Visions Electronics

Huawei Wi-Fi AX3 Quad-core Wi-Fi 6 Plus - $99

[OP]
Nov 30, 2013
685 posts
687 upvotes

[Visions Electronics] Huawei Wi-Fi AX3 Quad-core Wi-Fi 6 Plus - $99

*** MOD WARNING ***

Off-topic stuff and threadcrapping will be warned once then infracted.

Vision have it instock now. Just ordered 2. Amazon is out of stock until Sep. It may come from a the same distribution centre though. Will update when it is shipped.

There will be downvotes for geo-politic reasons but if you are a value mind person (and you are not working on a secret goverment project ;) ), then this is the best in this price range.

Some features that other mesh-enabled router in the $100 price range doesn't have:
-Wifi 6 i.e. 801.11ax
-160mhz band
-WPA3

Get of two of these and you should be covered for most houses and yards.

It is hard to find reviews on these because our American brothers and sisters can't get these. But there are some real reviews here:
-Huawei WiFi AX3 Router Review: Stable And Easy To Use
-Review – Huawei WiFi AX3 Wireless Router (WS7200)

Updates:
  • Aug 25, 2021: Shipped within a day. So they definitely have stock.
  • Aug 26, 2021: Received the two units. Tested throughput is about 10% less than R8000 in AC mode. AX mode is better about 10%-15% throughput. Range is much better. It is a keeper.
  • Aug 27, 2021: staples.ca also has stock. You might be able to get a $10 coupon and make this $89+tax. Huawei WiFi AX3 Quad-Core Router with Wi-Fi 6 Plus - White
  • Sep 9, 2021: Staples with the $15 off $50 off coupon 84835 which would bring it down to $85. Thanks @radeonboy
  • Sep 10, 2021: Range seems to be better for most thread members but there is one negative report. Speed seems to be better for ax enabled devices as well compared to old ac setup.
Last edited by lesoir on Sep 10th, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Thread Summary
Upgrading your internet? Take a look at RFD Reviews' top picks for the best WiFi 6 routers!
158 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1670 posts
857 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Are you able to get 2.4Gbps connection with intel AX200 card instead of just 1.2Gbps?
[OP]
Nov 30, 2013
685 posts
687 upvotes
ericw wrote: Are you able to get 2.4Gbps connection with intel AX200 card instead of just 1.2Gbps?
I still have get the unit yet. I will test and report back. Sound like you are not getting both 5mhz channels setup and get only 1 5mhz stream.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2013
685 posts
687 upvotes
ericw wrote: Are you able to get 2.4Gbps connection with intel AX200 card instead of just 1.2Gbps?
Maybe you didn't have the 160mhz channel enabled?

"Many routers, such as the AmpliFi Alien, don’t even support the 160MHz channels, partly to avoid the need for DFS channels and the potential sporadic disconnections. In fact, you should expect your Wi-Fi 6 router to use the 80MHz channel width most of the time.

In this case, the speed will reduce accordingly by a factor of two. For example, via an 80MHz channel, a 2×2 Wi-Fi 6 connection now caps at 1.2Gbps or 600Mbps per stream, or about 50 percent faster than Wi-Fi 5’s 433Mbps."

Wi-Fi 6 Explained in Layman’s Terms: The Real Speed, Range, and More
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1670 posts
857 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have a TP link AX10 that only supports 80mhz now. I do get 95-100MB/s NAS transfer at 1.2Gbps. I wonder if it is worthwhile to upgrade.
Dec 24, 2011
74 posts
48 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I have it for a month now, bought from Newegg's deal at the same price. It is worth the money.

One single router covers my whole house (3k ft) and works pretty well, especially 2.4 G signal (5G a little weaker, predicable but not bad). I haven't found the need to setup a mesh now.

The drawback is its simple feature in configuration, not much things you can play around and change - I have got used to Openwrt and find it quite inconvenient.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2013
685 posts
687 upvotes
ericw wrote: I have a TP link AX10 that only supports 80mhz now. I do get 95-100MB/s NAS transfer at 1.2Gbps. I wonder if it is worthwhile to upgrade.
I see. My laptop has an AX-200NGW chip so I will be able to test it and report back.
Jan 9, 2016
146 posts
527 upvotes
GTA
A barrage of downvotes are coming but please know this is one of the best routers for the price. I got it couple weeks back to replace Rogers modem/router and things have improved considerably for me.
I have a cheap 75mbps Rogers internet but with this router, both me and my wife's Teams call run fine. Even with kids streaming HD content and multiple smart devices in home, we are getting a pretty reliable connection and it's day and night difference as compared to Rogers modem. Do your self a favor and buy this (or any other wi-fi 6) router!
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
3263 posts
1055 upvotes
That's hardly a technical endorsement - pretty much any router is better than the Rogers modem/router. And you only have 75 Mbps service so any wifi 5/6 router would have been good enough.
Googliya wrote: A barrage of downvotes are coming but please know this is one of the best routers for the price. I got it couple weeks back to replace Rogers modem/router and things have improved considerably for me.
I have a cheap 75mbps Rogers internet but with this router, both me and my wife's Teams call run fine. Even with kids streaming HD content and multiple smart devices in home, we are getting a pretty reliable connection and it's day and night difference as compared to Rogers modem. Do your self a favor and buy this (or any other wi-fi 6) router!
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
3263 posts
1055 upvotes
100MB/s x 8 bits = 800 Mbits/sec out of 1200Mbps (1.2 Gbps)

Why would you bother updating to questionable hardware?

ericw wrote: I have a TP link AX10 that only supports 80mhz now. I do get 95-100MB/s NAS transfer at 1.2Gbps. I wonder if it is worthwhile to upgrade.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
3263 posts
1055 upvotes
So this router is being hyped for wifi6 and the feedback is it's great for the 2.4 GHz freq.

Got it.
fastdown wrote: I have it for a month now, bought from Newegg's deal at the same price. It is worth the money.

One single router covers my whole house (3k ft) and works pretty well, especially 2.4 G signal (5G a little weaker, predicable but not bad). I haven't found the need to setup a mesh now.

The drawback is its simple feature in configuration, not much things you can play around and change - I have got used to Openwrt and find it quite inconvenient.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1670 posts
857 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mangoman wrote: 100MB/s x 8 bits = 800 Mbits/sec out of 1200Mbps (1.2 Gbps)

I only get that speed with line of sight. I wonder if 2.4Gbps would help for other situations.
Apr 5, 2018
340 posts
326 upvotes
My parents & inlaws (in another country) are having constant issues with their crappy stock modem+router combo. Will get this for them so that its a good solution for atleast 3-4 years.

EDIT - Amazon has it as the same price.
Last edited by signops on Aug 24th, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
15618 posts
3918 upvotes
Googliya wrote: A barrage of downvotes are coming but please know this is one of the best routers for the price. I got it couple weeks back to replace Rogers modem/router and things have improved considerably for me.
I have the white modem/router from Rogers (not the black modem). do you think this will have big improvement over the white modem?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Jan 9, 2016
146 posts
527 upvotes
GTA
kiasu wrote: I have the white modem/router from Rogers (not the black modem). do you think this will have big improvement over the white modem?
Yes, in my humble opinion it will have significant improvement. Reasons:
1. The white Rogers equipment is not capable of handling numerous connected devices
2. The new phones and laptops have WiFi 6 chips.

I don't claim to be very technical or knowledgeable, but for $100 bucks, these were some significant improvement IMHO.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2013
685 posts
687 upvotes
mangoman wrote: 100MB/s x 8 bits = 800 Mbits/sec out of 1200Mbps (1.2 Gbps)

Not sure why this is questionable. There are some geopolitical issue but if you really check the hardware quad core, 256mb ram, 16mb of rom, dual band MU-MIMO etc. It is pretty solid. Huawei spent billions of dollars on R&D. Not sure about TP but don't think it is a fair comparision.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
3263 posts
1055 upvotes
Sure it's a fair comparison. Poster already has the TP link and doesn't need to spend $100 again to see if he might or might not get an extra 10-20% speed boost on a NAS download?

I don't know how much either co. spent on R&D but what they spent it on does matter, say like facial recognition to identify a particular ethnic group - just putting that out there.
lesoir wrote: Not sure why this is questionable. There are some geopolitical issue but if you really check the hardware quad core, 256mb ram, 16mb of rom, dual band MU-MIMO etc. It is pretty solid. Huawei spent billions of dollars on R&D. Not sure about TP but don't think it is a fair comparision.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2013
685 posts
687 upvotes
mangoman wrote: So this router is being hyped for wifi6 and the feedback is it's great for the 2.4 GHz freq.

Got it.
5ghz always difficults at distance. If you have a dual channel wifi6 client, you should get both going at the same time though.
Aug 17, 2021
19 posts
17 upvotes
I just came to Canada from China and find that eletronics in Canada are so expensive. This device sells around 50 CAD in China and most of internet sevice companies provide this for free. Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 13, 2019
709 posts
1024 upvotes
So this is a big jump from Rogers stock? Or do you have another recommendation? I'm in a small apartment