Expired Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] 50% off Boss 6.75" Touchscreen Double-DIN In Dash Receiver with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

[OP]
May 28, 2012
32 posts
178 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Visions Electronics] 50% off Boss 6.75" Touchscreen Double-DIN In Dash Receiver with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Update:
Visions quoted me $135 for installation. And I have to buy extra cables and frame which cost $50 more. I decided to install myself and ordered the supporting parts. Surprisingly, it’s pretty easy and straight forward.

Available online and in-store. Save an extra $5.94 if you choose to pick up in-store.

I ordered one and will try to install it myself for my mother in law's old Toyota.
pic.png
1.jpg

I have no experience of installing such aftermarket kit. Hopefully, I don't need to spend another $200 to hire a pro.

This model does not include satellite navigation (but you got Carplay or Android Auto). Comparing to other similar products, $198 is a great deal.
Last edited by rqiu07 on Oct 14th, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thread Summary
Does it fit your car? What other supporting kits you need? Check this:
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_104BVCP968 ... 9685A.html

Thanks to Duuuuude
155 replies
Dec 8, 2012
566 posts
221 upvotes
Calgary
how do you make those things working with wheel volume/radio control buttons?
Sep 5, 2018
29 posts
34 upvotes
Does anyone know if something like this would go into a 2014 Kia Rondo? I've tried searching online for what would fit, but I come across dead ends a lot in sites not having any information on this car. Apparently, it doesn't exist for many sites.
Jan 11, 2013
61 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Are these one-size-fit all? I have a 2007 Golf that I'd love to put something like this in (it currently only has a cassette deck)
Feb 18, 2007
362 posts
369 upvotes
Toronto
People asking these questions above, honestly really means you shouldn't install yourself.

It's a double din, do you have space or not is a super basic question... if you don't know, hire a pro.
Feb 18, 2007
362 posts
369 upvotes
Toronto
rqiu07 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2019 2:58 pm

I have no experience of installing such aftermarket kit. Hopefully, I don't need to spend another $200 to hire a pro.
They are going to charge you way more than $200 to do this, depending on exactly what you need.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6187 posts
1794 upvotes
Whitby
Be sure Visions includes Canada Maps/nav card....I bought my son a Boss last year from Amazon.ca and it wasn't included. Some Canadians complaining online were given the update for free-I couldn't finnagle it.
Nov 12, 2009
437 posts
453 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: Be sure Visions includes Canada Maps/nav card....I bought my son a Boss last year from Amazon.ca and it wasn't included. Some Canadians complaining online were given the update for free-I couldn't finnagle it.
With carplay u should be able to just launch google maps. No need to fuss with an update.
Jul 7, 2003
436 posts
169 upvotes
I posted these replies in another recent thread about Android double DIN in the automotive forum
audiohs wrote:
Sep 29th, 2019 10:45 pm
I bought the Boss BVCP9685A from Visions a few weeks ago when it was on sale for $198. Also bought the Metra ASWC-1 to use the steering wheel controls. At this price it's a great value. Like you, I have an older car and wanted to be able to have Android Auto and Apple CarPlay but didn't want to spend too much. I didn't care about losing the CD player from the OE stereo. Been very pleased with it so far.
audiohs wrote:
Sep 30th, 2019 7:17 pm
The Boss unit has two USB inputs. You could connect the other to a cheap MP3 player and just leave it in the car all the time if your other half doesn't want to connect her phone to the car for music.

I stumbled across the Boss unit too and figured for $200, why not. Reviews online seemed decent so I pulled the trigger on it.
audiohs wrote:
Oct 4th, 2019 10:56 am
Bought it from Visions. Yes, I installed myself. I bought the dash and wiring kit from Metra for my car so it makes it very easy to hook it all up. Also bought the steering wheel control unit. I had to make some of the holes on the bracket a little bigger as the radio stuck out a little too much so that I couldn't get the dash trim back on. But now it fits nicely. I also bought a dual port USB extender from Amazon so I can connect devices to the stereo.

There is no built in GPS on this Boss unit. The Boss is a very basic car deck. It's basically an AM/FM radio with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay so you are relying on your phone's apps running through Android Auto or Carplay. So you can use Waze, Google Maps, Spotify, etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
2385 posts
1040 upvotes
TheRockNL wrote:
Oct 4th, 2019 3:24 pm
Does anyone know if something like this would go into a 2014 Kia Rondo? I've tried searching online for what would fit, but I come across dead ends a lot in sites not having any information on this car. Apparently, it doesn't exist for many sites.
EvanFBC wrote:
Oct 4th, 2019 3:28 pm
Are these one-size-fit all? I have a 2007 Golf that I'd love to put something like this in (it currently only has a cassette deck)
Check out Crutchfields "Will it fit my car?" option in their product listing. They will even show the wiring harness and dash mount kit you need and whether features like steering wheel controls or AUX inputs will work.

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_104BVCP968 ... 9685A.html
Apr 11, 2003
641 posts
115 upvotes
Edmonton
danascully wrote:
Oct 4th, 2019 3:33 pm
They are going to charge you way more than $200 to do this, depending on exactly what you need.
In my experience, the _install_ should not cost more than $200.

The _parts_ such as harnesses, cables, and brackets - would be the same whether they do it, or you do it.
Oct 15, 2017
280 posts
186 upvotes
Canada
With Android Auto can I access my Youtube Music playlists?

When playing songs from Youtube Music through Android Auto will it use my phone's bluetooth to connect to wireless headphones?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1139 posts
681 upvotes
Orleans, ON
I've had a few Double-Dins installed over the years, and I would never do it myself. I'm good with tech, and I'm handy overall - but it's a lot of wires and I find it overwhelming, personally. You also need adapters and stuff if you want steering wheel controls, backup cameras, etc.. to work. I needed a satellite radio adapter, steering wheel harness, some module thing, and a dash kit on top of the receiver itself just for my Honda Fit. The cost of all that and installation is more than the unit itself, so keep that in mind.
Dennisrfd wrote:
Oct 4th, 2019 3:20 pm
how do you make those things working with wheel volume/radio control buttons?
Generally, there's adapters for those. They are vehicle specific, so check a site like Crutchfield for model numbers.
TheRockNL wrote:
Oct 4th, 2019 3:24 pm
There are no dash kits available for that car, so I don't think it will fit.
EvanFBC wrote:
Oct 4th, 2019 3:28 pm
Kind of. They fit most cars, but require a 'dash kit' which is basically a bezel to make it look nice.
Check here to see what you'd need: https://www.crutchfield.ca/m_750/Car-St ... Parts.html?