• Sep 8th, 2019 10:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
1440 posts
1295 upvotes
EDMONTON

[Visions Electronics] KEF LS50 Speakers - Pair - $998

I think this ties the historical low for the KEF LS50's...?

They are considered among the greatest speakers ever made by many audiophiles (for the price). I ordered a pair to try out along with the Polk LSiM's that are also on sale. Two very different speakers. Just wanted to let people know about this deal as well. These should ideally be paired with a sub or two.

26 replies
Feb 23, 2014
778 posts
302 upvotes
There is an absolute shit ton of these on the used market. Many people get floored when listening to these in the showroom because of their detail, but don't have enough quality warm amplification to tone down the harshness. Hard to pair with electronics.

That said, yes, this is easily the best price you'll ever see for these puppies.
Feb 18, 2006
136 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
wish the LSX goes on sale too
Jul 31, 2015
960 posts
511 upvotes
AB
These have been on sale a lot for this price, I even bought the all black versions for the same price at one point

Eventuall sold, and bought the ls50 Wireless, as the interpreted and matched Dac and Amp sound incredible
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
1440 posts
1295 upvotes
EDMONTON
paul29m wrote:
Aug 4th, 2019 1:56 pm
There is an absolute shit ton of these on the used market. Many people get floored when listening to these in the showroom because of their detail, but don't have enough quality warm amplification to tone down the harshness. Hard to pair with electronics.

That said, yes, this is easily the best price you'll ever see for these puppies.
Makes sense, although I think you are referring to preamps and DACs since solid state amplification alone generally does not colour sound. I've also heard that they need 200 hours break in time according to KEF, so maybe people don't wait for them to calm down. I only have 15 days to decide whether to keep them.
U4LIFE wrote:
Aug 4th, 2019 2:04 pm
These have been on sale a lot for this price, I even bought the all black versions for the same price at one point

Eventuall sold, and bought the ls50 Wireless, as the interpreted and matched Dac and Amp sound incredible
I've heard the wireless are way better even, but of course the price is high. What is the best price the wireless have ever been at?
Mar 7, 2011
43 posts
23 upvotes
Ottawa
U4LIFE wrote:
Aug 4th, 2019 2:04 pm
]

I've heard the wireless are way better even, but of course the price is high. What is the best price the wireless have ever been at?
I heard the KEF50W when I was in a mall in Kuwait City. Incredible. I also would love to find them at less than the $3000 price I always see them.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12187 posts
3206 upvotes
Ottawa
baldclub wrote:
Aug 4th, 2019 3:42 pm
I heard the KEF50W when I was in a mall in Kuwait City. Incredible. I also would love to find them at less than the $3000 price I always see them.
visions-electronics-kef-ls50w-1999-2288184/#p30984767
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12187 posts
3206 upvotes
Ottawa
chatbox wrote:
Aug 4th, 2019 4:10 pm
I want to buy a pair today if I can get the LS50W at that price...

What's the likelihood of being able to get a deal from Visions in person today?
Might want to contact the OP in that thread and see if he has a contact.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Sep 29, 2014
115 posts
58 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I got these speakers a few months ago for the same price. It seems like they have been on sale for a few months now and $998 is the new regular price. They sound really good, the mid and high range is where this excel at. They don't have much bass so you need to pair it with a subwoofer if you listen to anything bass heavy. The speakers are pretty sensitive so you need a decent amplifier for them. I have a 60 watt class a/b amp, and feel like that is barely enough . I Personally would go for the wireless version if you can get it on sale, I've seen them for as low as $2,400. The wireless version comes with with a built in class a/b amp in each speaker rated for 200 watts.
Feb 9, 2013
31 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
Overall I prefer the R300 a lot more than the LS50w. The R300 do not really require a sub for a 3 way bookshelf. A little warmer/darker sounding. The LS50W isn't so far off from the R100.
Jun 4, 2019
22 posts
6 upvotes
Bought these 3 years ago at this price at visions. I think they were listed for 1200, and sales associate brought them down to 1000. Sales staff will always negotiate price no matter how good sale is there.
Jun 4, 2011
43 posts
34 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Perfect timing OP was searching for some studio monitors. I'm no audiophile but I'm always looking for high quality things for a decent price.

How would these compare to a JBL Control 29AV-1?? My gym uses these but they are expensive from BestBuy..

I'm looking to fill out a fitness studio that's 2000 sq feet... (For a friend).

Would these KEF speakers be appropriate and fill out that space?

Also looking to get the full system.....pre amp, dacs, receiver, the full shebang.

I need a sensei to teach this audionoob...

TIA

Edit:. Looking at getting 2-5 speakers to fill out a rectangular room But want the gurus advice as to what the best set up might be for something like that. Hanging from 20 foot ceilings.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12187 posts
3206 upvotes
Ottawa
MisterMister wrote:
Aug 4th, 2019 8:12 pm
How would these compare to a JBL Control 29AV-1?? My gym uses these but they are expensive from BestBuy..
These KEF are passive speakers, meaning you need to have an amplifier. They are also home use speakers, so wrong type of speaker for fitness studio.