Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] Cobra Radar and Laser Detector with OLED plus IVT Filter- Reconditioned (RAD450) $98 W/FS

Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
53583 posts
18508 upvotes
My uncle got a ticket a few years ago doing 135. He isn't on RFD to share the other side of the story lol.

For every tenured RFD member bragging about excessive speeding and not getting any ticket, I am sure there are these new RFD members asking for advice on how to beat a ticketKissing Face With Closed Eyes
Last edited by alanbrenton on Jul 25th, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2175 posts
2252 upvotes
AlexS37855 wrote: Not gonna work. They caught you most likely because you are running the radar detector (their RDD went off)

This is what's gonna happen
I wonder how that court date went. What a bunch of clueless losers.
Oct 29, 2008
546 posts
256 upvotes
L4J
idiotcanuck wrote: ... Not available in store in most provinces, but it looks like they will ship anywhere. ...
Your cart contains items that require In-Store Pickup. Please select a local store below that has inventory available for your pickup order.

Ontario is not including.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2175 posts
2252 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: My uncle got a ticket a few years ago doing 135. He isn't on RFD to share the other side of the story lol.
On a regular street?

Closest I've come to that was doing 105 in a 60, decades ago, when I was in a hurry to get to a lecture and trying to pass a convoy of trucks by using a lane that was about to end. Got caught, but the old cop was so gentle and amazing. He just kept saying he was concerned for my safety and didn't want me to end up dead, which he sees regularly. I was contrite and acknowledged my stupid act. He even reduced my speed to 90 on the ticket. I chose to dispute that ticket so I wouldn't get a huge insurance increase. Luckily, when I went to court a year later (it was postponed once, due to exams at my school) the cop had retired and didn't come, so the ticket was thrown out. I still learned my lesson and haven't received a ticket since.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
53583 posts
18508 upvotes
thelasthunter wrote: On a regular street?

Closest I've come to that was doing 105 in a 60, decades ago, when I was in a hurry to get to a lecture and trying to pass a convoy of trucks by using a lane that was about to end. Got caught, but the old cop was so gentle and amazing. He just kept saying he was concerned for my safety and didn't want me to end up dead, which he sees regularly. I was contrite and acknowledged my stupid act. He even reduced my speed to 90 on the ticket. I chose to dispute that ticket so I wouldn't get a huge insurance increase. Luckily, when I went to court a year later (it was postponed once, due to exams at my school) the cop had retired and didn't come, so the ticket was thrown out. I still learned my lesson and haven't received a ticket since.
Highway of course. I have not been in my twenties for decades now.

I used to do 150 on my 02 Civic too in the mid 2000's from London to GTA but it's more like following the flow of traffic, which is why I asked about speed traps because that's the only time even following the few cars ahead will land you in trouble.

Gasoline was 60c then.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 3, 2009
10273 posts
4514 upvotes
Toronto
St.Genis wrote: Your cart contains items that require In-Store Pickup. Please select a local store below that has inventory available for your pickup order.

Ontario is not including.
It is showing OOS online now.
I would give my life to protect your right to say something really funking stupid.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1540 posts
987 upvotes
Montréal
I have regularly driven 139 Quebec roads. You can drive up to 144 without severe sanctions (just 3 points)
You can beat radar tickets (because of spread of radar for example)
Laser tickets are harder to beat and police almost always use laser in speed traps
-You can always negotiate down a ticket , minimum is a 1 point break. It will still ding your insurance
-Waze is key for avoiding speed traps 95% effective (when there are other wazer driving around too)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
5631 posts
2210 upvotes
Canuckland
This RD is garbage though, you get what you paid for.

Go do your DD and find one that fits your needs

Back when I lived in the west, I bought one and never looked back from https://www.kmph.ca/
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
5062 posts
4666 upvotes
Did anyone think about not speeding? Why go 80 in a 40 school zone?
Jun 20, 2018
61 posts
30 upvotes
Ok, so how about BC? I rarely drive out of the province and can remove if I drive down to Washington.

Anyone have experience with BC for this or similar products?
Dec 10, 2009
312 posts
471 upvotes
Simply put, don't do it in Ontario. I live out West where it's legal. I don't do anything outrageous, safety first. However most cops around here use laser, and my laser jammer has saved me much more times than my RD.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
4816 posts
1348 upvotes
To clear up a couple things in the thread:
dan2011 wrote: I upvoted you but just a warning to people in Ontario about this.

Some of the cop cars here are set up with Radar detector detectors, called Spectre. It works by detecting the oscillation of your radar detector for the technical nerds here.
This means that cheap radar detectors like this one WILL be detected by cops that have this unit. They will then confisacate it and you get a round about $200 ticket.

If I remember correctly, only one radar detector, the Beltronics one, is completely invisable from being detected by this Spectre system (as far as I know) This unit is also VERY expensive, $500 or so for the portable one and over $1000 for the built into car version, but at least it (likely) won't be detected, seized, and you fined.
Either that or slow down :)
AlexS37855 wrote: Most OPP use laser since less cars will have laser jammers(also illegal), radar is mainly used when the police car is in motion afaik in Ontario. If you are police car parking perpendicular to vehicle moving direction, they are using laser

Using radar detector to detect laser is pointless, when you are notified your speed is already captured by the officer, so it's just a ticket notifier.

Also I think the fine for having radar detector /laser jammer in Ontario is more than just a fine, but I will have to look into it to confirm

3 demerit points, fine of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000, plus victim surcharge, plus device confiscated(Ontario)

For people interested there is a YouTube channel vortex radar that go in depth on what detectors are invisible to spectre and what jammers are good(and how to use it so you don't jam to gun and get pulled over for that)

TLDR: For Ontario folks, DO NOT buy this item, and DO NOT run radar detector/ Laser Jammer unless you know what you are doing
Most OPP in the GTA use laser, most outside the GTA use radar. I can tell you about 5-10% of OPP cruisers have detectors in them.
polizeifritz wrote: These truly are a waste of time and money. Not to mention illegal to have in your vehicle in some provinces like Ontario.

A radar operator generally will wait until they observe a vehicle to be travelling well in excess of the speed limit before activating their handheld radar/lidar and at that point they already have your speed and it is too late.

Until the officer pulls the trigger on their radar/lidar, it does does not transmit any frequency or radar waves, so there is no way for a radar detector to pick it up.

Radars/lidars generally work on the same principle and most agencies use quite old systems.

The only potential use this detector has is for moving radar, that is assuming the officer drives with it on and transmitting constantly as opposed to only activating it when they observe a vehicle travelling in excess of the speed limit.

It is hilariously easy to determine who has a detector in their car. The officer can just drive behind traffic, flip their radar on and off a couple times to transmit. Then the officer simply observes which car or cars' brake lights illuminate at the same time the radar is activated.

The above will then lead to a traffic stop. At that point, you can surrender the detector voluntarily and recieve a ticket for it. If it is not surrendered voluntarily, the officer can then search your vehicle for it and seize it.

That's right folks, the officer may search your vehicle if they believe it contains a radar detector.

Save your money.
Good points, but a lot of officers do drive around with their radar activated all the time (myself included, when I used to do enforcement).

According the HTA, officer only needs to suspect driver is using radar detector and they can search the car. I've seen on multiple occasions where the car has been towed to the detachment and stripped completely, looking for the device, including taking the dash apart and removing seats. No damage incurred, but a huge hassle and waste of time for everybody involved.

I concur that in Ontario these are not worth the cost and can end up costing you a lot more in the long run...
Jun 4, 2018
232 posts
110 upvotes
Prezbot wrote: Ok, so how about BC? I rarely drive out of the province and can remove if I drive down to Washington.

Anyone have experience with BC for this or similar products?
I think there were some debate as law didn't explicitly ban radar detector, better read up on the current status.

RD is legal in Washington, in fact it is only illegal in very few state(namely Virginia) and around military base. But even in Virginia getting caught with one is like a 40 dollars ticket with no points so it's a lot less than any Canadian province that bans them.
Jun 4, 2018
232 posts
110 upvotes
joshmxpx wrote: To clear up a couple things in the thread:

Most OPP in the GTA use laser, most outside the GTA use radar. I can tell you about 5-10% of OPP cruisers have detectors in them.

Good points, but a lot of officers do drive around with their radar activated all the time (myself included, when I used to do enforcement).

According the HTA, officer only needs to suspect driver is using radar detector and they can search the car. I've seen on multiple occasions where the car has been towed to the detachment and stripped completely, looking for the device, including taking the dash apart and removing seats. No damage incurred, but a huge hassle and waste of time for everybody involved.

I concur that in Ontario these are not worth the cost and can end up costing you a lot more in the long run...
Nice to know. I heard some officers in the States drive with radar on when responding to emergencies since people tend to get out of the way much faster when their RD in the car is going crazy.
Mar 5, 2017
92 posts
56 upvotes
vancouver
I have a Uniden LRD950 with a GPS and red light camera alerts.

Now that the NDP added "photo radar" to the cameras it's important to have GPS. It's a reminder not only to not try to beat the light but also to not speed through.

You can add user alerts (for new cameras in the future) as well as lock-outs for annoying door openers etc.