Expired Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] Acer Nitro 15.6" Ryzen 5-2500U / 8GB RAM / 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD / RX560X - $750 save $250

[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
55 posts
58 upvotes

[Visions Electronics] Acer Nitro 15.6" Ryzen 5-2500U / 8GB RAM / 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD / RX560X - $750 save $250

Deal is Warm? It's hit this price before.

Entry level gaming laptop. Quote from the Anandtech Review, Feb 2019:
Even with the shortcomings, the Acer Nitro 5 is still a great value. The AMD powered model is even more so. At $669.99 as a starting price, it’s well under most Ultrabooks in terms of cost, yet delivers far more performance. And with the 256GB SSD model running just another $30, it’s a much better 15.6-inch laptop than many you see on the market with 1366x768 displays and 500 GB spinning drives. If you are after a gaming laptop and you’re on a budget, definitely check this model out.
4.5 hrs battery life web browsing
60fps Dota 2 Max Settings; 30fps Far Cry 5 Ultra Settings

Not going to play 2019 games above Med settings.

I'm just looking for something with a modern-ish CPU and dedicated GPU to play KSP, Civ and Football Manager. Generally I prefer to play games on PS4 but those games are better on PC than a TV IMO and the RX560X should be up to the task, no need for a 1060 etc. I'm struggling to find anything that can match this system at this price point today - even on eBay. Second RAM slot is vacant and accessible for a cheap-ish upgrade in the future.
20 replies
Feb 5, 2020
11 posts
22 upvotes
Wouldn't recommend this CPU, it was released in 2017 and is on par with 8th gen i3s. For $750 I think you can do better. The GPU is below average, on par or below a 960M
Apr 27, 2013
403 posts
372 upvotes
ziomorph wrote: Wouldn't recommend this CPU, it was released in 2017 and is on par with 8th gen i3s. For $750 I think you can do better. The GPU is below average, on par or below a 960M
Imo the CPU is closer to a 8th gen i5 and the GPU is better than a GTX 1050. Overall I think the deal is warm.
Dec 24, 2018
263 posts
236 upvotes
Canada
I don't think this laptop will last long. Honestly just bought an hp omen with gtx 1050 for 680 from walmart and can say that it is complete trash. Either will sell it at cost or return it for full refund.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3160 posts
2336 upvotes
No Bum Deals
I don’t wish to sound trollish but in my experience every item of Acer equipment I have had the misfortune to own has disintegrated in a very short space of time. Their laptops just fall apart.
🢂 Want COVID-19? Run around all the stores buying non-essential goods and help spread it around. Thanks! 🢀
Jan 20, 2019
236 posts
279 upvotes
FlyingSausage wrote: I don't think this laptop will last long. Honestly just bought an hp omen with gtx 1050 for 680 from walmart and can say that it is complete trash. Either will sell it at cost or return it for full refund.
Weren't you bragging about buying 10 of them?
Dec 19, 2010
576 posts
132 upvotes
I’ve been looking at the Asus ROG Strix as an entry level gaming laptop. Bestbuy has some decent configs in stock in the $1000 to $1200 range. Not sure what the general consensus on ROG is, seemed ok for casual gaming although one downside is the need to ship the laptop to the US for any in warranty repair required.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
55 posts
58 upvotes
I think once you get into the 1000 - 1200 price range you have to start looking at the Dell G5 and Lenovo Legion models as well.
Aug 9, 2019
7 posts
70 upvotes
I bought a AN515-53 back in August. I had to upgrade the RAM, but otherwise haven't had any issues gaming on it. I have it running a second monitor often so specs wise it works fine - if you require top graphics you'll have to pay for them.

However, and this a big issue, the plastic materials are crap. I broke one of the USB ports sliding my mouse in upside down with very little pressure. Further the track pad shifts up and down if you press next to it.

In the end, for the price it's a decent buy. It's an entry level gaming laptop. It will play your games; just not at the highest graphics settings. But I wouldn't give it to my kids as it would be destroyed in a week.
Aug 5, 2017
79 posts
110 upvotes
FlyingSausage wrote: will sell them to you at cost;)
Why would you buy up the low stock / prevent other people from buying just so that you can go ahead and resell them at cost? What a stupid idea
Dec 24, 2018
263 posts
236 upvotes
Canada
lilc09 wrote: Why would you buy up the low stock / prevent other people from buying just so that you can go ahead and resell them at cost? What a stupid idea
I meant I will sell you the open box one at cost.
Jan 20, 2019
236 posts
279 upvotes
lilc09 wrote: Why would you buy up the low stock / prevent other people from buying just so that you can go ahead and resell them at cost? What a stupid idea
He will even sell you, in his own words, "straight trash" at cost. What a deal!