Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] Cobra Radar and Laser Detector with OLED plus IVT Filter- Reconditioned (RAD450) $98 W/FS

[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10273 posts
4514 upvotes
Toronto

[Visions Electronics] Cobra Radar and Laser Detector with OLED plus IVT Filter- Reconditioned (RAD450) $98 W/FS

Visions has this Refurb. Cobra Radar and Laser Detector RAD450, for $98 with free shipping.
Reviews/comments are not too bad considering the price range. Not available in store in most provinces, but it looks like they will ship anywhere.
It is illegal to have one of these in a vehicle in some provinces, including ON, but not illegal to own or possess one. Check your local laws though, and of course in banned provinces you do run the risk of getting a ticket for operating one, if it's seen or detected.
For those stores that do stock these, you can order online for ISPU and save $5.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
62 replies
Dec 31, 2011
93 posts
114 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
I upvoted you but just a warning to people in Ontario about this.

Some of the cop cars here are set up with Radar detector detectors, called Spectre. It works by detecting the oscillation of your radar detector for the technical nerds here.
This means that cheap radar detectors like this one WILL be detected by cops that have this unit. They will then confisacate it and you get a round about $200 ticket.

If I remember correctly, only one radar detector, the Beltronics one, is completely invisable from being detected by this Spectre system (as far as I know) This unit is also VERY expensive, $500 or so for the portable one and over $1000 for the built into car version, but at least it (likely) won't be detected, seized, and you fined.
Either that or slow down :)
Feb 8, 2010
330 posts
273 upvotes
Learned something new. I always think Radar detector is passive, scanning for certain kind of signal.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1334 posts
228 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
It is passive, but internally it generates the radar frequencies it is trying to match and then compares what is generated to what is received. The internal frequency generator is not well shielded and the EMF escapes the unit. This is what the police are detecting.
Jun 4, 2018
232 posts
110 upvotes
Most OPP use laser since less cars will have laser jammers(also illegal), radar is mainly used when the police car is in motion afaik in Ontario. If you are police car parking perpendicular to vehicle moving direction, they are using laser

Using radar detector to detect laser is pointless, when you are notified your speed is already captured by the officer, so it's just a ticket notifier.

Also I think the fine for having radar detector /laser jammer in Ontario is more than just a fine, but I will have to look into it to confirm

3 demerit points, fine of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000, plus victim surcharge, plus device confiscated(Ontario)

For people interested there is a YouTube channel vortex radar that go in depth on what detectors are invisible to spectre and what jammers are good(and how to use it so you don't jam to gun and get pulled over for that)

TLDR: For Ontario folks, DO NOT buy this item, and DO NOT run radar detector/ Laser Jammer unless you know what you are doing
Last edited by AlexS37855 on Jul 25th, 2020 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
11300 posts
2950 upvotes
Scarberia
I've had one radar popo caught me. In 50km/hr school zone street. Prolly went 15over...Never been caught on highways I'm super surprised cuz I cruise at 140Smiling Face With Halo
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Jun 4, 2018
232 posts
110 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: I've had one radar popo caught me. In 50km/hr school zone street. Prolly went 15over...Never been caught on highways I'm super surprised cuz I cruise at 140Smiling Face With Halo
Ontario has a lot less police presence on the highway than States. OPP usually are only on the highway when there is an accident or when it is end of month(definitely not for quota). And even when they are on they are usually aiming for people over 150 because then they get to impound the vehicle(haven't heard of any news about police corrupting with tow truck drivers)
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1907 posts
3872 upvotes
Heard this piece of advice from like 10+ years ago on a forum, if you are running a radar detector (and you shouldn’t be) you should always carry a postage paid envelope, so If you get pulled over you slip the unit into the package and seal it. Something about it being mail and requiring a federal warrant to open, means that you can at least temporarily avoid the ticket. IANAL so not sure if this is one of those myths that circulate on the internet or actual legal advice
Jun 4, 2018
232 posts
110 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: Heard this piece of advice from like 10+ years ago on a forum, if you are running a radar detector (and you shouldn’t be) you should always carry a postage paid envelope, so If you get pulled over you slip the unit into the package and seal it. Something about it being mail and requiring a federal warrant to open, means that you can at least temporarily avoid the ticket. IANAL so not sure if this is one of those myths that circulate on the internet or actual legal advice
Not gonna work. They caught you most likely because you are running the radar detector (their RDD went off)

This is what's gonna happen
Dec 26, 2014
680 posts
557 upvotes
ON
These truly are a waste of time and money. Not to mention illegal to have in your vehicle in some provinces like Ontario.

A radar operator generally will wait until they observe a vehicle to be travelling well in excess of the speed limit before activating their handheld radar/lidar and at that point they already have your speed and it is too late.

Until the officer pulls the trigger on their radar/lidar, it does does not transmit any frequency or radar waves, so there is no way for a radar detector to pick it up.

Radars/lidars generally work on the same principle and most agencies use quite old systems.

The only potential use this detector has is for moving radar, that is assuming the officer drives with it on and transmitting constantly as opposed to only activating it when they observe a vehicle travelling in excess of the speed limit.

It is hilariously easy to determine who has a detector in their car. The officer can just drive behind traffic, flip their radar on and off a couple times to transmit. Then the officer simply observes which car or cars' brake lights illuminate at the same time the radar is activated.

The above will then lead to a traffic stop. At that point, you can surrender the detector voluntarily and recieve a ticket for it. If it is not surrendered voluntarily, the officer can then search your vehicle for it and seize it.

That's right folks, the officer may search your vehicle if they believe it contains a radar detector.

Save your money.
Last edited by polizeifritz on Jul 25th, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 31, 2011
93 posts
114 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
This is true. I went past an OPP officer on the 400 lets just say i was over the limit and he couldn't care less. I assume he was looking for the over 50 guys to impound them.
Empty road on the weekend. I almost pissed myself when I saw him.
Last edited by dan2011 on Jul 25th, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
53583 posts
18508 upvotes
How often do speed traps happen on Ontario highways?

I only typically see one vehicle pulled over per officer.

What about warnings on Waze or Google Maps, are those early enough?

I typically drive around 110 on the continuity lane but when I get a BEV in five years...
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2175 posts
2252 upvotes
Lol, so much energy is being expanded on trying to beat that speed trap, it's actually counterproductive. I personally always go over the limit by a bit and haven't received a ticket in 20+ years because I don't speed by any crazy amount. On the other hand, my father just received a pretty lousy ticket for going 65 in a 50 (not in a school zone). From what I've seen lately, cops are ticketing a bit more closely probably because the cities had been starved of tickets for months now due to COVID. So be careful out there.
Dec 31, 2011
93 posts
114 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
There is a guy on YouTube in Toronto who was using one of those beltronics stealth ones. It picks up radar up to 2 km away so when the cop is running radar on others down the road, this one gave a huge warning ahead of time. The laser detector was not as useful, in the video it shows that it only gives a few hundred feet warning and by then its too late, unless it hits the car ahead of you and the detector picks up the laser scatter.
I am interested in the technical side of technology so found the video interesting.
Last edited by dan2011 on Jul 25th, 2020 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.