[Visions Electronics] Sony Smart Speaker (Better Google Home) 98$

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2019 11:54 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2018
58 posts
129 upvotes

[Visions Electronics] Sony Smart Speaker (Better Google Home) 98$

For everyone that needs a smart speaker in the range of a Google Home, this is literally a better google home, for the same sale price of 98$.
This is a google home, but that can actually deliver better sound and music for your guests or yourself.
What it does better than a Google Home (some personal things there too):
  • Sound (Better bass, and two way speakers)
  • LED Clock on the speaker
  • Splash proof (IP-X3 Certification)
  • Touch-free wave mecanism to change volume
If I didn't already have a regular google home, i'd jump on this deal !
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8028 posts
3600 upvotes
MVRD
Can I completely disable its Google Assistant function?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1346 posts
5278 upvotes
chatbox wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 4:50 pm
Can I completely disable its Google Assistant function?
People always ask this in smart speaker posts as if Google has built-in internet somehow. You can choose whether you give it your WiFi password or not.

@ OP - this speaker has very mediocre reviews - the lack of volume buttons and losing Google Assistant connectivity are repeatedly mentioned.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8028 posts
3600 upvotes
MVRD
Leverage wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 4:53 pm
People always ask this in smart speaker posts as if Google has built-in internet somehow. You can choose whether you give it your WiFi password or not.

@ OP - this speaker has very mediocre reviews - the lack of volume buttons and losing Google Assistant connectivity are repeatedly mentioned.
...but I still want to stream audio to it...

(And giving it wifi password doesn't equate to internet access... e.g. stream from local NAS where it's on an isolate network)
Last edited by chatbox on Jul 17th, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8028 posts
3600 upvotes
MVRD
mark_in_2k wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 4:52 pm
You can mute the microphone with a button, so yes.
Thanks!
[OP]
Apr 20, 2018
58 posts
129 upvotes
Leverage wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 4:53 pm
Saw the reviews, and I'd say they are not mediocre, but average.
But taking this speaker head to head with a regular google home (same basic functions and price), this one is a better value, for me.
Splash proof mean you can bring it outside at the pool party, giving it an additional speaker function that a google home doesn't have.
The pure audio quality is also a little better than a regular google home.
Yeah connectivity is average, and the gestures are a gimmick, but if I have to choose my poison, I take this one before a regular google home
Aug 19, 2011
190 posts
65 upvotes
I had one of these. Found the sound tinny and the lack of physical controls was super annoying. I found the regular google home a much better product, but to each their own. Mine went back to Best Buy.
Dec 5, 2018
129 posts
106 upvotes
SupaDawg wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 5:50 pm
I had one of these. Found the sound tinny and the lack of physical controls was super annoying. I found the regular google home a much better product, but to each their own. Mine went back to Best Buy.
Agree 100%. Purchased at BB during a promo last year, I kept it though, because, as stupid as it sounds, I recycled the box it came in immediately and tried it days after... anyways not worth 90 dollars. Maybe 50. But air controls are super bad.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1863 posts
2018 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Better Google Home?!?

Reviews are a mixed bag, some sayings better while others say it is not, gesture controls appear to be a big hit or miss with people. In the end I think it comes down to preference.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2440 posts
1024 upvotes
Edmonton
There is a reason why this unit is not a front contender. Sony also has poor support.