Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] Cobra Radar and Laser Detector with OLED plus IVT Filter- Reconditioned (RAD450) $98 W/FS

Dec 31, 2011
93 posts
114 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
I thought the radar detector could also pick up photo radar as well, assuming it is using radar in its detection system? without needing the gps data? Unless I am misunderstanding
Nov 24, 2008
243 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
Just FYI, it is all laser now and not radar. Laser will have already given your speed reading before it is even detected. The new dragon device can easily read a clear km away. Slow down or expect a ticket if speeding 🤷🏼
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2247 posts
295 upvotes
Burnaby
good to know.
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4953 posts
683 upvotes
djpate86 wrote: Just FYI, it is all laser now and not radar. Laser will have already given your speed reading before it is even detected. The new dragon device can easily read a clear km away. Slow down or expect a ticket if speeding 🤷🏼
Depends where u are. Western Canada is still K band on Hwys.
Feb 16, 2005
787 posts
294 upvotes
Don't waste your time on this. These are complete garbage. Check out the reviews they are not good.
Hey you! Stop! This is the TIV POLICE get down on your hands and knees and let go of that stack of Fallout New Vegas NOW!
Feb 16, 2005
787 posts
294 upvotes
162 wrote: Depends where u are. Western Canada is still K band on Hwys.
Ka not K
Hey you! Stop! This is the TIV POLICE get down on your hands and knees and let go of that stack of Fallout New Vegas NOW!
May 4, 2008
78 posts
89 upvotes
djpate86 wrote: Just FYI, it is all laser now and not radar. Laser will have already given your speed reading before it is even detected. The new dragon device can easily read a clear km away. Slow down or expect a ticket if speeding 🤷🏼
Laser can only be operated while stationary. A police car clocking you while on the move would be using radar. Which band it operates on depends on the model of the unit. Different agencies and different vehicles may be using different frequencies depending on the age of the unit. I expect most would be KA, but there might be some K in use as well.

This may afford some warning/protection against patrol officers doing more "casual" enforcement. Against a skilled/disciplined officer that doesn't have his radar on and transmitting needlessly or is using Lidar? You might be looking at mitigating the damage (if you're lucky)

I have this model and aside from reminding me that my city uses radar on some of the traffic lights to detect vehicles / synchronize the lights it's of little use. Even the range at which it was picking up some the automated construction zone speed displays was a bit disappointing. I've had it where it would alert basically at the same time my speed was being displayed. This won't detect the newer automated photo radars either.

I've got it for the novelty / because I can more than anything. Truth is It may or may not warn you before it's too late and I wouldn't put much faith into it. More expensive units might do better, but you're nearly as likely to "meet your match".
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
1507 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
djpate86 wrote: Just FYI, it is all laser now and not radar.
Just an FYI you have no clue what you are talking about. Save your keystrokes next time
Oct 1, 2008
146 posts
70 upvotes
thesubmitter wrote:
-Waze is key for avoiding speed traps 95% effective (when there are other wazer driving around too)
I love Waze...saved me a few times. I find its not used as much in Canada as the US side. Great tool for debris and pot holes on the road as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1444 posts
519 upvotes
Just an FYI,

Powers of police officer
(3) A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device contrary to subsection (2) and may seize and take away any speed measuring warning device found in or upon the motor vehicle. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
4816 posts
1348 upvotes
Wrong, radar is still very common and indeed way more utilized than laser, at least in Ontario
forexnut wrote: I love Waze...saved me a few times. I find its not used as much in Canada as the US side. Great tool for debris and pot holes on the road as well.
I would recommend Waze before spending any money on a detector. Usually within 10 minutes of someone setting up a trap it's reported on Waze...
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
2583 posts
1290 upvotes
Victoria
QTheNukes wrote: Just an FYI,

Powers of police officer
(3) A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device contrary to subsection (2) and may seize and take away any speed measuring warning device found in or upon the motor vehicle. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.
Next time, please state your source. This is taken from the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, which does not apply to everyone on RFD (though it often feels that way).
Dec 31, 2011
93 posts
114 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
kahos wrote: This won't detect the newer automated photo radars either.
Does it not detect automated photo radars? If they are using actual radar and not laser, it should give warning on the radar detector?
Genuinely curious
Mar 5, 2017
92 posts
56 upvotes
vancouver
I used "photo radar" in quotes because they are red light cameras with sensors in the roadway to catch your speed - then snap your picture. Same money grab the NDP got booted out for with their photo radar.

When I go through I get a red light camera warning on my Uniden but the detector is silent for radar.

I got a ka band announcement last week and eventually came upon a police car running radar.

I also got hit with laser and hit the brakes and didn't get a ticket. There was a car in the left lane that pulled ahead when I braked and probably confused the cop. Or it could have been scatter from him hitting the other car first.

I got my Uniden LRD950 from London Drugs on clearance for $179. Now Visions has a newer model for $448 same as KMPH.

https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/4 ... 0&sku=DFR9
Feb 9, 2011
52 posts
33 upvotes
Barrie
I have Waze running any time I am out driving. It does a pretty good job alerting speed traps. Obviously cops that are rolling it is not much help though.