Expired Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] KEF LS50 Speakers - Pair - $998

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2019 6:28 pm
Jun 27, 2011
283 posts
355 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
If anyone is looking for a pair of these in Titanium color and lives in Montreal. I saw an open box pair at Centre Hifi on Jean-Talon. I asked to see them, they were in perfect shape as far as i could tell. They were asking $698.
Maybe could be negotiated even further.
That was last Friday so not certain it’s still available. Better call first.

Store location
6925 Rue Jean-Talon E
Montréal QC H1S 1N2
Canada
Oct 20, 2011
73 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
I would agree. I tried LS50 with my old amp, and they sounded just terrible. No bass, instant fatigue. You have to find the "right" amp to tame these beasts.

I opted for the LS50W. They cost $1000 more, but way cheaper than upgrading amp, pre-amp, dac etc, plus you get wireless functions thrown in. It's a steal. The LS50W has built-in (obviously custom dsp tweaked to the kef uni-q drivers) 200w for mid/woofer, 30w for tweeter. No need to guess around with matching equipment. Compact, simple design - no amp/pre-amp/dac boxes lying around.

One word of caution. When I got the LS50W's home, they sounded worse than the LS50! I ran both together for comparison. I almost gave up. :)

Even though I never quite believed in breaking in speakers, I decided to just give it some time. The LS50W's blossomed over two weeks. Best $2000 I ever spent on audio equipment.

Yes, you can negotiate them down to $2000.
paul29m wrote: There is an absolute shit ton of these on the used market. Many people get floored when listening to these in the showroom because of their detail, but don't have enough quality warm amplification to tone down the harshness. Hard to pair with electronics.

That said, yes, this is easily the best price you'll ever see for these puppies.
Feb 9, 2013
50 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver
The speaker "suspension" does need to breakin' . The sound will flow vs brand new tight speakers. My R300 sounded barely acceptable but after time the muddy vocals transformed. This is definitely not a matter of "training" my ears. I was really unhappy with the R300 but the vocals had this congested sound. Once the suspension loosened up the speakers are very good for the price point.

The amplified LS50 cannot be tweaked. On board dac handles the digital files. Having passive LS50 at least you can change amplification and change the sound by using different dacs.
Oct 20, 2011
73 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, I agree with your break-in experience. The LS50W out of the box sounded totally confused, harsh, unfocused..., much worse than the broken-in LS50, and definitely not up to KEF imaging standard one would expect. But they slowly came into being over about 2 weeks - coherent, sweet, pin point imaging. And boy, they can go LOUD! I'm perfectly happy with the sound FOR THE AMOUNT I paid.

Which brings me to your second point about the R300. I don't want to hijack this LS50 thread into a comparison between R300 and LS50, but as someone who had played with both LS50 and LS50W, side by side, I just wanted to share my experience with the active versus passive LS50 speakers. I'm sure the R300 sounds great, and your point about the ls50w "built-in DAC cannot be replaced" is also true.

But a built-in DAC inside active speakers is a double edged sword. It offers KEF a chance to incorporate a built-in DSP to tweak the LS50 Uni-Q drivers (mid/woofer and tweeter individually) to the engineers' ears. And I think that's what makes the LS50W sound so different (better to me) from the passive version. BTW, the DSP is user customizable for easy speaker placement, and adjustable gain and crossover frequency for a sub.

The main points I want to drive home to anyone considering the LS50 speaker lineup is this....

For the price difference between the passive and active speakers, ask yourself - can you buy a correctly matched 230w amp, pre-amp, dac, dsp, and wireless functions (not the best, I don't use it)?

If money is no object, and you like to experiment with a whole bunch of external boxes, then go with passive speakers like the R300 (R3 is current version), or for that matter, the KEF Reference One (for $10k, I was blown away by those, both sound and price tag :)

In addition to price, do you prefer an audio system that's minimalist (just speakers) or maximalist (speakers plus a shelf full of boxes)?
notslow65 wrote: The speaker "suspension" does need to breakin' . The sound will flow vs brand new tight speakers. My R300 sounded barely acceptable but after time the muddy vocals transformed. This is definitely not a matter of "training" my ears. I was really unhappy with the R300 but the vocals had this congested sound. Once the suspension loosened up the speakers are very good for the price point.

The amplified LS50 cannot be tweaked. On board dac handles the digital files. Having passive LS50 at least you can change amplification and change the sound by using different dacs.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10329 posts
4807 upvotes
Great deal on some good speakers if you know what your buying.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
Buy first think later!
May 30, 2013
373 posts
296 upvotes
Markham
I need one LS50 for my centre channel. Anyone?
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
6694 posts
2440 upvotes
GTA
frank4162 wrote: Yes, I agree with your break-in experience. The LS50W out of the box sounded totally confused, harsh, unfocused..., much worse than the broken-in LS50, and definitely not up to KEF imaging standard one would expect. But they slowly came into being over about 2 weeks - coherent, sweet, pin point imaging. And boy, they can go LOUD! I'm perfectly happy with the sound FOR THE AMOUNT I paid.

Which brings me to your second point about the R300. I don't want to hijack this LS50 thread into a comparison between R300 and LS50, but as someone who had played with both LS50 and LS50W, side by side, I just wanted to share my experience with the active versus passive LS50 speakers. I'm sure the R300 sounds great, and your point about the ls50w "built-in DAC cannot be replaced" is also true.

But a built-in DAC inside active speakers is a double edged sword. It offers KEF a chance to incorporate a built-in DSP to tweak the LS50 Uni-Q drivers (mid/woofer and tweeter individually) to the engineers' ears. And I think that's what makes the LS50W sound so different (better to me) from the passive version. BTW, the DSP is user customizable for easy speaker placement, and adjustable gain and crossover frequency for a sub.

The main points I want to drive home to anyone considering the LS50 speaker lineup is this....

For the price difference between the passive and active speakers, ask yourself - can you buy a correctly matched 230w amp, pre-amp, dac, dsp, and wireless functions (not the best, I don't use it)?

If money is no object, and you like to experiment with a whole bunch of external boxes, then go with passive speakers like the R300 (R3 is current version), or for that matter, the KEF Reference One (for $10k, I was blown away by those, both sound and price tag :)

In addition to price, do you prefer an audio system that's minimalist (just speakers) or maximalist (speakers plus a shelf full of boxes)?
^Can't be better said than this.

I have a pair of LS50W and I can't say enough good things about it. The fact that I didn't want to spend the equal amount of money to build a setup that might or might not be better than the all-in-one, was the exact reason why I got the LS50W over LS50.
Be patient and you'll find them for $2200-2300 easily.

For those that are buying these LS50, make sure you know what to do and pair with to properly squeeze the beautiful sound out of them :)
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1121 posts
664 upvotes
AB
cy wrote: ^Can't be better said than this.

I have a pair of LS50W and I can't say enough good things about it. The fact that I didn't want to spend the equal amount of money to build a setup that might or might not be better than the all-in-one, was the exact reason why I got the LS50W over LS50.
Be patient and you'll find them for $2200-2300 easily.

For those that are buying these LS50, make sure you know what to do and pair with to properly squeeze the beautiful sound out of them :)
agree, I think the dac/amp integrated in the ls50w sounds great. And like the DSP to customize the sound to your environment. My only concern is reliability. With a seperate system if something goes bad.. can also just replace the separate piece, Dac, amp, speaker, whatever.

I cross my fingers that my ls50w's never have an issue as I have heard replacements or fix can be super pricy.
Oct 20, 2011
73 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Good point!

I've had mine for 2 years, so far no issue. Touch wood.

The LS50, and especially the LS50W which weigh a ton, are oddly shaped and really hard to pack. Make sure you keep the original box with the custom packaging foam, just in case you need to ship them.
U4LIFE wrote: agree, I think the dac/amp integrated in the ls50w sounds great. And like the DSP to customize the sound to your environment. My only concern is reliability. With a seperate system if something goes bad.. can also just replace the separate piece, Dac, amp, speaker, whatever.

I cross my fingers that my ls50w's never have an issue as I have heard replacements or fix can be super pricy.
Dec 16, 2010
737 posts
566 upvotes
Canada
chanc2 wrote: I need one LS50 for my centre channel. Anyone?
I know someone who has a brand new black on black one in Alberta he's looking to sell. I think he has it for $500?

Cheers
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2802 posts
3662 upvotes
Edmonton
Heads up to everyone that I was able to acquire a set of the very good looking matte Black Edition LS50s from Visions for $1,098. It was a very simple negotiation so probably replicable. They claim there is $100 difference in cost between versions.

Love them as I don't like gloss black and my wife felt the rosegold drivers were hard to decorate around.

Oct 10, 2004
839 posts
162 upvotes
Winnipeg
Reviving this thread because I want to know anyone here knows how low visions will go for a pair of R3's. Any input would be appreciated. These.
Apr 26, 2019
10 posts
5 upvotes
I recently was told from a salesman near montreal that he could bring the price down to 2150$ for the kef R3. I imagine visions could do similar
Feb 23, 2016
17 posts
8 upvotes
How much better are the R3's for 2150? Visions has the LS50 black edition for 998, sales ends today.
Apr 26, 2019
10 posts
5 upvotes
gsrchrisu wrote: How much better are the R3's for 2150? Visions has the LS50 black edition for 998, sales ends today.
A lot more bass, but you might achieve similar results with the ls50 + a good sub