Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Visions Electronics

Swagboard -Electric skateboard- $148 (Reg $ 399)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2018 10:38 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5654 posts
2050 upvotes
Chingyul wrote: Learning to foot brake is probably still a good skill to have riding these.
Been toying with getting one for the longest time, but couldn't justify the $1500 for a Boosted. Been looking into the $500 ones lately.
Definitely a good point. At some point, even on an electric, you will have to foot brake.

BTW, did you hear the news yesterday? Boosted just launched their V3 of their boards, and the Boosted Mini S is a brand new model, with a 29.5" long deck and kicktail, at $749 USD. I mean, that's still $1000 CAD, but, at $749 USD, it is going to crush the mid-entry level!! I can't wait to buy one used hehe
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Aug 2, 2013
72 posts
54 upvotes
Abbotsford
Funny this should be posted today. I just finished listened to a podcast where one of the hosts purchased a Swagboard and injured himself. I think it was video game commentator Jason Oestreicher. He said the Swagboards brakes failed at full speed, he was forced to bail, and despite releasing the hand switch the board continued full speed into a wall. YMMV but judging by this thread I’m thinking this isn’t the best product out there.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5654 posts
2050 upvotes
Birdddog wrote: Funny this should be posted today. I just finished listened to a podcast where one of the hosts purchased a Swagboard and injured himself. I think it was video game commentator Jason Oestreicher. He said the Swagboards brakes failed at full speed, he was forced to bail, and despite releasing the hand switch the board continued full speed into a wall. YMMV but judging by this thread I’m thinking this isn’t the best product out there.
I upvoted you not because I'm happy your podcast commentator got injured, but because it highlights the expectation people should have of pretty much ALL the electronic skateboards that are available through Amazon. Swagboard is like, the definition of what to expect with them. The brakes failing at full speed, the controller losing connection with the board....plus the stuff I highlighted from the video posted in here. All good reasons to avoid Swagboard and the others. Especially because it can be extremely dangerous, even at low speeds.

What injury did he sustain?

ALWAYS wear a helmet!!

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
deezz wrote: Thanks for posting the video!

A few things to address here:

1. The first 5 seconds of this video say it all: His Swagboard died after 1 month of riding. LOL. A dead ESC after one month of use. That is, in my mind, completely unacceptable, and everything you'd except from these toys.

2. He's decided to fix this by.....getting another Swagboard. lol.

3. The hub wheel diameter being a larger diameter than the other three wheels is the sort of thing these brands don't pay attention to - resulting in the excess wear on the drive axle and the terrible drive sound coming from it. This does not bode well for the life of the drivetrain.

4. You just so happen to have extra 18650 cells lying around. That's a free component for you. I'm guessing most people don't.

5. Did you hear him mention how much other work he had to do in terms of metal grinding and wiring. In his own voice you can hear how much fun that was. For those that have the time and do this as a hobby, that's fine....but most others don't have that kind of time.

6. This guy is getting lit during this video LOL. That was straight up hilarious.

It does seem like you are intent on buying this though and moving ahead with your project. I hope it is fun for you and all goes well man!!

Again, for those who want a toy to just mess around with, by all means...$148...it ain't gonna get much cheaper than that.

But for those who want to get something good quality that will last them years to come....I continue to recommend avoiding this thing :S
I just wonder when the first one he got is out. Is it the battery or the components.
Birdddog wrote: Funny this should be posted today. I just finished listened to a podcast where one of the hosts purchased a Swagboard and injured himself. I think it was video game commentator Jason Oestreicher. He said the Swagboards brakes failed at full speed, he was forced to bail, and despite releasing the hand switch the board continued full speed into a wall. YMMV but judging by this thread I’m thinking this isn’t the best product out there.
That sounds dangerous. May be I can add a remote relay as ignition and put a physical button on the board for acceleration and one for deceleration.
Or I just add a physical kill button on the board to kill the power. Something like the string clip on the treadmill.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5654 posts
2050 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: I just wonder when the first one he got is out. Is it the battery or the components.
He showed in the video that the ESC on his first one died. Just completely died. After one month he said.
theflyingsquirrel wrote: That sounds dangerous. May be I can add a remote relay as ignition and put a physical button on the board for acceleration and one for deceleration.
Or I just add a physical kill button on the board to kill the power. Something like the string clip on the treadmill.
Not sure what it's like on a hub motor, since they can freewheel a bit, but on a belt drive, if the belt stops while you're riding, it will almost come to a complete dead stop. Which is damn dangerous.

Feb 1, 2011
196 posts
75 upvotes
Vancouver
The price is back to reg price.
Aug 2, 2013
72 posts
54 upvotes
Abbotsford
deezz wrote: I upvoted you not because I'm happy your podcast commentator got injured, but because it highlights the expectation people should have of pretty much ALL the electronic skateboards that are available through Amazon. Swagboard is like, the definition of what to expect with them. The brakes failing at full speed, the controller losing connection with the board....plus the stuff I highlighted from the video posted in here. All good reasons to avoid Swagboard and the others. Especially because it can be extremely dangerous, even at low speeds.

What injury did he sustain?

ALWAYS wear a helmet!!
I think he sprained or broke his wrist.

Regarding electric skateboards, I wasn’t going to go as far calling them out for being dangerous, but I tend to agree with you. Skateboards already dont have a ton of control, don’t people typically just bail in a tricky situation? To add a motor into the mix seems like a recipe for disaster to me. That said, people should buy and do what they want.... maybe don’t give it to a kid though.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
deezz wrote: He showed in the video that the ESC on his first one died. Just completely died. After one month he said.

Not sure what it's like on a hub motor, since they can freewheel a bit, but on a belt drive, if the belt stops while you're riding, it will almost come to a complete dead stop. Which is damn dangerous.
Is this one on belt? I think it is a hub motor.
Are you sure those on belt will have a hard stop?
I have mid drive ebike motor driven with belts and it was fine.
lhp2000 wrote: The price is back to reg price.
Sales starts tmr.

I found their repair centre in Canada. It seems that the warranty is 1 year.

Swagtron Canada Repair Information

Samtack Support number: 1-800-255-8048
Hour of operation: 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. EST
For Repairs: swagtron.repair@samtack.com
Details:
http://samtack.com/contact_us.html
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Feb 1, 2011
196 posts
75 upvotes
Vancouver
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Is this one on belt? I think it is a hub motor.

Thanks. I did not read it carefully.

Sales starts tmr.

Details:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
theflyingsquirrel wrote: ...
That sounds dangerous. May be I can add a remote relay as ignition and put a physical button on the board for acceleration and one for deceleration.
I found this pull kill switch.
Engine Stop Pull kill Tether Switch Lanyard for ATV Quad Racing Emergency
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1x-Engine-Cord- ... Swzb9Zob49
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5654 posts
2050 upvotes
Birdddog wrote: I think he sprained or broke his wrist.

Regarding electric skateboards, I wasn’t going to go as far calling them out for being dangerous, but I tend to agree with you. Skateboards already dont have a ton of control, don’t people typically just bail in a tricky situation? To add a motor into the mix seems like a recipe for disaster to me. That said, people should buy and do what they want.... maybe don’t give it to a kid though.
Oh they are DEFINITELY dangerous. Like, to the point of death. I'm pretty sure two eskate riders have died in the last month from crashing without a helmet. ALWAYS wear a helmet!! Many people on the better, more powerful boards wear full-face motorcycle-style helmets. And with good reason.
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Is this one on belt? I think it is a hub motor.

Sales starts tmr.

Details:
You better keep that number on speed dial lol.

I have a belt drive board, and if you pull down on the brake, it will stop pretty damn hard. I didn't mean a complete dead stop, but enough to throw you from the board 100%. Even if you accelerate too quickly you will get tossed for sure.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
deezz wrote: Oh they are DEFINITELY dangerous. Like, to the point of death. I'm pretty sure two eskate riders have died in the last month from crashing without a helmet. ALWAYS wear a helmet!! Many people on the better, more powerful boards wear full-face motorcycle-style helmets. And with good reason.
You better keep that number on speed dial lol.

I have a belt drive board, and if you pull down on the brake, it will stop pretty damn hard. I didn't mean a complete dead stop, but enough to throw you from the board 100%. Even if you accelerate too quickly you will get tossed for sure.
Sounds scary. May be I should wear helmet and start slow. Is 11mph fast on these boards?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5654 posts
2050 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Sounds scary. May be I should wear helmet and start slow. Is 11mph fast on these boards?
I think this will be the fifth time I've said it in here. ALWAYS wear a helmet when you're riding these things, no matter the brand, no matter the speed. ALWAYS.

Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
1555 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
Birdddog wrote: I think he sprained or broke his wrist.

Brakes failing is a well known problem with cheaper boards without charging protection. What happens is that as you slow down, the regenerative breaking charges the battery. If the battery was nearly full, it will exceed the design voltage and shut off. Everything stops working after that. Mid to higher end boards like the meepo will trigger the regenerative breaking bypass without shutting off the board completely. You get what you pay for, and you get very little with the swagboard. Get he Wowgo or meepo instead. The parts themselves almost add up to their complete unit sale price.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
bigredlemon wrote: Brakes failing is a well known problem with cheaper boards without charging protection. What happens is that as you slow down, the regenerative breaking charges the battery. If the battery was nearly full, it will exceed the design voltage and shut off. Everything stops working after that. Mid to higher end boards like the meepo will trigger the regenerative breaking bypass without shutting off the board completely. You get what you pay for, and you get very little with the swagboard. Get he Wowgo or meepo instead. The parts themselves almost add up to their complete unit sale price.
It sounds like the breaking problem will only be triggered when you first use the board after a fresh charge.
Can you use the board without battery? If it can roll without battery, they when the board shut off, it should still be able to spin?
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
1555 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
theflyingsquirrel wrote: It sounds like the breaking problem will only be triggered when you first use the board after a fresh charge.
Can you use the board without battery? If it can roll without battery, they when the board shut off, it should still be able to spin?
It's hard to know when to stop charging though as it charges to full by default. If you live uphill, you're going to have a bad time.
I think a lot of people don't have the experience to stop a 10lb longboard going 20km/hr downhill.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
bigredlemon wrote: It's hard to know when to stop charging though as it charges to full by default. If you live uphill, you're going to have a bad time.
I think a lot of people don't have the experience to stop a 10lb longboard going 20km/hr downhill.
No kidding. How do you stop?
And make sure you didn't reverse the board and roll start it with your feet.

Ordered for pickup and save $5.92. haha. Even cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5654 posts
2050 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: No kidding. How do you stop?
And make sure you didn't reverse the board and roll start it with your feet.

Ordered for pickup and save $5.92. haha. Even cheaper.
Good luck with your life man lol

Seriously though, PLEASE WEAR A HELMET!!!!!!!!

Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
deezz wrote: Good luck with your life man lol

Seriously though, PLEASE WEAR A HELMET!!!!!!!!
You make me regret the buy even before I get it. :(
may be I should just walk when it is a slope down.
And wear helmet and prepare to crash.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5654 posts
2050 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: You make me regret the buy even before I get it. :(
may be I should just walk when it is a slope down.
And wear helmet and prepare to crash.
Haha sorry! Don't get me wrong...it will probably be fun for the first little while. And if you're only going to use it occasionally, then yeah, you'll like it. But just keep in mind the inherent dangers, so PLEASE ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET, no matter how slow you're going. And keep in mind, long term or for serious use, don't be disappointed if it stops working much sooner rather than later.

Have fun and stay safe!!