Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] NAD Viso HP50 HiFi Headphones - $88 HP20 - $48 - In store pickup only

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2020 7:26 pm
[OP]
Nov 30, 2013
267 posts
192 upvotes

[Visions Electronics] NAD Viso HP50 HiFi Headphones - $88 HP20 - $48 - In store pickup only

Visions has the HP50 and HP20 headphones on sale. These are serious audiophile headphones. I would highly recommend them if you are into neutral sound (not the Beats bassy type).

There is also a $5 discount on store pickup.

Words from the creator (this guy is a real deal):

Comparative review with other $300 headphones (oppo pm3, psb m4u 2, ath msr7):

Updated: price for the HP50 is now $108. Still pretty good
Last edited by lesoir on Jan 4th, 2020 9:25 am, edited 6 times in total.
18 replies
Dec 12, 2017
17 posts
17 upvotes
I bought a pair of these during the black friday sale for $108 so $88 is a great deal. Just a heads up my first pair were broken at the swivel so maybe check before you leave the store.

I agree these have great sound quality and are quite comfortable for me but the cable is only 4 feet however it is detachable so it can be replaced. Not the sturdiest build but a good set for this price for sure.
Dec 6, 2012
44 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP!
Got white HP50. Price is actually $83 (plus tax), since they deduct $5 for instore pickup.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2013
267 posts
192 upvotes
Added the interview of the creator:

This guy is real audio engineer. Sound like a sale man of course but there is some interesting info there.
Oct 15, 2015
62 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What a deal! If I didn't already own these and my m50s I would buy these again. Maybe I'll get them as a gift for someone. Upvote!
[OP]
Nov 30, 2013
267 posts
192 upvotes
Added comparative review with other $300 headphones:

Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1369 posts
219 upvotes
$88 for HP50 seems good, however, not sure if it is truly in the same league of good under $300 headphones, e.g. HD600, HD6XX, DT-770 Pro or even M50x.
Did not hear that anyone switched from these in favour of HP50...
A positive thing that NAD's brand HQs are here in Ontario!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12713 posts
3765 upvotes
Ottawa
Lexi wrote: HP50 price seems good, however, not sure if it is truly in the same league of good under $300 headphones, e.g. HD600, HD6XX, DT-770 Pro or even M50x.
Did not hear that anyone switched from these in favour of HP50...
A positive thing that NAD's brand HQs are here in Ontario!
I would say they are competitive with many sub $300 cans. They were on Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame for a long time. Read the review here https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i ... -viso-hp50
At the time, I bought the HD50's for $249 and also had the HD600s. I enjoyed them both and split my time using them.

I would say they are easily more accurate than the 770, or M50x. I would still take the HD6xx over the NAD by a small margin. Of course, the nit against these NADs is not their sound, but fit, comfort and build quality which knocks them out of the top league.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Feb 5, 2008
945 posts
271 upvotes
Fraser Valley
OP Can you please put an item description in the title for those of us that don't know all the models of headphones on the market
[OP]
Nov 30, 2013
267 posts
192 upvotes
FrostyButters wrote: OP Can you please put an item description in the title for those of us that don't know all the models of headphones on the market
Done
Oct 2, 2008
136 posts
25 upvotes
I have had these headphones for 4 years now and they sounds awesome. if you a looking for a fuller sound change the headphone cord to something of better quality. It makes the headphones sound fuller.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2880 posts
548 upvotes
BC
I just thought I'd point out that you can open the drivers in these and cut the wire that joins the left and right driver, and then re-solder one wire on the right side. It's a very quick mod, but it makes this headphone balanced. You'll be able to use dual 3.5mm cables like with hifiman or focal.

Please excuse the pads, new ones from eBay haven't arrived yet. Why do this though? Sound quality dramatically increases. Instrument separation and bass detail are much improved. This mod puts the HP50 squarely in the same class as the HD6xx for detail at less than 1/3rd of the imported price, and it's closed back! Note that you'll need a decent dac/amp to appreciate the difference.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2013
267 posts
192 upvotes
Ren wrote: I just thought I'd point out that you can open the drivers in these and cut the wire that joins the left and right driver, and then re-solder one wire on the right side. It's a very quick mod, but it makes this headphone balanced. You'll be able to use dual 3.5mm cables like with hifiman or focal.

Please excuse the pads, new ones from eBay haven't arrived yet. Why do this though? Sound quality dramatically increases. Instrument separation and bass detail are much improved. This mod puts the HP50 squarely in the same class as the HD6xx for detail at less than 1/3rd of the imported price, and it's closed back! Note that you'll need a decent dac/amp to appreciate the difference.
That is good to know. Do you just fry the cup open?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2880 posts
548 upvotes
BC
lesoir wrote: That is good to know. Do you just fry the cup open?
Not sure what you mean by fry, but you have to:

1) Take the pads off
2) Remove four screws
3) Remove black insert
4) Remove more screws

Now you have access to the pcb attached to 3.5mm connector. Cut the wire that attaches the left and right driver, and wire the right side driver to mirror the left driver and now you have a dual 3.5mm mono headphone that can run balanced.