• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 2:23 pm
[OP]
Aug 15, 2017
65 posts
123 upvotes

[Visions Electronics] Monster GLO2 outdoor bluetooth speaker for sale $98

Hi All,

I was looking for a reliable outdoor weatherproof Bluetooth speaker and heard very good reviews about this one. It is a lantern style with 14 hours battery life and can be wirelessly hooked with 8 other monster speakers at the same time for a larger backyard.

Currently retails for $170 on amazon.

Regular price-$300
Sale price-$98
Images
  • Capture.JPG
13 replies
Dec 11, 2008
280 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
This is based on old Bluetooth technology. It only supports Bluetooth 3.0.
Apr 13, 2010
143 posts
226 upvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: This is based on old Bluetooth technology. It only supports Bluetooth 3.0.
Assuming this is legitimately a good sale price, is it really worth paying double for a newer Bluetooth version, or newer codec support?

I personally think the quality of this deal hinges on whether it's a good speaker or not, not on which codecs or protocol it supports. I don't need any more speakers, so I won't look around for reviews, but it would be helpful if someone else does. Especially comparing it to the best speakers in the category and price point. I wouldn't buy a Monster product without researching carefully, though, what with all the overpriced cables.
Dec 18, 2005
845 posts
905 upvotes
Montreal
I have one of these. The sound is good, though I've never used it at full volume as it's really loud and I don't want to disturb the neighbours. The app is a little weird, but it works to both connect to the device and control the colour of the lights. I got it at Costco on clearance for about 70$, if memory serves. I think that was a final clearance price as I've not seen them back this year. Pharmaprix (SDM) close to my place also had them on sale for 99$, but the price has gone back up to 150$. I was thinking of getting a second one to create a linked system.
Jul 3, 2008
767 posts
164 upvotes
boisbriand
Got this speaker for 70$ at costco and its amazing quality for the price I paid. Its very loud and even the bass is nice for such a small speaker setup!

1 of the battery died and it looks like a PITA to find except on aliexpress and similiar (3,7V 2600 mAh 18650)
Mar 23, 2017
174 posts
119 upvotes
S1 wrote: Assuming this is legitimately a good sale price, is it really worth paying double for a newer Bluetooth version, or newer codec support?

I personally think the quality of this deal hinges on whether it's a good speaker or not, not on which codecs or protocol it supports. I don't need any more speakers, so I won't look around for reviews, but it would be helpful if someone else does. Especially comparing it to the best speakers in the category and price point. I wouldn't buy a Monster product without researching carefully, though, what with all the overpriced cables.
Older Bluetooth specs sound like crap due to compression, it is absolutely worth it to get at least Bluetooth 4.2 or higher if you care about fidelity. Not to mention the lower power consumption.
Sep 8, 2014
544 posts
1696 upvotes
StEeElNuTz wrote: Got this speaker for 70$ at costco and its amazing quality for the price I paid. Its very loud and even the bass is nice for such a small speaker setup!

1 of the battery died and it looks like a PITA to find except on aliexpress and similiar (3,7V 2600 mAh 18650)
These are very standard batteries. Any vape shop should have them for around $10. Pretty much all vapes use these batteries, but then you will have to enter a vape shop.
Dec 11, 2008
280 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
S1 wrote: Assuming this is legitimately a good sale price, is it really worth paying double for a newer Bluetooth version, or newer codec support?

I can't find the review but I remember reading how this was an OK speaker with limited range.
When I first saw this months ago, I considered buying it but the reviews weren't that great, when comparing it against other speakers.
Sep 24, 2018
102 posts
185 upvotes
I had previously purchased one of these from Costco for about 100. Used it twice then the speaker on one side died out. Luckily I could return.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
20983 posts
22938 upvotes
Toronto
Friends have one at their vacation property. Kids like it for the light show at night around the campfire. Sound is decent. No issues.
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6280 posts
962 upvotes
I use a Google Home in my backyard whenever I want music. Easy enough to plug in and play streaming music. I was considering this last year but decided to use Google Home instead. Not weatherproof and no battery but for backyard use, it’s great. No need to even use a phone, just tell it to play music.
Oct 28, 2015
557 posts
142 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
Received the unit, from what I see, only one side has speakers(I can only spot two speakers through the mesh, one big and one small, can someone confirm?) the other side blank. The boom(bass) woofer (not sure where it is located) is pretty strong for such small unit, though the speaker quality is average.

Very loud for outdoor.

Not yet test whether it's weather proof (waiting for raining moment)

Misadvertisement: it doesn't come with FM radio or any sort of radio, despite Visions electronics web says so.

ETA: is it possible to buy another and make the system stereo? This system can pair up to 7 speakers. can someone confirm? thanks