• Aug 23rd, 2019 7:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2874 posts
3738 upvotes
Edmonton

[Visions Electronics] KEF Q150 pair + M500 Headphones - $398

This is a pretty good deal for someone looking to get into some audio gear at a reasonable price. Good speakers and good headphones with high quality build.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker-r ... 50-review/

https://www.whathifi.com/us/kef/m500/review

22 replies
Mar 9, 2009
266 posts
334 upvotes
Winnipeg
I think they often sell those headphones at a heavy discount there, but the price for the speakers alone is quite good, and the bonus of the headphones is really nice. I'll be sleeping on the couch if I pick these up right now, but a good deal. Thanks OP!
Jan 29, 2015
82 posts
44 upvotes
Markham, ON
Have several headphones, but those speakers are intriguing....
Jan 29, 2015
82 posts
44 upvotes
Markham, ON
Can anyone attest to their sound quality? I've had my eye on Elac Debut 2.0 b6.2's. Are these better?
Nov 12, 2012
110 posts
58 upvotes
North York
mskacey wrote: Can anyone attest to their sound quality? I've had my eye on Elac Debut 2.0 b6.2's. Are these better?
I bought both the Elac b6.2 and the KEF Q150s to demo at home; mostly for music but occasionally home theatre.
Opted to stick with the KEFs as they had more satisfying bass (actually had to dial it down a bit). There were some complaints online about them being too bright, but that didn't seem to be a problem at least where I have it set up.
Oct 14, 2012
388 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
KEF speakers are great. Probably one of the top tier brands imo. I have the "R" series which are probably going to be keepers for a long long time.
idbaboo wrote: I bought both the Elac b6.2 and the KEF Q150s to demo at home; mostly for music but occasionally home theatre.
Opted to stick with the KEFs as they had more satisfying bass (actually had to dial it down a bit). There were some complaints online about them being too bright, but that didn't seem to be a problem at least where I have it set up.
I've never heard of KEFs being bright. You're not mixing it with Klipsch right? Klipsch are very bright. KEF is known for being very neutral or flat.
Nov 12, 2012
110 posts
58 upvotes
North York
CoastalWaves wrote:
I've never heard of KEFs being bright. You're not mixing it with Klipsch right? Klipsch are very bright. KEF is known for being very neutral or flat.
No, not mixing it up with Klipsch. Q100 has lots of complaints of brightness, Q150 you'll see it occasionally.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7538 posts
5010 upvotes
Canada
Would these speakers be a good upgrade from Pioneer Fs52 Towers?

@warpdrive
Aug 24, 2003
77 posts
7 upvotes
Seems like a decent price with the added headphone bonus. The KEF Q150s were $400 several weeks ago without the headphones. YMMV, but I was able to negotiate the pair down $350 in store. In the end, I didn’t purchase the speakers because when I went to pay they didn’t have any in-store stock. I ended up purchasing a different set of bookshelves elsewhere, but the Q150s sounded great..
Apr 27, 2011
438 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
Winnipegian wrote: I think they often sell those headphones at a heavy discount there, but the price for the speakers alone is quite good, and the bonus of the headphones is really nice. I'll be sleeping on the couch if I pick these up right now, but a good deal. Thanks OP!
Order a better couch first.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1441 posts
1151 upvotes
I have the Q150's in the rear and Q350's in the front. Fantastic speakers.

I bough a Q650c but it does not fit. Anyone have a Q200c or R200c they want to sell?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2874 posts
3738 upvotes
Edmonton
Yes, KEFs are great. I have LS50 Black Edition, if anyone is looking at a higher price point you can negotiate Visions staff to $1100 on those.
Oct 25, 2001
577 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
Would these be suitable as front L and R channels in a 5.1 for a medium (2300 cubic ft) space? Or more as surrounds?
Oct 29, 2016
363 posts
177 upvotes
The digital trends review doesn't seem that well written but I'm sure the speakers are pretty decent. I have the KEF egg speakers with a similar design and they're fantastic for the size.

I had these headphones and while they sound good and are rather good looking for headphones I sold them for $100 (what I paid). They werent that comfortable and didn't sound nearly as good as m40x with a nice equalization applied to them such as oratory1990's Harman calibrated response.
Oct 29, 2016
363 posts
177 upvotes
Miguel Sánchez wrote: Would these be suitable as front L and R channels in a 5.1 for a medium (2300 cubic ft) space? Or more as surrounds?
They should handle the duties of your mains as well as surrounds unless you want to listen very loud.