• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2019 4:56 pm
[OP]
Sep 28, 2009
135 posts
370 upvotes
Barrie, ON

[Visions Electronics] Hisense 65" H9908 Series 4K ULED Open Box $898

Seems like a fair price for the top of the line in the Hisense range. Yes, this an open box, limited quantity deal but Visions extended the warranty for a second year.

I believe you are still covered by the return policy in case you get a lemon:
"If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return it within 15 days of receiving the purchase and we will gladly give you a refund (details below). If you have a need to exchange a product because it is defective or in favor of a different product, please contact us within 30 days of receiving the purchase and we'll exchange it for you."

Features:

ULED 4K TV

Hisense's patented ULED technology makes images stunningly vibrant and lifelike through an exclusive combination of color, contrast, resolution and smooth motion. The Hisense H9908 features Wide Colour Gamut, a UHD Upscaler, Ultra Motion Rate and HDR to offer you the absolute best in picture quality.
Amazon Alexa Enabled

The Hisense H9908 and Amazon Echo work together with voice control through Alexa
4K Resolution/UHD Upscaler

With over 8 million pixels, the Hisense H9908 Series offers a clearer, more defined picture when compared to Full HD. Breathe new life in older videos thanks to our UHD Upscaler which converts lower resolution content into stunning near 4K. Get ready to experience your favourite movies and shows in a whole new way
Wide Colour Gamut

Wide Colour Gamut technology expands the number of colours that the Hisense H9908 can display, delivering a picture that feels real. Hisense's tech produces true-to-life details by displaying billions of colours, keeping you captivated in everything you watch from start to finish.
Android TV

Customize your entertainment with a familiar friend. The Android TV operating system gives you access to the most apps, content and entertainment while the Hisense H9908 one-touch remote provides fast access to your favourite movies and shows at the touch of a button.
HDR

Compatible with both Dolby Vision and High Dynamic Range (HDR10*), the Hisense H9908 delivers the very best in colour accuracy and contrast. With enhancements to the darkest and lightest areas of the picture, HDR delivers an image that looks closer to life.
Google Assistant

The Hisense H9908 is instantly compatible with Google Home and comes with Google Assistant built into the TV, so it's always ready to answer questions, make recommendations and perform actions via web services. Just tap the voice control button to start controlling your display - play, pause or turn up the volume.
Ultra Motion Rate

Don't struggle to keep your eye on the ball - enjoy fast-paced sports and movies with Ultra Motion Rate technology. Ultra Motion Rate helps the H9908 keep the thrills coming by reducing judder during fast-moving scenes.
Bezel-less Design

Now this is neat: Hisense's H9908 has a "bezel-less' design that's sure to be as much of a conversation pieces as the picture. With a slim profile and razor-thin frame, images on the H9908 appear edge to edge, keeping you riveted by your favourite movies, sports and games.
Last edited by BeeBeeRFD on May 6th, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
20 replies
Dec 15, 2011
157 posts
163 upvotes
Calgary
I bought this TV last week. It arrived pretty quickly.

So far I think it’s amazing, the picture quality is mind blowing at this price point, especially the Dolby Vision. I’d give it a subjective 8/10 with the only detractors being some grey uniformity issues, aggressive local dimming and only 2 of the 4 HDMI ports being 60hz.

Android works well on it too.

At $898 I’m super happy with the purchase. I’d recommend it to anyone on a budget and still wanting a 65” with reasonably strong picture quality.
0F4D7DC7-7983-4566-B14A-AACE4C3309CF.jpeg
C3F02FE6-8072-4525-94DA-54A8EAECFCB0.jpeg
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1200 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder how it is compared to TCL series 6
Sep 3, 2008
183 posts
7 upvotes
Thanks OP! Picked one up and will give it a go
Apr 26, 2003
86 posts
11 upvotes
How are the viewing angles and brightness on this? I can't seem to find many reviews. Is this the same as the H9E Plus?

I called my local visions in Edmonton to see if they had any in stock. The rep said there wasn't any in Edmonton but they have 10 new ones coming in and he would sell one to me for the same price as the open box.

So I wonder if we should expect a sale on these everywhere soon?

Thanks Op!
Fox2
Apr 2, 2013
384 posts
277 upvotes
St. Catharines
fearlessfx wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 10:49 am
I bought this TV last week. It arrived pretty quickly.

So far I think it’s amazing, the picture quality is mind blowing at this price point, especially the Dolby Vision. I’d give it a subjective 8/10 with the only detractors being some grey uniformity issues, aggressive local dimming and only 2 of the 4 HDMI ports being 60hz.

Android works well on it too.

At $898 I’m super happy with the purchase. I’d recommend it to anyone on a budget and still wanting a 65” with reasonably strong picture quality.

0F4D7DC7-7983-4566-B14A-AACE4C3309CF.jpegC3F02FE6-8072-4525-94DA-54A8EAECFCB0.jpeg
How thick is it? Would you be able to take a picture from the side? Thanks so much!
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10372 posts
10499 upvotes
If you win the panel roulette, you'll do well with this monitor. Visions is okay on returns too.
Dec 15, 2011
157 posts
163 upvotes
Calgary
It’s essentially the same as the H9E Plus.

Some additional pictures including a side profile are in this review:

https://hdguru.com/review-hisense-h9e-p ... l-bargain/

The top is very thin, the base is a bit fatter. It’s aesthetically a really nice TV, but it’s quite heavy. Felt like at least 60 lbs to me.
Apr 26, 2003
86 posts
11 upvotes
Hmm.. I am really waffling on this. Our toddler just broke our plasma so I am not keen to go out and buy a high end TV right now knowing it could be at risk from more flying toys. Reviews on the H9E Plus say the set isn't bright enough to do HDR content properly. Not sure if I would care.

Looking at this or something like the Vizio M65 for $1000 at Costco. Maybe the LG 70UK6190 for $1090 at Costco for my aging eyes. It is a living room TV so it needs to be decent in a somewhat bright setting. There are also a couple of other options at Costco in this price range Samsung UN65NU7100 and UN65NU6900 for $990 and 65LGUK6300 for $940.

Apart from technical specs, is it better to go with a high end HiSense from Visions or a low end Samsung/LG from Costco?
Fox2
Aug 29, 2011
29 posts
50 upvotes
Edmonton
Purchased this for $1200 back in January and I have no complaints. Nice colour and very bright. Android TV is a nice feature as well, find myself watching a lot more Youtube vids.
Oct 14, 2010
36 posts
5 upvotes
They had no open box in stock at the Hamilton store but the guy sold me the one NIB for $925. Great looking TV. Had to play around with the settings a bit and for some reason the Xbox One X tells me the version of Dolby Vision the TV had is an older version not compatible with the One X. But I'm told the One X has a poor implementation of Dolby Vision.

It turns out this is a very common problem with the Xbox One Xs Dolby Vision implementation and not just with this TV. https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher ... 37a79a4539

Also, be prepared to get the hard sell on the in store warranty. Had to get through 2 hard sells on the warranty before the purchase was completed.
May 3, 2019
6 posts
2 upvotes
lesaboteur wrote:
May 4th, 2019 8:47 pm
They had no open box in stock at the Hamilton store but the guy sold me the one NIB for $925. Great looking TV. Had to play around with the settings a bit and for some reason the Xbox One X tells me the version of Dolby Vision the TV had is an older version not compatible with the One X. But I'm told the One X has a poor implementation of Dolby Vision.

It turns out this is a very common problem with the Xbox One Xs Dolby Vision implementation and not just with this TV. https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher ... 37a79a4539

Also, be prepared to get the hard sell on the in store warranty. Had to get through 2 hard sells on the warranty before the purchase was completed.
Yes, it is so annoying. They kept sellling the 2-year warranty and cellphone plans.
Apr 26, 2003
86 posts
11 upvotes
I decided to spend more and hope my kid learned his lesson. Will probably get something like the UN65NU8000 at Costco and get the extended warranty.

I dont think I will like Tizen but I still have my Shield TV.
Fox2
Oct 14, 2010
36 posts
5 upvotes
Fun fact for anyone who bought this: You may be annoyed that you have to go back to the home menu to switch inputs well you don't necessarily! Just hit the Google Assistant button on the remote and say "Switch to HDMI 1" etc etc. Or if you've given your input a custom name which you can do you can say "Switch to Xbox" for example. Its a really neat feature.