Expired Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] Blackvue DR590 Dash Cam 44% off - $113 (HOT)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 3:21 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2011
420 posts
222 upvotes

[Visions Electronics] Blackvue DR590 Dash Cam 44% off - $113 (HOT)

I've seen a few dashcam deals on here this week but this is the best one in my opinion. I just picked up the Blackvue DR590 (1CH, Front only) from Visions which is also on sale for $118 (from 200), you can also save an additional $5 if you pick it up in store to bring the price down to $113.

https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/5 ... u=DR5901CH

I have been watching these models from Blackvue for months and this is the best price I've ever seen them in Canada.

You can also get the OBD adapter (Power Magic EZ) for 35$ which lets you run it in parking mode as it will provide a constant power source to the dashcam.

https://www.amazon.ca/BlackVue-Power-Ma ... 338&sr=8-2

What's nice about it is that it also has a cutoff and can turn off the dashcam after a set amount of time or if the power source drops to a certain voltage. This model doesn't have Wifi and the GPS is an optional accessory but overall, great reviews on this brand.

It comes with a 16gb MicroSD, I would recommend that you upgrade to a higher capacity, HIGH ENDURANCE card, especially if you'll be using it in parking mode.

I went with a 64gb Samsung Pro Endurance card, around $30 but if you can find any other high-endurance cards on sale, you can go with those.
https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Endurance ... 802&sr=8-3
Last edited by Tkavil on Dec 3rd, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
39 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8341 posts
3034 upvotes
Toronto
Is this easy to install yourself? Also, it seems to be 1 channel, so no rear camera option available?
Feb 3, 2019
280 posts
273 upvotes
Variability wrote: Is this easy to install yourself? Also, it seems to be 1 channel, so no rear camera option available?
looks like plug and play to 12v socket
[OP]
Aug 21, 2011
420 posts
222 upvotes
Variability wrote: Is this easy to install yourself? Also, it seems to be 1 channel, so no rear camera option available?
This is front-facing only, their 2ch option isn't on sale and run typically in the 300$+ range with this brand.

Like most dashcams, you can just stick it to your windshield and plug in using the cigarette lighter adapter; I personally opted to get the OBD adapter which is just as easy. Where it gets a bit trickier is tucking the wires along the trims but that doesn't take much time and the trim pops off very easily on most cars.
Jul 30, 2010
600 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
very good price.

One question, does this have a back camera as well? Recent dashcams are coming with back cams along with front as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2007
3228 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
hyperzore wrote: very good price.

One question, does this have a back camera as well? Recent dashcams are coming with back cams along with front as well.
looks like front only
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42086 posts
6646 upvotes
Tempting. Debating on using my BlackVue DR650GW-2CH that I have from 2015 from an older car into an existing car of mine. Or should I pick up this.

Thoughts?
Proud to be an Indian.
Sep 7, 2004
5846 posts
2215 upvotes
GTEH!
Tkavil wrote: I've seen a few dashcam deals on here this week but this is the best one in my opinion. I just picked up the Blackvue DR590 from Visions which is also on sale for $118 (from 200), you can also save an additional $5 if you pick it up in store to bring the price down to $113.

https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/5 ... u=DR5901CH

I have been watching these models from Blackvue for months and this is the best price I've ever seen them in Canada.

You can also get the OBD adapter (Power Magic EZ) for 35$ which lets you run it in parking mode as it will provide a constant power source to the dashcam.

https://www.amazon.ca/BlackVue-Power-Ma ... 338&sr=8-2

What's nice about it is that it also has a cutoff and can turn off the dashcam after a set amount of time or if the power source drops to a certain voltage. This model doesn't have Wifi and the GPS is an optional accessory but overall, great reviews on these cameras.

It comes with a 16gb MicroSD, I would recommend that you upgrade to a higher capacity, HIGH ENDURANCE card, especially if you'll be using it in parking mode.

I went with a 64gb Samsung Pro Endurance card, around $30 but if you can find any other high-endurance cards on sale, you can go with those.
https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Endurance ... 802&sr=8-3
Thanks for the deal.
Looks very similar to the Thinkware dashcam I bought for $79 during BF sale at BB.
😎
Sep 19, 2008
884 posts
807 upvotes
I have a Blackvue from 2011. Still working, although it won't record or turn off randomly sometimes until the internal battery full drains. Otherwise it's been working for 8 years so can't really complain.

My advice is to get one with WIFI. It is super annoying having to pull the SD card out every time you want to see a video
Aug 19, 2018
120 posts
26 upvotes
How does this compare to the Aukey low profile that was recently posted? Worth it to return that and get this? My car doesn't have an OBD port so I can't utilize the kit
Jan 22, 2019
315 posts
237 upvotes
It's a good deal considering the brand, but this is overpriced for the quality. Better off getting a Viofo A119.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2011
420 posts
222 upvotes
makaheehee wrote: How does this compare to the Aukey low profile that was recently posted? Worth it to return that and get this? My car doesn't have an OBD port so I can't utilize the kit
I don't have experience with Aukey dashcams but I've had no problems with other electronics I've used from them. The biggest difference that I'm seeing is that the BlackVue will do 60fps at 1080p where the Aukey can only do 30fps at 1080p. Otherwise, seems pretty good.
Dec 15, 2015
82 posts
32 upvotes
York, ON
From my experience with 1080p resolution, it will be very hard to see license plates unless the other car is really close.

I'm personally waiting for a dashcam capable of 1440p for front and rear before I upgrade from my Viofo A119 V2 (1440p and I believe the v3 is available now).
Last edited by sireleven on Dec 3rd, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 13, 2005
408 posts
55 upvotes
Mono, Ontario
how does this compare to the thinkware?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2972 posts
2882 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Good price for an established brand. I'm not too happy with my Blackvue 750s after 2 years of ownership, the camera randomly freezes if its running for more than a day or two straight, so i have to turn it off and on again every day to make sure it's working. Will go Thinkware when i'm ready to buy a new one.
sireleven wrote: From my experience with 1080p resolution, it will be very hard to see license plates unless the other car is really close.
Depends on a lot of factors, can't just judge by the resolution. Check out the youtube comparison videos to get an idea. Higher resolution ones are obviously better but are more money. 60 FPS helps a lot for motion (ie moving cars).
Oct 26, 2003
195 posts
187 upvotes
Caledon
krossfyah wrote: how does this compare to the thinkware?
To me my personal opinion is the Blackvue Brand is the defacto dash cam brand.. everyone else falls below them.. Quality Assurance and Build Quality are always top notch. No idea about single Chanel units but their two channel (front & rear) with gps is great!

Ps I put thinkware 2nd behind BV
Last edited by ravell on Dec 3rd, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 26, 2003
195 posts
187 upvotes
Caledon
sireleven wrote: From my experience with 1080p resolution, it will be very hard to see license plates unless the other car is really close.

I'm personally waiting for a dashcam capable of 1440p for front and rear before I upgrade from my Viofo A119 V2 (1440p and I believe the v3 is available now).
There are 4K units on the market now but everything comes at a price 4K units range 4-600. For a less than 100 dollar dash cam blackvue is what it is a good brand entry level dash cam and that records video. Hopefully the video is never to be needed..
Dec 15, 2015
82 posts
32 upvotes
York, ON
Ecsta wrote: Depends on a lot of factors, can't just judge by the resolution. Check out the youtube comparison videos to get an idea. Higher resolution ones are obviously better but are more money. 60 FPS helps a lot for motion (ie moving cars).
A lot of factors, I agree.

Anyway, I looked this one up on youtube, changed the Quality=1080p60fps and Playback Speed=0.5, and started at 0:13.
BlackVue DR590-1CH @ 1080p60 - roadtest (v1.003)

I've been pausing/playing the video until I can read the license plate of the red car.
Only became readable at around 1 meter.