Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] Cobra Radar and Laser Detector with OLED plus IVT Filter- Reconditioned (RAD450) $98 W/FS

Feb 4, 2016
119 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Prezbot wrote: Ok, so how about BC? I rarely drive out of the province and can remove if I drive down to Washington.

Anyone have experience with BC for this or similar products?
Radar are legal in BC. I bought this during the covid health care discount thing from visions. Imo it's useless Face With Tears Of Joy. Beeps for all the speed signs on bridges. Gets false beeps im guessing from new radar tech in cars. It saved me a few times when it screams laser. But I don't know even know if the cop actually got me or it was warning me from someone else getting detected. I did see the cop eventually and I would've never seen him as the sun was setting and you can't see squat in front. Luckily I wasn't even speeding. This radar does have spectre and vs2 or something (detecting radar detectors) but don't know how accurate it is. All in all if you want a real radar detector this probably isn't it Face With Tears Of Joy but if you want gimmick and all this isn't too bad I guess. It feels expensive lol. Build is nice. But I have no clue if it really works. Those review videos on YouTube about it, those cop cars actually have radar on in their vehicles. Here in Canada RCMP and your local municipal police force probably just eye ball you or gauge your speed based on their travelling speed which a radar can't help you.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
1906 posts
931 upvotes
dan2011 wrote: I upvoted you but just a warning to people in Ontario about this.

Some of the cop cars here are set up with Radar detector detectors, called Spectre. It works by detecting the oscillation of your radar detector for the technical nerds here.
This means that cheap radar detectors like this one WILL be detected by cops that have this unit. They will then confisacate it and you get a round about $200 ticket.

If I remember correctly, only one radar detector, the Beltronics one, is completely invisable from being detected by this Spectre system (as far as I know) This unit is also VERY expensive, $500 or so for the portable one and over $1000 for the built into car version, but at least it (likely) won't be detected, seized, and you fined.
Either that or slow down :)
+1. My idiot buddy years ago got a $600+ ticket in Quebec for using one of these (going back like 15+ years now, cops have been doing this). He got nailed with a $200 ticket for the device, $200 for speeding, and some other $200 Quebec "@#$% you, come again" administration fee, AND confiscated the device. Worst part is that he was only doing like ~120 KPH which wouldn't have gotten us a ticket in the first place :facepalm:
Feb 8, 2011
250 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
razrsharp wrote: +1. My idiot buddy years ago got a $600+ ticket in Quebec for using one of these (going back like 15+ years now, cops have been doing this). He got nailed with a $200 ticket for the device, $200 for speeding, and some other $200 Quebec "@#$% you, come again" administration fee, AND confiscated the device. Worst part is that he was only doing like ~120 KPH which wouldn't have gotten us a ticket in the first place :facepalm:
Once upon a time i had nothing better to do so went to traffic court and tickets i seen ....i couldn't stop laughing.
1) Doctor forgot to renew his plates ...ticketed
2) Putting lipstick while driving... ticketed
3) Plate covered with red plastic cover ...ticketed
4) No documents ...ticketed
5) Licence worn out one side...ticketed
6) Driving deaf (person was deaf)..could not hear emergency vehicle approaching and failed to give right of way....ticketed
7) Run red light because left glasses at work and contact at home ...ticketed
List is long...

Most common was speeding ...and when some one made argument that i was driving 110 in 100 and officer still ticketed me....Judge said...Sir, i am not stupid nor my officer...he must have clock you at more than 120 and gave you break to reduce the fine....now since you argued ...lets ask officer what his note says...and Officer being a nice guy shows Judge his note of that day showing he clocked this guy at 128km and reduced to 110 as warning. ....we can debate all legal stuff that according to law officer must be ethical and don't reduce fines blah blah blah.....but i remember Judge key words....sir speed limit is 100Km not 101Km or 110Km ...so technically officer can issue ticket for even a 1 Km over posted speed limit.....and yes all three lanes on 401 is 100Km ....there is no such things as Fast lane....

That day was fantastic and learned lot ....
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2008
1581 posts
287 upvotes
antibucks wrote: I used "photo radar" in quotes because they are red light cameras with sensors in the roadway to catch your speed - then snap your picture. Same money grab the NDP got booted out for with their photo radar.

When I go through I get a red light camera warning on my Uniden but the detector is silent for radar.

I got a ka band announcement last week and eventually came upon a police car running radar.

I also got hit with laser and hit the brakes and didn't get a ticket. There was a car in the left lane that pulled ahead when I braked and probably confused the cop. Or it could have been scatter from him hitting the other car first.

I got my Uniden LRD950 from London Drugs on clearance for $179. Now Visions has a newer model for $448 same as KMPH.

https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/4 ... 0&sku=DFR9
Were you using a laser jammer? I wonder if that strategy of jammer switch, slamming on the brakes then switch again, still works in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
1906 posts
931 upvotes
yorkhvac wrote: Once upon a time i had nothing better to do so went to traffic court and tickets i seen ....i couldn't stop laughing.
1) Doctor forgot to renew his plates ...ticketed
2) Putting lipstick while driving... ticketed
3) Plate covered with red plastic cover ...ticketed
4) No documents ...ticketed
5) Licence worn out one side...ticketed
6) Driving deaf (person was deaf)..could not hear emergency vehicle approaching and failed to give right of way....ticketed
7) Run red light because left glasses at work and contact at home ...ticketed
List is long...

Most common was speeding ...and when some one made argument that i was driving 110 in 100 and officer still ticketed me....Judge said...Sir, i am not stupid nor my officer...he must have clock you at more than 120 and gave you break to reduce the fine....now since you argued ...lets ask officer what his note says...and Officer being a nice guy shows Judge his note of that day showing he clocked this guy at 128km and reduced to 110 as warning. ....we can debate all legal stuff that according to law officer must be ethical and don't reduce fines blah blah blah.....but i remember Judge key words....sir speed limit is 100Km not 101Km or 110Km ...so technically officer can issue ticket for even a 1 Km over posted speed limit.....and yes all three lanes on 401 is 100Km ....there is no such things as Fast lane....

That day was fantastic and learned lot ....
Honestly I think some of the funds that go into police traffic control could go into automated systems that could do the job better (speeding, red lights, stop signs, etc.). Go to court and discuss evidence, done (usually). Appropriate those funds for solving real problems like improving police relations for disenfranchised communities, and the like.
Mar 5, 2017
92 posts
56 upvotes
vancouver
saffant wrote: Were you using a laser jammer? I wonder if that strategy of jammer switch, slamming on the brakes then switch again, still works in Ontario.
No - I don't have a jammer.
May 4, 2008
78 posts
89 upvotes
dan2011 wrote: Does it not detect automated photo radars? If they are using actual radar and not laser, it should give warning on the radar detector?
Genuinely curious
Nope. My city has brand new gear and apparently it's quite shifty. No warning whatsoever. Apparently some are low power/ jump between frequencies and what not to avoid triggering radar detectors.

I think I've read Edmonton uses MRCD tech.
https://radenso.com/blogs/radar-univers ... taradar-cd

Using Waze sort of bridges the gap.
Jun 4, 2018
232 posts
110 upvotes
kehfun wrote: Radar are legal in BC. I bought this during the covid health care discount thing from visions. Imo it's useless Face With Tears Of Joy. Beeps for all the speed signs on bridges. Gets false beeps im guessing from new radar tech in cars. It saved me a few times when it screams laser. But I don't know even know if the cop actually got me or it was warning me from someone else getting detected. I did see the cop eventually and I would've never seen him as the sun was setting and you can't see squat in front. Luckily I wasn't even speeding. This radar does have spectre and vs2 or something (detecting radar detectors) but don't know how accurate it is. All in all if you want a real radar detector this probably isn't it Face With Tears Of Joy but if you want gimmick and all this isn't too bad I guess. It feels expensive lol. Build is nice. But I have no clue if it really works. Those review videos on YouTube about it, those cop cars actually have radar on in their vehicles. Here in Canada RCMP and your local municipal police force probably just eye ball you or gauge your speed based on their travelling speed which a radar can't help you.
9 out of 10 times if your detector "detects" laser then that means the officer already gets a reading. The one time that the officer hit another car and detector picked up the scatter is pure luck
Jun 4, 2018
232 posts
110 upvotes
kahos wrote: Nope. My city has brand new gear and apparently it's quite shifty. No warning whatsoever. Apparently some are low power/ jump between frequencies and what not to avoid triggering radar detectors.

I think I've read Edmonton uses MRCD tech.
https://radenso.com/blogs/radar-univers ... taradar-cd

Using Waze sort of bridges the gap.
There are detectors that can detect MRCD, however its gonna cost a lot more than 100

Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
1507 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
kehfun wrote: Radar are legal in BC. I bought this during the covid health care discount thing from visions. Imo it's useless Face With Tears Of Joy. Beeps for all the speed signs on bridges. Gets false beeps im guessing from new radar tech in cars.
dont know about this particular detector, but if possible turn off X and K bands as BC only uses Ka (in car) and Laser (speed traps) - no more false beeps (or hardly any). Washington state may still run some X (not sure, but they used to), so if you head south after COVID maybe turn them all back on.
Nov 24, 2012
304 posts
116 upvotes
Saint-Laurent
A lot of misinformation in here .
But I do not have time to take to answer each wrong info.
I doubt somebody would beat me to info about radar detectors. I must have spent over 10 000$ in radar detectors until about 4 years ago. I was obsess.

MY advice for those who think of paying less than 500$ for a radar detector is : USE WAZE. Way way way more effective. And way less dangerous. Be proactive and help the others and other will help you.
As an example, QC is ( it was at least ) 500$ + fine and radar confiscated and destroyed.
Feb 11, 2018
975 posts
853 upvotes
One aspect not mentioned in this thread is the following; If you are driving above the speed limit you are breaking the law. If you are involved in an accident with casualties while breaking the law you are in a much worse situation than if if you were driving at or near the posted speed limit. You could be blamed even if it is not your fault.
Goodbye!
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3539 posts
2324 upvotes
GTA
My car came from the factory with speedometer so I don't need this. But for some drivers who left their brains behind (or never had one) - for sure this unit can be helpful.
Sep 7, 2018
536 posts
383 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote: My car came from the factory with speedometer so I don't need this. But for some drivers who left their brains behind (or never had one) - for sure this unit can be helpful.
you wait until photo radar nails you for 2km/h over the speed limit. lol
Apr 24, 2013
462 posts
233 upvotes
Crna Gora
raver4444 wrote: A lot of misinformation in here .
But I do not have time to take to answer each wrong info.
I doubt somebody would beat me to info about radar detectors. I must have spent over 10 000$ in radar detectors until about 4 years ago. I was obsess.

MY advice for those who think of paying less than 500$ for a radar detector is : USE WAZE. Way way way more effective. And way less dangerous. Be proactive and help the others and other will help you.
As an example, QC is ( it was at least ) 500$ + fine and radar confiscated and destroyed.
Oh comon, share some knowledge, that is why we are here :)