• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2022 2:14 pm
[OP]
Nov 24, 2017
98 posts
129 upvotes
Lower Mainland, BC

[Visions Electronics] LG 55" 2021 C1 4K HDR OLED Smart TV - $1615

My 10 year old Samsung PN51D550 popped and died on me last night, which was the perfect excuse to finally upgrade to an OLED. Visions, Best Buy, and Costco all have the LG OLED C1 (OLED55C1AUB) listed for ~$1700. I went to Visions and price matched it down to $1615 before tax and was offered a price drop down to $1555 if I get the $350 5 year extended warranty.

Is the extended warranty worth it? I realize that burn-in isn't covered anyway, so I'd only be getting it in case something else goes wrong with it. Further, I realize that you get the warranty as in-store credit if you don't use it, but supposedly you can only put the refunded warranty toward 50% of the purchase price of the item you're buying.
38 replies
Oct 13, 2017
71 posts
57 upvotes
If you buy at Costco and get 5 year warranty: 1697 + 100 = 1797 pre-tax

If you buy at Visions and get 5 year warranty: 1555 + 350 = 1905 pre-tax

Costco doesn't do the store credit thing though.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8990 posts
16244 upvotes
Montreal
$1,500 is a lot of money to risk without an extra warranty. Bad luck happens.
Even more if you are a gamer because of burn-ins.

Tell Visions that $350 extra for a 5-year warranty is way too much since Costco is about $100.

Best Buy warranty covers burn-ins but it's also expensive. Check it out.

Someone reported that when they mentioned to Best Buy that Costco's warranty was only about $100, they knocked out $400 from the $500 warranty just like that!

Please tell me how your PN51D550 died, I have a 10 year old PN59D550 and I'm curious as to HOW it will happen. Was it sudden or you could see it coming? TIA.
Nov 3, 2020
61 posts
65 upvotes
Temporel wrote: $1,500 is a lot of money to risk without an extra warranty. Bad luck happens.

Tell Visions that $350 extra for a 5-year warranty is way too much since Costco is about $100.

Someone reported that when they mentioned to Best Buy that Costco's warranty was only about $100, they knocked out $400 from the $500 warranty just like that!

Please tell me how your PN51D550 died, I have a 10 year old PN59D550 and I'm curious as to HOW it will happen. Was it sudden or you could see it coming? TIA.
This also made me nervous as I’m pretty sure my 51” Samsung plasma is about that old…maybe that will give me the motivation to finish my home theatre until a good living room replacement TV deal comes along.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
3719 posts
2633 upvotes
EDMONTON
Temporel wrote: $1,500 is a lot of money to risk without an extra warranty. Bad luck happens.

I bought the 65" version on Amazon. Without warranty.

And not a single **** was given. Y'all worry about too much shit on these forums.
teksavvy sucks
Feb 27, 2011
248 posts
478 upvotes
Don't let people who hate OLED displays fear-monger about burn-in which hasn't been a valid concern in years unless you plan to watch CP24 or CNN on it 24/7.

Aug 13, 2020
743 posts
2659 upvotes
umadbrah wrote: I bought the 65" version on Amazon. Without warranty.

And not a single **** was given. Y'all worry about too much shit on these forums.
What a weird thing to be a phony tough guy about. It makes a lot of sense to protect something you’re spending thousands of dollars on.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8990 posts
16244 upvotes
Montreal
Mlj223 wrote: What a weird thing to be a phony tough guy about. It makes a lot of sense to protect something you’re spending thousands of dollars on.
He'll mature when his TV croaks in year #3 or his $1,000 Samsung washer electronic panel decides to quit in year #4...
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
4872 posts
4544 upvotes
No Bum Deals
umadbrah wrote: I bought the 65" version on Amazon. Without warranty.

Whenever I decide to buy warranty on a high value product, it doesn't break.
No warranty? Yup, kaputsville.
I need ammunition, not a ride.

©Zelensky 2022
Dec 24, 2012
762 posts
1109 upvotes
Terrebonne
Temporel wrote: He'll mature when his TV croaks in year #3 or his $1,000 Samsung washer electronic panel decides to quit in year #4...
It's been demonstrated often, it's cheaper to fix/replace what goes wrong then to buy the extended warranties. On average.

I personally choose to have an emergency fund and not spend on extended warranties. I also have an extended warranty from my credit card, but getting it to pay out can be tough...
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
3719 posts
2633 upvotes
EDMONTON
Mlj223 wrote: What a weird thing to be a phony tough guy about. It makes a lot of sense to protect something you’re spending thousands of dollars on.
If I get burn ins I get burn ins. Big effin deal. I bet Some of you would cry balls just getting a scratch on your car or go into full anxiety panic over stupid shit all this panic about burnins and a single dead pixel or not having the "latest panel". It's so funny seeing some of you scramble to return products with the most miniscule flaw. It's really pathetic.

Thinking of a TV as a "big investment" is hilarious. It's entertainment. Enjoy it. By the time the tv breaks down you'd have upgraded to a better set anyways.
Last edited by umadbrah on Jan 23rd, 2022 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
teksavvy sucks
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23126 posts
28650 upvotes
Burn-in is real, it's progressive, and I don't care.

OLED is too sexy a technology to pass up.

I'd rather churn and burn panels over a few years than go back to lesser screens. My eyes have no eye strain using OLED as PC Monitor screens, which I did long before Linus considered it.

Burn-in is becoming a lesser problem, but it's still here, and I'm fine with it.
Oct 4, 2015
372 posts
363 upvotes
Mississauga
Gotta love how they decrease the price of the TV and NOT the warranty if you get the 5 year extended warranty.
It's so that if something goes wrong and the issue can not be fixed, they pay out less money.

That being said, not much of a deal as this pricing has been available since last November and never really expired.
multiple-retailers-lg-c1-48-1499-55-169 ... d-2499984/

Visions will do price adjustment and beat pricing at any other retailer ALWAYS.

On a side note:
IMO extended warranty isnt really that needed, I usually get by with the 1 year warranty + 1 year extended credit card warranty (some cards have 2 years)
If you stare long enough at a lurker, the lurker stares back at you.

Public Mobile 4GB/$40 -> Koodo (6GB+2GB)/$40 -> Telus 30GB/$35
Aug 13, 2020
743 posts
2659 upvotes
umadbrah wrote: If I get burn ins I get burn ins. Big effin deal. I bet Some of you would cry balls just getting a scratch on your car or go into full anxiety panic over stupid shit all this panic about burnins and a single dead pixel or not having the "latest panel". It's so funny seeing some of you scramble to return products with the most miniscule flaw. It's really pathetic.

Thinking of a TV as a "big investment" is hilarious. It's entertainment. Enjoy it. By the time the tv breaks down you'd have upgraded to a better set anyways.
You edited this 3 times lmfao?
Jul 9, 2019
656 posts
2524 upvotes
kay103kay wrote: Gotta love how they decrease the price of the TV and NOT the warranty if you get the 5 year extended warranty.
It's so that if something goes wrong and the issue can not be fixed, they pay out less money.
You cannot be farther from truth.

Reason is not one you mentioned.

I used to work at BestBuy and it was same there, drop the price from item but not the Geek Squad warranty. You know why?

Because tricksters and scamsters used to return extended warranty at full price within product return time window and pocket the discount given on product. So store goes in loss.

Most retail products do NOT have great margin esp TVs, all money they make is with extended protection plans.

Do your research before you make assumptions.
Jul 9, 2019
656 posts
2524 upvotes
I bought a 48” C1 a week ago at $1498 as 55 is too big for monitor and console gaming in small room, but I went with LG Canada’s own extended warranty.