Expired Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] Asus TUF 15.6" R7-4800H / 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD / RTX2060 Laptop (TUF506IV-AS76) $1,399 In store only.

[OP]
Aug 5, 2019
26 posts
51 upvotes

[Visions Electronics] Asus TUF 15.6" R7-4800H / 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD / RTX2060 Laptop (TUF506IV-AS76) $1,399 In store only.

If you're looking for something with decent specs at this price point it's worth checking out.

I know a lot of people are going to say wait for RTX 3000 or bad thermals, poor colour gamut etc etc....

I own this and yes if I stress test it thermals aren't great, but in normal workloads it's been great.

Fans can be a bit loud so if that bothers you, this isn't for you, I wear head phones most of the time at the computer though so I don't hear it.

Also I use this with desktop monitors when I'm doing colour critical work, but the laptop's screen is pretty good for gaming/media consumption in my opinion.

Also those who say wait for RTX 3000, nothing is confirmed yet and waiting for more performance at a cheaper price point generally only works well in the desktop market.

In my experience it seems laptop manufacturers charge a premium for new hardware by only putting it in the expensive models first, so my guess will be quite awhile after RTX 3000 is announced before we see anything in this price range in the laptop market.
32 replies
Dec 1, 2012
325 posts
370 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I don't think it is a good time to invest into any gaming laptop/desktop right now.

The ideally situation is getting a card, on par with next gen console performance, hopefully RTX3060, otherwise it will be obsolete in barely a few months.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8506 posts
1202 upvotes
$1,400 for the specs is pretty good.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
[OP]
Aug 5, 2019
26 posts
51 upvotes
chongsen wrote: I don't think it is a good time to invest into any gaming laptop/desktop right now.

The ideally situation is getting a card, on par with next gen console performance, hopefully RTX3060, otherwise it will be obsolete in barely a few months.
Based on what leaks I've seen and NVIDIA's pattern of releasing cards I'd bet that we won't see any lower end RTX 3000 desktops card until at least Q1 2021, and then it will take another couple of months to get to laptops.

Also, just on side note, I use this for video editing and other heavy workloads and having 8 cores and 16 threads and a RTX card is pretty sweet at this price point, great battery life too if I have to do anything away from a plug
Aug 15, 2015
66 posts
59 upvotes
Windsor
The Asus TUF series are all flawed... the intake and exhaust are severely blocked leading to extreme levels of heat, and the screen is horrible (extremely inaccurate color)...watch the hardware unlocked video on youtube
Last edited by jacobspeeds on Jun 25th, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
Jan 15, 2010
2 posts
2 upvotes
I'm in the market for a gaming laptop with similar specs and my research is basically this: it's not about waiting on new cards or tech, but whether I'd be able to find a similar deal from a much better designed brand within the next month. If you need a gaming laptop NOW however, go for it, $1400 is a good deal.
Oct 28, 2016
154 posts
227 upvotes
I feel the laptop if decent for its price, the screen is average but gets the job done for the price. It does the job for gaming.
Hardware Unboxed has been really skeptical of the cooling solution but today they uploaded an video responding to the previous video. Even after drilling new vents to cool the cpu and gpu on average they were only able to get it to go 3 degrees lower. But on the other hand the temp for SSD and VRM shot up. Even opening up side vents next to the heat sink didn’t help lower the temperature. It just made the components more hot.

Also no one is running back to back benchmark tests in their everyday workflow. It’s not perfect but its not as bad as some of the reviewers are claiming it to be. The Dell SE is at similar price point and they are not offering any spectacular screen compared to this.
Feb 3, 2013
26 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary
Everyone keeps speculating about the next big thing but no one really knows. My personal opinion is we will not see a sub $1800 laptop with a rtx 3000 series card. And if you're dropping $1800+, you're probably also in the market for a higher end (better design, better screen) laptop line than the TUF series which is more of a budget gaming lineup
Jan 26, 2018
832 posts
445 upvotes
Njoelk wrote: Based on what leaks I've seen and NVIDIA's pattern of releasing cards I'd bet that we won't see any lower end RTX 3000 desktops card until at least Q1 2021, and then it will take another couple of months to get to laptops.

Also, just on side note, I use this for video editing and other heavy workloads and having 8 cores and 16 threads and a RTX card is pretty sweet at this price point, great battery life too if I have to do anything away from a plug
By the time the 3060 laptop is available, people will have to start speculating new Ryzen processor.

Good to know the laptop works for you, I ordered mine from London Drugs sake and still waiting for the delivery.
Dec 25, 2003
275 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
jacobspeeds wrote: The Asus tuf series are flawed... the intake and exhaust on that is severely blocked, and the screen is horrible...watch any YouTube video and they'll tell you
Can you suggest something better for a similar price?
Apr 23, 2019
38 posts
274 upvotes
jacobspeeds wrote: The Asus tuf series are flawed... the intake and exhaust on that is severely blocked, and the screen is horrible...watch any YouTube video and they'll tell you
yeah sure but it's way cheaper than any other comparable laptop even with thermal throttling, and if you repaste it and cut holes in the bottom it solves the issue
Nov 22, 2017
50 posts
74 upvotes
Vancouver
The Spec and Price are awesome,
but DO NOT buy this, it is literally a HOT garbage the thermal design is horible
[OP]
Aug 5, 2019
26 posts
51 upvotes
byviolet wrote: yeah sure but it's way cheaper than any other comparable laptop even with thermal throttling, and if you repaste it and cut holes in the bottom it solves the issue
Cut holes in the bottom and you can make it get close to overheating some components (VRM, SSD) while only getting a ~4C temp drop. check out hardware unboxed's video from yesterday
[OP]
Aug 5, 2019
26 posts
51 upvotes
zerob86707 wrote: The Spec and Price are awesome,
but DO NOT buy this, it is literally a HOT garbage the thermal design is horible
Have you actually used one of these, I have it sitting right here and it's nowhere near as bad as some reviewers make it seem.

Nobody in the real world runs stress test's designed to make the most heat possible as their daily workload.

I'm run some fairly heavy workloads (video rendering etc.) and haven't got about 85c on the CPU yet, Ambient temp is 22-24c
Last edited by Njoelk on Jun 25th, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2345 posts
3137 upvotes
BC
byviolet wrote: yeah sure but it's way cheaper than any other comparable laptop even with thermal throttling, and if you repaste it and cut holes in the bottom it solves the issue
Idk about you but I wouldn’t want to drill into a $1500 laptop and potentially void the warranty..