Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Visions Electronics

Motorola Talkabout T600 Waterproof (IP67 rated) Two-Way Radio - $138 (or price match with BB)

Jul 19, 2006
625 posts
299 upvotes

[Visions Electronics] Motorola Talkabout T600 Waterproof (IP67 rated) Two-Way Radio - $138 (or price match with BB)

I've been looking a a pair of decent walkie-talkies for an upcoming camping trip and decided to got for either T600 or T800 series. I've been leaning more towards the T600 since they're water proof (float if dropped into water). Best Buy and most of other retainers sell them for $169.99, while Visions advertises them for $138. Walked into Best Buy yesterday afternoon (Winston Churchil/Argentia) and got an instant, no-questions-asked price-match. Tested them this morning (working from the basement with kids at the playground) - awesome reception and sound quality.

Since it's basically middle of summer, I thought I'd share this (what I believe) pretty decent deal. Hoping someone is in the same boat as me and will find it useful ;) Enjoy!
60 replies
Jan 20, 2019
534 posts
975 upvotes
I tried looking at the specs but couldn't find it - do these do VHF as well as land frequencies?
Dec 23, 2010
45 posts
18 upvotes
Ottawa
Bestbuy online won't price match. Apparently they don't price match sales anymore.
Jul 19, 2006
625 posts
299 upvotes
rfdfan75 wrote: I tried looking at the specs but couldn't find it - do these do VHF as well as land frequencies?
Doesn't seem like...

From T600 data sheet:
"FRS/GMRS 462 - 467 MHz in the Ultra High Frequency (UHF) Band"
Mar 3, 2011
131 posts
17 upvotes
How do they compare to the ones at Costco - ? I was going to get those. T473
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4048 posts
8918 upvotes
Vancouver
Dont bother with any of this nonsense from bubble packed walkies

Buy 2 x baofeng uv5r for like $60

And do all the same frequencies + a lot more

Way more capability for way cheaper.

Ive programmed weather and all the road resource channels as well which you would not be able to do with these
Last edited by danascully on Jul 21st, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4048 posts
8918 upvotes
Vancouver
rfdfan75 wrote: I tried looking at the specs but couldn't find it - do these do VHF as well as land frequencies?
The only thing it does is frs + gmrs and wx

Nothing else, besides the wx youll get the same from any $20 walkie from big box stores
Jul 19, 2006
625 posts
299 upvotes
I suppose the cheaper (and better) Baofeng uv5r are aimed at a bit different market... Since these will be used by my kids and me somewhere on a beach or a dock, I still believe they are more suitable (although more expensive) for my purpose. I cannot picture how my kids would handle the Baofengs ;)

The Costco T473s seem like a good deal too (since it's a 3-pack and they come with charging base). I specifically was looking for the water proof aspect of these though, thus the reason for going with T600.

Peace ;)
Oct 30, 2007
52 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I would do a good evaluation of these units before ordering them. I grew up using Motorola radios (the police/fire/commercial grade ones) and bought a few generations of their consumer grade ones once I had kids - but the sound quality, volume, etc., was never very good. I believe Motorola has just licenced their name for the consumer grade ones.

The core issue was being able to understand the message in often loud environments. The Motorola ones just didn't cut it.

Last time I bought a set (this was 5 years ago, model: CXR925), I went with Cobra MicroTalk and they were much better. YMMV.
Jul 19, 2006
625 posts
299 upvotes
mcain wrote: I would do a good evaluation of these units before ordering them. I grew up using Motorola radios (the police/fire/commercial grade ones) and bought a few generations of their consumer grade ones once I had kids - but the sound quality, volume, etc., was never very good. I believe Motorola has just licenced their name for the consumer grade ones.

The core issue was being able to understand the message in often loud environments. The Motorola ones just didn't cut it.

Last time I bought a set (this was 5 years ago, model: CXR925), I went with Cobra MicroTalk and they were much better. YMMV.
Funny you should say this... I actually first ordered Cobra for pick-up yesterday, but then went for the T600's once I found this "deal". The Cobras were around $80 but they'd end up on the bottom of the lake if they slipped out while on a canoe ;) I honestly have no benchmark when it comes to sound quality, but from this morning test with the kids, I'd say they're clear and loud enough...

I'll real-life test them a week from now. Saving the original box and receipt just in case ;)

Thanks for all the good feedback guys!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11277 upvotes
No, these are FRS, no VHF.

And despite marketing claims, they would have the same range as pretty much any FRS radio on the market.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11277 upvotes
alander wrote: I suppose the cheaper (and better) Baofeng uv5r are aimed at a bit different market... Since these will be used by my kids and me somewhere on a beach or a dock, I still believe they are more suitable (although more expensive) for my purpose. I cannot picture how my kids would handle the Baofengs ;)

The Costco T473s seem like a good deal too (since it's a 3-pack and they come with charging base). I specifically was looking for the water proof aspect of these though, thus the reason for going with T600.

Peace ;)
The UV5R is not legal for non HAMs to transmit on. These FRS radios are. Apples and oranges.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2591 posts
638 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Costco T473 is a good set if you don’t care about lcd screen.
Oct 30, 2019
872 posts
1805 upvotes
Fraser Valley
I bought Midland GXT1000VP4 in the US. These things got crazy range.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10713 upvotes
Hamilton
danascully wrote: Dont bother with any of this nonsense from bubble packed walkies

Buy 2 x baofeng uv5r for like $60

And do all the same frequencies + a lot more

Way more capability for way cheaper.

Ive programmed weather and all the road resource channels as well which you would not be able to do with these
Bro… idk why but I want this!?!?!?
hated on but respected.
Banned
Oct 28, 2015
2166 posts
1229 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
yao416 wrote: Bro… idk why but I want this!?!?!?
if you asked yourself this question , probably you don't need a 2 way radio at all.... myself for eg. was a radio junker in my teenager years, but now a middle aged man, my Baofeng had been only served the purpose of finding out where my parents are in Costco supermarket, and this is the only use of it.... no more outdoorsies, hiking craps as you aged....
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10713 upvotes
Hamilton
xuanzh wrote: if you asked yourself this question , probably you don't need a 2 way radio at all.... myself for eg. was a radio junker in my teenager years, but now a middle aged man, my Baofeng had been only served the purpose of finding out where my parents are in Costco supermarket, and this is the only use of it.... no more outdoorsies, hiking craps as you aged....
I’m watching some YouTube videos on this thing right now…

I’d love to listen to some police scanners haha
hated on but respected.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
2135 posts
1441 upvotes
so back to what the OP actually wants/needs which is pretty similar to what I want as well. I want something for kids/adults, so we can take it and communicate outdoors, whether that be hiking, kayaking, boating, road trips, etc.

Something relatively waterproof and good quality... other than the motorola in the post, anything else fit that description that one would recommend?
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11277 upvotes
yao416 wrote: I’m watching some YouTube videos on this thing right now…

I’d love to listen to some police scanners haha
In most larger built up areas the Police comms are all encrypted these days, nothing to hear in the clear anymore.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)