Expired Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] JVC Double Din (apple car play)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2019 1:49 pm
[OP]
Aug 24, 2018
131 posts
98 upvotes
Langley BC

[Visions Electronics] JVC Double Din (apple car play)

Seems like a good deal if you only need carplay and not android auto. I have a sony in my wife's car and a kenwood in my truck and I love the fact that you can get android auto and apple car play into older vehicles.
Koodo $35 5 Gig deal (x2)
13 replies
Jul 9, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
Kind of a good deal.. but there is not android auto... Only apple car play. And the screen is resistive touch, so might be crappy in winter..
Mar 2, 2015
48 posts
66 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Is this the best value? I remember a Sony one a while back
[OP]
Aug 24, 2018
131 posts
98 upvotes
Langley BC
Like I said in the description a good price if you dont need android auto. Lots of family only own apple and have no intention of ever owning an android. I myself use android and my wife uses apple so I made sure when we bought out units they worked with both. Anyways I haven't seen a (namebrand) unit with CarPlay for this cheap before.....
[OP]
Aug 24, 2018
131 posts
98 upvotes
Langley BC
shawnie53 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 10:38 pm
Is this the best value? I remember a Sony one a while back
The Sony was the ax100 for $300 and yes that was a great deal(last Christmas it was on sale). I have the ax100 in my wife's car and a much more expensive kenwood in my truck. My kenwood has a lot more features but i really do like the user interface of the Sony.
Mar 2, 2015
48 posts
66 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Have there been others on sale? What’s the issue with the resistive vs capacitive screen? Thanks!
[OP]
Aug 24, 2018
131 posts
98 upvotes
Langley BC
I personally dont find them to be that different and I think in every day use for a screen that isn't your phone it really isn't a big deal... But if you really want to know just Google resistive vs capacitive screen and you can read all about it
Oct 5, 2004
949 posts
771 upvotes
Vancouver
I actually think capacitive design in cars is stupid. There is no tactile feedback and when you're bumping up and down in the car is frankly annoying to hit the interface you need. Resistive is better, but nothing beats a real button.
[OP]
Aug 24, 2018
131 posts
98 upvotes
Langley BC
It might just be me but for the most part I find the things I need to tap on my screen are big (using CarPlay or android auto) so Its really easy to push them. I also go days without touching my screen because i just use voice controls to do most things. Once again it's not like you are using these things for texting like your phone...
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2918 posts
1048 upvotes
Scarborough
So a few constructive info I would like to add to this thread.

1) This unit DOES NOT play cds, might be a big deal for some.
2) To check if your vehicle is compatible look up this model through the Crutchfield website, they have a neat little option to choose this.
3) The model higher up offers CarPlay/Android Auto
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3778 posts
1636 upvotes
Canada
shawnie53 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 8:27 am
Have there been others on sale? What’s the issue with the resistive vs capacitive screen? Thanks!
Resistive and capacitive refers to to how the screen detects touch. Change in resistance due to pressure vs change in capacitance due to touch with your skin. Biggest benefit of resistive in a car is that it'll work with gloves. Capacitive is usually more responsive. All smartphones in the last 7-10 years have been capacitive. I can't speak to this specific product, but you should try it in store. Resistive screens of olden days were frustrating to use but I've heard recent ones are much better.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3225 posts
2541 upvotes
The NORTH
fatestkid wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 1:00 pm
Resistive and capacitive refers to to how the screen detects touch. Change in resistance due to pressure vs change in capacitance due to touch with your skin. Biggest benefit of resistive in a car is that it'll work with gloves. Capacitive is usually more responsive. All smartphones in the last 7-10 years have been capacitive. I can't speak to this specific product, but you should try it in store. Resistive screens of olden days were frustrating to use but I've heard recent ones are much better.
The UConnect in my Grand Cherokee is a resistive and I live in Thunder Bay. Working with gloves in the winter is a must. LOL.

Someone else mentioned that resistive in winter has issues, maybe older tech but mine works just fine at -40'C.
Mar 2, 2015
48 posts
66 upvotes
Montreal, QC
So if not in a rush, is this the best bang for the buck when it comes to a CarPlay enabled unit?
[OP]
Aug 24, 2018
131 posts
98 upvotes
Langley BC
It is the cheapest so far but these units have been losing value as most new vehicles come with good units that will play CarPlay and Android auto. The older vehicles are disappearing and even if you wanted to get a double din as a replacement in some newer cars there just isn't a space for one as lots of manufacturers are going to that tablet sitting on top of the dash look.... If you are not in a hurry I would wait and see what deals are available on black Friday and boxing day...