• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 8:41 pm
[OP]
Sep 19, 2017
913 posts
729 upvotes
Moncton

[Visions Electronics] Motorola Z3 Play $198 *Might be open box or demo*

edit: I was misreading the invoice from last december... that deal was $172 all-in so this one @ $200 is tepid/warm at best.

This was a super deal @ $299 last December. The fact that it might be open box or demo and that it's almost a year later takes a bit of the shine off of this deal when compared to that one, but it's $100 cheaper.

Not a flagship phone by any means, but it's a 4/32GB unit with a 6" Full HD Super AMOLED screen that's built well and feels like a flagship. I bought one for my better half during the last sale and we haven't had any complaints about connections to the Bellus network in Atlantic Canada.
Last edited by sswilson on Sep 29th, 2020 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
10 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12298 posts
20073 upvotes
I believe these are stuck on Android 9 with no updates to 10 ? Otherwise pretty solid value if you don’t mind the non updated OS
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6658 posts
3642 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
$299 last December?????

Hate to say it, but you were ripped off had you bought one back then from Visions.

Most of us were getting them for closer to $125 all-in and delivered (late) plus a free accessory of our choice (4K 360 Camera, Battery Extender, etc.).

That was new and directly from Motorola.

Time Machine required for that deal though.

Ahh....yes.....December and January in Canada.....remember those days folks?????

I think we'd ALL like a Time Machine for that. Winking Face
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1395 posts
501 upvotes
Got this for $150 with the speaker mod last December. There was a long thread for it. Great value for <$200.

motorola-com-motorola-moto-z3-play-xt19 ... 9-2341260/

Two things though.

1. You will not be getting Android 10. Been waiting since April for it but it was officially cancelled by Lenovo. You will be stuck in 9 if that matters for you.
2. When tethering, my device gets super hot (45C). Don't know whether it's specific to my phone or it's a general problem.
[OP]
Sep 19, 2017
913 posts
729 upvotes
Moncton
Woah! wrote: $299 last December?????

Hate to say it, but you were ripped off had you bought one back then from Visions.

Most of us were getting them for closer to $125 all-in and delivered (late) plus a free accessory of our choice (4K 360 Camera, Battery Extender, etc.).

That was new and directly from Motorola.

Time Machine required for that deal though.

Ahh....yes.....December and January in Canada.....remember those days folks?????

I think we'd ALL like a Time Machine for that. Winking Face
tkddad wrote: Got this for $150 with the speaker mod last December. There was a long thread for it. Great value for <$200.

motorola-com-motorola-moto-z3-play-xt19 ... 9-2341260/

Two things though.

1. You will not be getting Android 10. Been waiting since April for it but it was officially cancelled by Lenovo. You will be stuck in 9 if that matters for you.
2. When tethering, my device gets super hot (45C). Don't know whether it's specific to my phone or it's a general problem.
Yeah, I bought one at that price as well... I was just reading the invoice wrong to see what I paid (it's formatted weirdly with a $299 price, tax on that price, but then a $172 discount after taxes applied bringing it down to $172.49 all in).

I'll update the OP that it's not much of a deal when compared to that one. :)
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21101 posts
15052 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sswilson wrote: This was a super deal @ $299 last December. The fact that it might be open box or demo and that it's almost a year later takes a bit of the shine off of this deal when compared to that one, but it's $100 cheaper.
For the record, it was a much better deal at Christmas at $150 and a free accessory. But that was then and this is now. It's still a decent deal at $200.

Incidentally there's a long thread on the Z3P from back then that contains useful info about accessories(*), setup, etc. for people who buy one under the Visions deal: [Motorola.com] Motorola Moto Z3 Play XT1929-4 & FREE moto stereo speaker @ $149.99
Not a flagship phone by any means, but it's a 4/32GB unit with a 6" Full HD Super AMOLED screen that's built well and feels like a flagship. I bought one for my better half during the last sale and we haven't had any complaints about connections to the Bellus network in Atlantic Canada.
Perfectly serviceable for a mid-range phone. I have had no issues with mine, although it's neither as fast as a flagship nor anywhere close to the price of one.
stephroll wrote: I believe these are stuck on Android 9 with no updates to 10 ? Otherwise pretty solid value if you don’t mind the non updated OS
That seems to be the case. Nevertheless there was a security update as recently as August.

That said, what's in Android 10 that's so important for most people buying a mid-range phone? (System-wide dark mode option is the only thing I miss from Android 10.)

(*) The back case is glass and is slippery. You WILL want to buy a bumper cover case.
Last edited by bylo on Sep 29th, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1577 posts
664 upvotes
Anybody using one with Shaw Mobile? Might get one for one of the kids, but I don't see it on the compatibility list.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13633 posts
3828 upvotes
VANCOUVER
zero64 wrote: Anybody using one with Shaw Mobile? Might get one for one of the kids, but I don't see it on the compatibility list.
It's got all the requisite frequency bands for sure. The only uncertainty is wi-fi or VOLTE calling.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2347 posts
321 upvotes
Burnaby
zero64 wrote: Anybody using one with Shaw Mobile? Might get one for one of the kids, but I don't see it on the compatibility list.
accord the CSR feedback, the Z3 is not full compatible with freedom mobile (SHAW). I just use the Z3 play for several months, it can not connect network under 3G. and it's very slow !!!
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1577 posts
664 upvotes
tomatoonline wrote: accord the CSR feedback, the Z3 is not full compatible with freedom mobile (SHAW). I just use the Z3 play for several months, it can not connect network under 3G. and it's very slow !!!
Thanks, guess I'll wait for something that's officially supported. No sense messing around with a phone that Shaw doesn't support when BF is around the corner.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13633 posts
3828 upvotes
VANCOUVER
tomatoonline wrote: accord the CSR feedback, the Z3 is not full compatible with freedom mobile (SHAW). I just use the Z3 play for several months, it can not connect network under 3G. and it's very slow !!!
You sure you've checked all the settings on the phone? Why would you be connecting under 3G? It's got the all-important LTE bands 4, 13, 66, 71. I'm using a Sony XA1 and XA2 which does not have Band 71, and they work just fine. The Sonys are also not officially endorsed by Shaw.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)