Expired Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] Boss 6.75" Double-DIN Receiver with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto plus E-Link Dash Camera - $198

[OP]
Mar 29, 2013
168 posts
88 upvotes
Oshawa

[Visions Electronics] Boss 6.75" Double-DIN Receiver with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto plus E-Link Dash Camera - $198

I bought the headunit a few months ago for 198, which i thought was a good deal.
A free dashcam makes it much better!

I know boss isnt a great brand, but 6 months later, its still working great for me, and the install wasnt that bad.
Last edited by PilotInTraining on Apr 14th, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
18 replies
Jul 29, 2016
166 posts
114 upvotes
A free dashcam is a complete garbage: VGA (620x 480p) resolution (up to 1080p interpolated). You need true fullHD minimum to read plates from minimum distance.

and be advised: receiver is a Double-DIN, you cannot use it just like your cellphone, you have to do installation

and not a tablet like it appears on the product's picture
Last edited by ihorzu on Apr 14th, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 15, 2019
798 posts
939 upvotes
It's been this price for 2+ months since I started to look at HUs on visions two months ago.

bought xav ax3000 for 299 eventually.

I don't think BOSS HUs are bad, they've been around for a while. They are just not stable and / or reliable.
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 4GB UNLIMITED voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Jan 13, 2012
442 posts
483 upvotes
Vancouver
GammaRayFort wrote: It's been this price for 2+ months since I started to look at HUs on visions two months ago.

I don't think BOSS HUs are bad, they've been around for a while. They are just not stable and / or reliable.
Wow, nice price! Where at?
Mar 13, 2012
22 posts
6 upvotes
EDMONTON
GammaRayFort wrote: It's been this price for 2+ months since I started to look at HUs on visions two months ago.

Yes, please do share where you got this for $299
Mar 15, 2019
798 posts
939 upvotes
chris5555 wrote: Wow, nice price! Where at?
visions and here

it was that price on and off for a year.
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 4GB UNLIMITED voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35549 posts
21604 upvotes
Center of Universe
I'm assuming these only fit in vehicles 10yrs and older?
Mar 3, 2020
11 posts
16 upvotes
as the topic starter i ve bought this head unit about 4-5 months ago...for 198...without dashcam...and even without it, it is a pretty decent price for it. i enjoy the unit...it works flawlessly...waze...spotify...google maps...u name it...all are working good. responsiveness of the touchscreen is fine. so really...for 200 bucks this is a good product. bunch of cheaper 7inch noname units don't fit and u have to do plenty adjustments with filing the plastic....this guy just fits snuggly in to the dashboard.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6363 posts
4983 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I'm assuming these only fit in vehicles 10yrs and older?
I think Golf up to 2019 can still take a double DIN but kit much include new front fascia trim piece.

And you probably only want to rip out the base audio unit. Not the upgraded one.
Jan 7, 2006
572 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
I have this head unit, the radio tuner is pretty crappy (picks up alot of interference, not a ground loop issue) and a few times I've had pull the constant 12v to reboot it when it became non responsive. The reverse camera display has a big warning at the top that blocks the view at the top, not a big deal but I wish I could remove the warning. The media player repeat options also suck, you can't repeat a single folder but rather only repeat all or random only.

But over all, much better than a stock am fm CD player.
Apr 7, 2006
320 posts
283 upvotes
Kevin711 wrote: I have this head unit, the radio tuner is pretty crappy (picks up alot of interference, not a ground loop issue) and a few times I've had pull the constant 12v to reboot it when it became non responsive. The reverse camera display has a big warning at the top that blocks the view at the top, not a big deal but I wish I could remove the warning. The media player repeat options also suck, you can't repeat a single folder but rather only repeat all or random only.

But over all, much better than a stock am fm CD player.
I was having similar problems with having to reset it by unplugging it. I was lazy and used those awful blue t-tap connectors for the power/ground and that was the problem. Replaced them with proper butt connectors many months ago and the problem completely disappeared.
Jul 7, 2003
588 posts
273 upvotes
This is a very basic deck. But it has worked well for me. It got through winter without any issues. I'm not in the car too much so I mainly use the radio and Android Auto for maps and occasionally Spotify. At $198 for something that can do Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, it's a very good value IMO. Especially if you have an older vehicle that does not have Bluetooth or any other features which was the case for me.
Jan 7, 2006
572 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
Teioh wrote: I was having similar problems with having to reset it by unplugging it. I was lazy and used those awful blue t-tap connectors for the power/ground and that was the problem. Replaced them with proper butt connectors many months ago and the problem completely disappeared.
What were your symptoms? My deck powers on but no sound or volume control (the volume window doesn't pop up at all). Also the deck loses all settings each time I turn off the car (time, color scheme, radio favorites).

My harness adapter is soldered with heat shrink tubes. I redid the acc and constant 12v along with ground the first time it happened and verified the continuity, but it happened again a few months later and was fixed with a fuse pull.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1102 posts
560 upvotes
I really like the Alpine Halo9. Only thing that irks me is the 1 year warranty. Common 1 year warranty on a ~$1000 product with operating temperatures bewteen -20C and 60C???
The -20C worries me, it is colder than that any January day.
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_500ILXF259 ... ug=1002717
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_500ILXF309 ... ug=1002717

Wish Boss would make a product like this @ half price.
Oct 21, 2013
235 posts
91 upvotes
Ottawa
I am sure it goes lower than -20C, just what the tested it for likely. I bought this unit for my wife's 2005 Sienna (without dash cam). Works well, no issues.
Apr 7, 2006
320 posts
283 upvotes
Kevin711 wrote: What were your symptoms? My deck powers on but no sound or volume control (the volume window doesn't pop up at all). Also the deck loses all settings each time I turn off the car (time, color scheme, radio favorites).

My harness adapter is soldered with heat shrink tubes. I redid the acc and constant 12v along with ground the first time it happened and verified the continuity, but it happened again a few months later and was fixed with a fuse pull.
Very similar symptoms especially the volume and all settings returning to default. Eventually it would do a hard lockup where it would turn on but nothing would work at all and I'd have to unplug the big connector at the back (same thing as pulling the fuse really) and then it would work fine for a while.

If the constant and switched power and grounds are good then I don't know what to say unfortunately.
govas19 wrote: I really like the Alpine Halo9. Only thing that irks me is the 1 year warranty. Common 1 year warranty on a ~$1000 product with operating temperatures bewteen -20C and 60C???
The -20C worries me, it is colder than that any January day.
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_500ILXF259 ... ug=1002717
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_500ILXF309 ... ug=1002717

Wish Boss would make a product like this @ half price.
For that price you can get units with wireless android auto/carplay.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1682 posts
601 upvotes
Calgary
i have this one and it works amazing. looks nice as well. android auto works amazing and the main display for bluetooth audio doesnt look bad either! would buy again, and again, and again at $200.
[OP]
Mar 29, 2013
168 posts
88 upvotes
Oshawa
masarwar wrote: i have this one and it works amazing. looks nice as well. android auto works amazing and the main display for bluetooth audio doesnt look bad either! would buy again, and again, and again at $200.
its not the highest quality(obviously, its 200...) but at the price i paid, im super happy.

After the dash, the trim, harness adapter, backup camera, and the steering wheel controls(and beer and food for a buddy that gave me a hand) it was around 340.
Makes my crappy econobox car a lot more enjoyable to ride - and the camera is a great feature to have too!
If i had a newer car that i think would last longer, i'd go for a sony or alpine, but for my car, it works great.
I had android auto working well, and carplay when i switcher over to iOS.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1102 posts
560 upvotes
Teioh wrote: For that price you can get units with wireless android auto/carplay.
One word: 9" screen.
It is very useful especially when driving and following a map, or trying to make a phone call. Faster acquisition means less time spent with the eyes off the road. Also it hides the crappy plastic frame that you would have to put around the unit which makes the dashboard look bad.
There's a reason Tesla uses large screen for their cars. Right now I have a 6" and changing station while driving for example is a pain due to the small screen. So yeah, u can get a cheaper android carplay on a 6" screen with all the advantages and disadvantages that comes with.