Expired Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] In-store only: Refurb Acer 14"/IPS FHD/i5-7200U/8GB RAM/256SSD/Metal case $498

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2018 10:32 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3270 posts
3680 upvotes

[Visions Electronics] In-store only: Refurb Acer 14"/IPS FHD/i5-7200U/8GB RAM/256SSD/Metal case $498

copy-paste: https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?categoryId=323&productId=43476&sku=SF314-52-53AX

direct: https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?categoryId=323&productId=43476&sku=SF314-52-53AX

premium laptop. spec is alright for $500, but the build quality is hard to come by for a sub-500 laptop.

good thing that it's in store only, because you can tell them to bring out all the stock from the back, and you can choose the one in best condition.
Last edited by Glancealot on Dec 17th, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
Bitcoin will crash hard.
14 replies
Nov 25, 2007
251 posts
170 upvotes
Burnaby, B.C.
Though I can't comment on this Acer's build quality, I'm giving a "thumb's up" for the deal for two reasons...

1) I pretty sure this is hackintosh-able (as the previous 6th gen cpu version of the Swift 3's were)

2) I bought an Asus Vivobook UX430 here https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 64920.aspx? for $449.95 from NVMicro to hackintosh. While I'm not quite done yet with my hackintosh project, I've been very pleasantly surprised how well the UX430 ran on Windows 10. With this Acer Swift 3 above, you're getting an i5 and 256 SSD for $50 more which is a worth it in my opinion.
Jan 2, 2014
614 posts
230 upvotes
kramerz80 wrote: Is it just me, or do Acer and build quality not belong in the same sentence? Does Acer actually have a line that is built to last?

Good price though...
I think they have less QA so they are hit and miss.
Years ago my cousin and I bought the SAME Acer laptop from the same place like one after another... One of us had no problems for years the other had all sorts.
Jun 26, 2007
862 posts
602 upvotes
This model did review fairly well, but Acer is pretty hit or miss.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3270 posts
3680 upvotes
Anyone wants to provide a review? I might stop by a local Visions store and check it out tonight.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Oct 13, 2018
262 posts
294 upvotes
kramerz80 wrote: Is it just me, or do Acer and build quality not belong in the same sentence? Does Acer actually have a line that is built to last?

Good price though...
Acer , Hp , Dell all get their stuff made from outsourced facilities in China/Vietnam and other replaces. The boards , displays , HDD and other smaller components are all made by different manufacturers so the quality remains the same. There is a reason why a single computer repair depot serves multiple companies cause they all use the same parts vendor with cross compatibility. Quality is bad across all manufacturers since they all are selling products at razer thin margins.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2011
2480 posts
2663 upvotes
Calgary
How to check store stock?
Rule No.1 here: Buy first, Think afterwards.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3270 posts
3680 upvotes
Glancealot wrote: Anyone wants to provide a review? I might stop by a local Visions store and check it out tonight.
I ended up not going as I told myself that I don't really need another laptop at this point. really happy with my ismart.
Marphyin wrote: How to check store stock?
call and ask.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3381 posts
1840 upvotes
"This is a reconditioned product and has a 1 (one) year limited manufacturer's warranty" full year Acer warranty inspires some confidence.

I had a Swift 3 which was one gen newer with the 8th gen 4 core i5. 2 things I didn't like about it. The feel of the edges was not polished or smooth. not sharp but you could feel the straight edges. That was not the reason I returned to best buy. I hated the tiny power pin adapter. It was not at all solid feeling and when plugged into the computer would flex up or down easily. I ended up getting an XPS 13 instead with a solid power connection.
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
13763 posts
14148 upvotes
I'm late to this thread.

A few things
(1) Good price.
(2) Decent build.
(3) Friendly form-factor.

Downsides:
(1) Acer quality is still middling.
(2) Panel is probably weak, but passable.

This is good for a niece, nephew, wife, or tween... teenage sons might complain that it's too underpowered.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3872 posts
1238 upvotes
Edmonton
We have alot of Acers at work.. they seem to stand up decent enough but they're probably all their business line laptops, so not sure how they compare with their consumer series.

The one I have is a p648 with carbon fibre chasis, i7, blah blah blah... Pretty sure it cost alot more than this one though.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19316 posts
7421 upvotes
Toronto
I don't get why Acer is the official whipping boy of RFD. Do those who hate the brand actually have user experience to back up the hate or is it simply from reading posts online which may or may not be backed up by actual user experience. I have three Acer laptops, oldest is heading on 10 years, yes a decade. That laptop is still fully functional albeit slow. I can't say the same for the HP brand. My first HP purchase was my last. Within the second year, the hinge started to act up and by year 3, it was unusable.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14954 posts
4186 upvotes
London
Edited..
They are probably Costco returns. I believe Costco was selling these (i5-7200) for $*799* new when Bestbuy came out with the newer version (i5-8250 quad core) that were on sale for same price

I think a lot of Costco buyers returned the older one (less than 90 days) to buy the newer version from bestbuy

It’s the cheapest metal based laptop (chassis , lid, hinges) with ssd. These are ok for school/ university type situations where repeated opening/ closing the lid and stuffing into a loaded school bag would destroy a regular plastic based home consumer based laptop with a hard drive

Edit current gen swift 3 is $699 on sale at Costco till Jan 3, $100 off
Last edited by l69norm on Dec 21st, 2018 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7162 posts
356 upvotes
Port Moody
Wife has an R14 no issues at all has served it's purpose no issues. I hear what you are saying but this deal is hot. Never had an Acer issue to date but sure there are always alternatives but this is hot and ya know u want it but I no I don't need it:)