Expired Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] $298 - Sony XAV-AX100 - 6.4" head unit - Android Auto / Apple Car Play

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2019 7:17 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 24, 2012
850 posts
320 upvotes
Mississauga
i bought both Sony XAV-AX100 and Pioneer MVH-AV251BT, not sure which one to keep.

am going to get it installed in my 08'Camry.
Oct 12, 2009
913 posts
9696 upvotes
catnipthieves wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:51 pm
I went for the XAV-AX100. Impressed so far; boot-up time doesn't seem so bad and the Android Auto functions work well. The mic seems pretty responsive, although my GPS signal seemed to drop out a couple of times. That's most likely down to the connected phone rather than the head unit, though.
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Im leaning towards the Pioneer only cause I already have a Pioneer HU so im assuming I wouldn't need any new wiring kits etc. As long as it had Android Auto im content.

Any ideas which has the better display and touch response?
Oct 24, 2013
513 posts
121 upvotes
Ontario
Just checked. My Sony was already shipped today. Very excited. Install through a local pro will be 199$. Another 50 and 60 for hardware, they said.

I don't have a backup camera. I was told the camera would be 200 and wiring 200 as well.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11841 posts
5921 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Are these difficult to install, why is it so much?
Are the harnesses plug and play or is there splicing?
Sep 4, 2009
442 posts
195 upvotes
Calgary
stak74 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:27 pm
I don't have a backup camera. I was told the camera would be 200 and wiring 200 as well.
I found the installation of a backup camera I did myself a bit of a pain. Had to run wiring from back to front, find out the best places to to tap reverse signal (I.e. deciding on reverse light or the alternate light brown yellow wire on the Subaru). The. After finding everything it was just putting it all together. So the research was a good part of the install. So, if you’re not up for it I can see someone paying $200 to do the install. The camera is really cheap though. $20 to $30 typically. Check Amazon. If he quoted you $200 for the camera he’s ripping you off. Ask him for exact name and model. I’m sure it’s not worth $200. I’m assuming it’s just the camera itself because the head unit will act as the screen. If it’s wireless though, then the camera maybe more expensive but then the install would be cheaper. So, overall, seems overpriced.
- Don't support hoarding. Do your research, decide on the price you want to pay for it. Don't ever pay more than that.
Oct 4, 2015
32 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone know a good resource for car wire identifying or installations instructions? I bought the extra harness needed from crutchfield to connect the sony harness with the factory harness and have that pretty much all ready to go besides the "reverse in" cable. Crutchfields custom instructions don't really help identify the wires coming from the vehicle itself. I need to identify the wires for the reverse signal, and which wires are for the camera. My 2017 Mitsubishi RVR ( outlander sport in the US) doesn't use a regular RCA end for video source from the pre-installed backup camera. It must be one of the cables that is inserted into the factory harness.

Not really sure how to even start looking into this. I've done some googling but results seem weaker then I thought they would be. I must be using incorrect search terms as there must be a way to learn how to identify what each cable in the factory harness is for!

Any advice?
Sep 4, 2009
442 posts
195 upvotes
Calgary
Reverse in can also be hooked to the back up light. If your car already has a factory backup camera, it’s likely the wire for the backup trigger is going to the dash somewhere already (I.e. one of the connectors behind the dash has the backup trigger wire). You can try testing each individual wire with a multimeter but that could be a pain.

Have you tried looking for a forum for your specific car? If there isn’t one for your model, there’s probably a forum for Mitsubishi cars in general. I would post a question in one of those forums.
- Don't support hoarding. Do your research, decide on the price you want to pay for it. Don't ever pay more than that.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1779 posts
1808 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lasvad wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:10 am
Anyone know a good resource for car wire identifying or installations instructions? I bought the extra harness needed from crutchfield to connect the sony harness with the factory harness and have that pretty much all ready to go besides the "reverse in" cable. Crutchfields custom instructions don't really help identify the wires coming from the vehicle itself. I need to identify the wires for the reverse signal, and which wires are for the camera. My 2017 Mitsubishi RVR ( outlander sport in the US) doesn't use a regular RCA end for video source from the pre-installed backup camera. It must be one of the cables that is inserted into the factory harness.

Not really sure how to even start looking into this. I've done some googling but results seem weaker then I thought they would be. I must be using incorrect search terms as there must be a way to learn how to identify what each cable in the factory harness is for!

Any advice?
I installed my unit about 2 days ago. I found BBB to be a great source for wiring diagrams: http://www.bbbind.com/free-tsb/

Other than that, here's what I can tell you. Where the driver's pedals (accelerate or brake), my car had a cluster of wires starting there that were then dispersed throughout the car, I found my reverse wire there that I tapped into. I checked BBB regarding your car, but there wasn't an RVR model listed there. One trick I learned throughout researching my own car was to open your tail light and check which wire went into/for the reverse (white lights) of your car, then go back to that driver's pedal area and tap into that same color wire to get your reverse-in cable. Buy an electrical splice/tap set kit from Amazon, they really help with tapping in an existing wire set and connecting from there. Also, if you get stuck, live-chat or call Clutchfield, they are really helpful for pulling up diagrams/assisting you, according to many forums

Other than that, just follow white[1]'s method above and just tap into the reverse light's wire from the source and wire it to the front of the car. Whichever method you choose, it's actually all still really simple.

I'm really surprised your vehicle doesn't use an RCA/yellow cable for the video feed. This one may be tricky. Follow white[1]'s directions about asking in a Mitsubishi specific forum, they would very likely be much more informative. Those places are where I got a lot of my wiring answers for my vehicle's installation
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1779 posts
1808 upvotes
Toronto, ON
stak74 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:27 pm
Just checked. My Sony was already shipped today. Very excited. Install through a local pro will be 199$. Another 50 and 60 for hardware, they said.

while[1];do;done wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:07 am
I found the installation of a backup camera I did myself a bit of a pain. Had to run wiring from back to front, find out the best places to to tap reverse signal (I.e. deciding on reverse light or the alternate light brown yellow wire on the Subaru). The. After finding everything it was just putting it all together. So the research was a good part of the install. So, if you’re not up for it I can see someone paying $200 to do the install. The camera is really cheap though. $20 to $30 typically. Check Amazon. If he quoted you $200 for the camera he’s ripping you off. Ask him for exact name and model. I’m sure it’s not worth $200. I’m assuming it’s just the camera itself because the head unit will act as the screen. If it’s wireless though, then the camera maybe more expensive but then the install would be cheaper. So, overall, seems overpriced.
white[1]'s post is fantastic. When I installed my Sony, I bought a random $30 Auto-Vox camera and connected it to the Sony unit very easily. My car is very basic and bare (no back up camera), so everything was from scratch. Wiring the camera and installing it was seriously the easiest part of the entire installation: harnessing the Sony, tapping the wires, soldering the wires, finding dimmers/reverse cables were the most difficult parts but the entire section about the camera was the easiest, even running the camera wire to the rear of the car and wedging them between the panels.

Do it yourself! It will take a few hours out of your day but seriously wasn't frustrating at all. Always research forums before hand, check out youtube videos, and then go about doing it yourself.

This is how easy it was for me: my Dodge Caravan was listed as incompatible on Clutchfield for the Sony unit. There were no Sony XAVAX100 installation videos to follow on Youtube regarding a Dodge Caravan. There were no videos on installing a back up camera on a Dodge Caravan on Youtube. Everything I did, I made sure to research beforehand. I knew the Caravan had space for a double-din type radio, so I bought the Sony XAV unit, since I really loved having a volume knob. I knew my van had harness wires to buy, so this made me sure I can connect the Sony unit to my car. And installing a backup camera is the same for all cars, regardless of model, so this made me confident in following the basic general instructions from others and adapting it to my car and then wedging the wires into the panels /

So, I ordered all the parts. Harnessed the wires, ran the wires for the back up camera, and installed the unit successfully. It fit great in the radio section, all steering wheel controls work, and camera functions great.
Jun 7, 2017
869 posts
1989 upvotes
New Brunswick
Would be nice if I could find out if the MVH-AV251BT would fit a Jeep Wrangler. Crutchfield doesn't have it listed
Apr 29, 2014
827 posts
214 upvotes
Pickering, ON
BranCracker wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:27 am
Would be nice if I could find out if the MVH-AV251BT would fit a Jeep Wrangler. Crutchfield doesn't have it listed
It would any double din radio.

Btw the price gone up by $50
Oct 24, 2013
513 posts
121 upvotes
Ontario
while[1];do;done wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:07 am

blackston3 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:55 am

white[1]'s post is fantastic. When I installed my Sony, I bought a random $30 Auto-Vox camera and connected it to the Sony unit very easily. My car is very basic and bare (no back up camera), so everything was from scratch. Wiring the camera and installing it was seriously the easiest part of the entire installation: harnessing the Sony, tapping the wires, soldering the wires, finding dimmers/reverse cables were the most difficult parts but the entire section about the camera was the easiest, even running the camera wire to the rear of the car and wedging them between the panels.

Do it yourself! It will take a few hours out of your day but seriously wasn't frustrating at all. Always research forums before hand, check out youtube videos, and then go about doing it yourself.

I canceled my appointment. My daughter got my old car so her bf can help me with that. I recall he installed his radio as well. So here is a moment to shine. :)

They tried to offer me a 10$ discount but couldn't more, because "running the cable to the back of the car is extremely difficult!"

I ll keep you updated.

Thank you!!!!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18922 posts
2226 upvotes
Niagara Falls
BranCracker wrote:
Not sure what version you have but it shouldn't be an issue.

I did see one article on crutchfield that says you might have to remove a support bracket behind the factory deck and possibly shave down some space.
Oct 12, 2009
913 posts
9696 upvotes
BranCracker wrote:
It will. I drive an 2010 Wrangler with a Double DIN Pioneer in it now. The AV251BT will and should just swap in.
Oct 4, 2015
32 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
while[1];do;done wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:34 am
Reverse in can also be hooked to the back up light. If your car already has a factory backup camera, it’s likely the wire for the backup trigger is going to the dash somewhere already (I.e. one of the connectors behind the dash has the backup trigger wire). You can try testing each individual wire with a multimeter but that could be a pain.

Have you tried looking for a forum for your specific car? If there isn’t one for your model, there’s probably a forum for Mitsubishi cars in general. I would post a question in one of those forums.
I'm sure one of the wires going to behind the dash where the receiver lives is the reverse trigger because my previous receiver (OEM from factory) had the backup cam function. How would you determine which one based on multimeter?

I will have to find a forum and hopefully they can help out. I tried looking up my OEM receiver for wiring information, but couldn't find anything about it...