Mar 29, 2018
20 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
soludsnake wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:12 pm
Which one did you two end up getting? Whats your initial thoughts on the unit?
I went for the XAV-AX100. Impressed so far; boot-up time doesn't seem so bad and the Android Auto functions work well. The mic seems pretty responsive, although my GPS signal seemed to drop out a couple of times. That's most likely down to the connected phone rather than the head unit, though.