[Visions Electronics] Sony 65" 4K HDR TV XBR65X950G $1998

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2019 1:47 pm
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
941 posts
872 upvotes

[Visions Electronics] Sony 65" 4K HDR TV XBR65X950G $1998

This is the successor to the Sony Xbr65x900f. According to reviews PQ hasn't changed, interface is faster, slightly brighter, nicer remote. Rtings.com rated 8.4.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g

MSRP is $2999 so nice discount now and more in line considering not much changed from 900F and it was just on sale for $1799.

Yes, the Vizio P659-G1 Is comparable and currently much cheaper. Only issue is poor QA so it's hit or miss whether you'll get a panel that has no flaws.

**Update**
Other retailers are selling for this price.

London Drugs
https://www.londondrugs.com/sony-65-in- ... 51721.html

Best Buy
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/so ... g/13375799

Best Buy may be better deal, includes wall mount, installation (Elite TV Service pkg) and free ChromeCast
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 27th, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added retailer
30 replies
Dec 27, 2018
12 posts
7 upvotes
The x950g also have noticable adventage on full hdmi 2.0 on all HDMI ports. I have the x900f and the only complaint I have is only 2 and 3 are full hdmi port. (In short mean if you want 4k HDR you can only plug it in 2 or 3). And at the same time hdmi port 3 is the ARC. So effectively you only have one hdmi port to use...... Suck if you have multiple 4k source like 4k blue ray, PS4, Xbox and PC at the same time. I used some HDMI splitter but those are expensive and most of the are not that stable..

Another upgrade is the eARC which support advance code c like dolby Atmos.

Both would be less of a matter of you have an amp with hdmi switch.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
1208 posts
152 upvotes
Thanks OP for the detailed post. This seems like a good option for anyone who has hesitation with the OLEDs due to the burn-in risk. How are the viewing angles on the x950 vs the x900f?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
16050 posts
17491 upvotes
The 950G is a monster 2019 panel. Slight to moderate improvement over the already great 900F.

Good value.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
941 posts
872 upvotes
Corinthein wrote: Thanks OP for the detailed post. This seems like a good option for anyone who has hesitation with the OLEDs due to the burn-in risk. How are the viewing angles on the x950 vs the x900f?
Check out the rtings.com review. VA will not be as good as oled for viewing angle for sure. But the review shows viewing angle compared to other tvs.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
16050 posts
17491 upvotes
For the price, this is OLED-junior level performance, but you're saving $500 to $1000 on comparable clearance OLED panels.

It's not OLED, but it's almost as satisfying.
Jul 22, 2009
265 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
frugalcanuck wrote: Yes, the Vizio P659-G1 Is comparable and currently much cheaper. Only issue is poor QA so it's hit or miss whether you'll get a panel that has no flaws.
P659 is probably somewhat nicer when watching native 4k content. But if you watch lower resolution content requires the processor to do work, the Sony handles it better.

Only gripe I have with my 900F is the interface speed. If only I could trade up to the 950G haha.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
941 posts
872 upvotes
This is my dilemma. It seems there is no perfect panel tech. OLED have great blacks, but tend towards a bit more red, could have motion blur, and burn in. LCD blacks are getting better, but I'm not sure about upconversion and some of the noise that I see with fast sports when demoing in store with 720p cable feed. Also price of OLED is high and nicer LCD panels are $2000+ unless you look at P659.

Still looking for successor to my Panny Plasma circa 2013. It was about $1300 and still has great PQ for 1080p content and cable 720p.

Really love to try 4k uhd but which option? Take a flyer on a Vizio and play panel roulette?? Lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1479 posts
553 upvotes
I have last year's and the the year before Sony 900....I couldn't be happier.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3957 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto
frugalcanuck wrote: This is my dilemma. It seems there is no perfect panel tech. OLED have great blacks, but tend towards a bit more red, could have motion blur, and burn in. LCD blacks are getting better, but I'm not sure about upconversion and some of the noise that I see with fast sports when demoing in store with 720p cable feed. Also price of OLED is high and nicer LCD panels are $2000+ unless you look at P659.

Still looking for successor to my Panny Plasma circa 2013. It was about $1300 and still has great PQ for 1080p content and cable 720p.

Really love to try 4k uhd but which option? Take a flyer on a Vizio and play panel roulette?? Lol.
in the exact same boat as you.
running on 50" panny right now and still going great, plus it doubles as space heater.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2011
1105 posts
270 upvotes
QTheNukes wrote: I have last year's and the the year before Sony 900....I couldn't be happier.
Do you watch in a dark room? How are the blacks?
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
941 posts
872 upvotes
SuckaB wrote: in the exact same boat as you.
running on 50" panny right now and still going great, plus it doubles as space heater.
OK in winter, sucks in summer! Sports is perfect on this TV...don't want to be disappointed with whatever succeeds it.
Jul 22, 2009
265 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
strippedaway wrote: Do you watch in a dark room? How are the blacks?
The blacks on my 900F are great. Came from an LG IPS, and the difference is noticeable. Unless I'm watching it beside an OLED, I probably wouldn't notice.
Dec 8, 2009
554 posts
311 upvotes
Edmonton
frugalcanuck wrote: This is my dilemma. It seems there is no perfect panel tech. OLED have great blacks, but tend towards a bit more red, could have motion blur, and burn in. LCD blacks are getting better, but I'm not sure about upconversion and some of the noise that I see with fast sports when demoing in store with 720p cable feed. Also price of OLED is high and nicer LCD panels are $2000+ unless you look at P659.

I've tried many tv's in the past few years and owned a Panasonic 50" ST60 way back in 2013, but now I have an X900F (very similar to the X950G) and LG C8 OLED. IMO the my LG OLED just demolishes any other tv I've ever seen, however it isn't the brightest tv compared to the X950G. It's still way brighter than any plasma tv I've seen though and in a dark room seeing perfect blacks is amazing. I also find that IR is significantly better than my Panasonic plasma which got IR within ~10 min or so and I've literally never seen it on my OLED (I've actually tried out 6 different OLED panels and unfortunately 2 of them did have visible IR after a few minutes so it varies by panel). OLED tv's also don't have that annoying buzzing noise that plasma tv's make which I used to hate lol.

IMO the biggest issue with OLED tv's is panel uniformity, I literally went through 6 different sets just to get one without any defects (dead pixels, banding, tinting, Near-Black-Chrominance-Overshoot, etc.). However every time I returned a set and went back to the X900F, I wasn't happy and went to get another OLED. I think that once you get used to the perfect blacks on an OLED it's very hard to go back to a FALD LED or even a plasma tv.

With that being said I still think the X900F looks better than most Plasma tv's I've seen (especially since it has HDR and DV), however it obviously has problems with blooming and viewing angles which can be hard to swallow when coming from a plasma tv. There are ways to make it less visible though by using bias lighting or playing with the settings (for SDR content you can nearly eliminate blooming by turning X-tended dynamic range to off). One of the biggest strengths of the X900F imo and even more so the X950G is the motion handling with the X1 and X1 ultimate chip-sets. I also feel that sony tv's handle up-scaling, gradations, and noise reduction extremely well. The color accuracy out of the box is also stellar.

At the end of the day however I don't think I'd trade my OLED for anything else other than a microLED tv or another OLED if I get burn in (hopefully they'll be much cheaper by then lol).