[Visions Electronics] Crappy Dash Cam - $9 but $5 Kingston 32GB micro sd

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2019 9:25 pm
[OP]
Mar 17, 2018
540 posts
694 upvotes

[Visions Electronics] Crappy Dash Cam - $9 but $5 Kingston 32GB micro sd

I have two of these dash cams and both are good for basic recording but very grainy. Now, before I get slammed on this, I'm more pointing out that if you buy this dash cam, you get a Kingston 32GB micro sd card for $5. It doesn't say anywhere that you have to keep the return the sd card if you return the dash cam. My point is, if you want a crappy dash cam, go for it. But if you want a 32GB sd card for $5, then buy both and return the dash cam the next day. Just saying I think $5 for a 32GB sd card is a decent price.
Yes, I'd like to price match RedFlagDeals please - Ken Adams

$45 4GB Unlimited Talk/Text Canada Rogers
$23.99 1GB Unlimited Talk/Text Canada Public Mobile
$0.00 a month (FREE using Google Opinion Rewards) Unlimited Talk/Text Fongo Mobile App
37 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
3630 posts
2596 upvotes
After shipping & tax it comes to $23.67 which is most certainly not a good deal.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2834 posts
1422 upvotes
Vancouver
Seems like a lot of work given you can buy a 32GB Kingston Canvas Select for $10 (regular price) from Memory Express or Amazon. Or $8 from Canada Computers.
Oct 18, 2015
195 posts
98 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
KenAdams wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 8:01 pm
I have two of these dash cams and both are good for basic recording but very grainy. Now, before I get slammed on this, I'm more pointing out that if you buy this dash cam, you get a Kingston 32GB micro sd card for $5. It doesn't say anywhere that you have to keep the return the sd card if you return the dash cam. My point is, if you want a crappy dash cam, go for it. But if you want a 32GB sd card for $5, then buy both and return the dash cam the next day. Just saying I think $5 for a 32GB sd card is a decent price.
How grainy/bad is it? I am currently using a crappy Chinese one, and although the image quality is decent, the software is buggy as heck and loop recording doesn't work all the time -- I have to manually format the card or it will stop recording when the SD is full. Is it at least better than that?

Is it powered by a mini-USB or micro-USB? Wanted to see if I can just do a drop-in replacement with my existing one... thanks for your help, tried to look for specs but can't find any =(
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2015
1141 posts
144 upvotes
Peterborough
think you can buyt these same one from ebay cheaper garbage
Mar 10, 2012
549 posts
804 upvotes
PEACHLAND
This sounds like a silly amount of work to save a couple dollars...
Penalty Box
Jul 23, 2007
2440 posts
1163 upvotes
Vancouver
oh great
i'm doing this
Nov 19, 2005
279 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
I think it's stupid to go ultra cheap on dash cams. Dash cams are one of those things that are kind of like insurance (pretty much a second layer of insurance, really), you hope you'll never actually need it, but if you do it could save you thousands.

It's pretty much a one-time expense, so even if you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on one, you should at least buy a well-reviewed budget one, instead of an ultra cheap no-name one that may or may not work when you actually need it to.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2010
1353 posts
842 upvotes
Land
To bad the shipping killing the deal..
Anyway, micro sd are getting cheaper and cheaper, so might not be the best deal out there.

Thanks for posting it OP.
. . . .

Be Nice...

. . . .
Oct 1, 2005
61 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
KenAdams wrote:
OP link shows $14 not $9.
This link is for $9 - https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/catego ... u=EK770CAM
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2005
1685 posts
2 upvotes
Thornhill
KenAdams wrote:
Any good Dashcam memory cards on sale for COLD and HOT weathers?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2765 upvotes
elite wrote:
Apr 27th, 2019 10:08 am
Any good Dashcam memory cards on sale for COLD and HOT weathers?
Memory cards are pretty much unaffected by temperature. It's the continuous writing in a dashcam that wears out the memory card rapidly, as regular TLC memory is only good for about 1000 writes. Some people buy a "high endurance" microSD card, which typically uses MLC memory for about triple the write cycles. Others just buy a bigger microSD card because that also reduces the number of overwrites.

What is affected by temperature is the battery. Batteries don't like extreme cold (kills the power) or extreme heat (reduces the lifespan), and dashcams are often exposed to both. The alternative is to use a supercapacitor in place of the battery, which in theory has better resistance to extreme heat or cold. But it only supplies a minute or so of power, just enough to shut down cleanly and maintain the clock while powered down.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2018
540 posts
694 upvotes
Like I said folks, it's a cheap dash cam. Some people can't afford high end cameras.

I couldn't find any "dash cam" info in the forums. So feel free to post any good dash cams that could help people out.

This is what I'm looking at.

https://www.amazon.ca/ROVE-R2-4K-Ultra- ... 199&sr=8-4
Yes, I'd like to price match RedFlagDeals please - Ken Adams

$45 4GB Unlimited Talk/Text Canada Rogers
$23.99 1GB Unlimited Talk/Text Canada Public Mobile
$0.00 a month (FREE using Google Opinion Rewards) Unlimited Talk/Text Fongo Mobile App
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17050 posts
4798 upvotes
Toronto
Spend $50-$70 and buy a dash cam that is reliable and will actually work.