Expired Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] For those missed it last time, Boss 6.75" Touchscreen Double-DIN In Dash Receiver back on sale again

Oct 10, 2011
138 posts
82 upvotes
York
Messerschmitt wrote: Are you installing this on a 09 civic? I have a 07 and I'm toying with the idea of getting it for BT and rear view camera.

What are the complete components required for this to work?
I installed this in my 10 civic (LX-S) a couple weeks ago. (8th gen so its all the same). I ended up needing the following parts:

Dash kit: Scosche HA1561DGB
Antenna Adapter: Metra 40-HD10 Honda 2005-Up Antenna Adapter
Wiring Harness: Metra 70-1722 Radio Wiring Harness for Honda 2006-Up
USB Adapter: 3911-TFO-003
Backup Cam: AUTO-VOX Cam 6 Rear Reverse Backup Camera

Besides for those, you will also need
  • butt connects/solder
  • a drill for drilling a hole through the trunk for the reverse cam
  • silicon for protecting that hole and the wire
  • some extra wire for the parking break wire

The USB Adapter was used to keep the USB port in my centre console so that I didn't loose that feature of the car. I ended up running the AndroidAuto/CarPlay cable through it. For the reverse cam, I could have changed it up for a lot cheaper of a reverse cam (any cam pretty much works) but I needed to use the Prime shipping speed so thats why everything I bought was through Amazon. One thing you should note is that the illumination wire on the unit is indeed the dimmer wire on the Metra harness. I tested it for the 12V before connecting it. Everything turned out great and the install took about 3 hours where the main work was probably the reverse cam and me hiding the microphone in-between the light controls so you can't see it.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3420 posts
2215 upvotes
Toronto
millsthrills wrote: See it gets a little tricky especially with a new vehicle. I would suggest emailing pac with what you have and what they would suggest.

That specific steering wheel Control does not list 2018,it may work but you want to confirm with the manufacture.

Maybe Boss has changed but the quality in the past was very low end. We used to refer to brands like them as "Walmart crap" VS the Kenwood, alpine, clarion, pioneer, Sony stuff we were selling and installing. So to me it's not surprising a low end unit like this would not have the greatest support for add-ons. I would avoid anything that specifically says "doesn't support Boss" and if it doesn't list it as a supported brand I would email to confirm.

This is going in an 09 civic so I don't care if it's crap just want to have BT and Andoird auto ability :)
I'm thinking of getting this for an 08 Civic....this price point is not bad at all. What parts did you need to pick up to get this hooked up?

EDIT: haha just realized the comment above helps.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2240 posts
1674 upvotes
Ottawa
For those who ordered this, how long did it take to ship? I placed an order on Nov 10 and it still doesn't show shipped yet.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3737 posts
1026 upvotes
I ordered Oct 24 and it shipped Oct 25
Feb 9, 2009
188 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
anyone had any trouble with installing a steering wheel adaptor to retain the steering wheel controls? I ordered it, but stuck on where to attach the wires based on the instructions. says to insert to wire (on the wiring harness?) based on pin numbers, but my harness doesn't have anything in that pin. Should I be splicing into the factory wiring then?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3737 posts
1026 upvotes
espnocho wrote: but my harness doesn't have anything in that pin. Should I be splicing into the factory wiring then?
Yes. I used a Scotchlok tap connector to do it but the proper way to do it would be to strip and solider the connection.
Jan 12, 2013
80 posts
85 upvotes
Cornwall
I just bought the DMX 7706 Kenwood on sale at Canadian Tire for $449. I received $38 back from a $25 promo and 4%. I also redeemed $100. For the difference the Kenwood has a much nice display and is more reliable.
Dec 28, 2012
545 posts
369 upvotes
OTTAWA
Update for those with an 8thgen civic (2006-2009)

Shipping confirmation was sent Nov8 and received unit on Nov14.

I previously had a single din pioneer headunit with a "pocket" underneath. I did not require any additional parts. I did take another posters advice and ground the parking break during the installation.

Took 45 minutes all in.

Review of the unit with maybe 2 hours of use:

- Great unit for the price, good features, simple setup for android auto.
- Bluetooth quality I was told was "sounds the same as your phone"
- Waze or any map quality is of course not amazing quality but it still looks great (see photo)
- Similar to another poster, not a fan of the touch volume but ill get used to having no nob
- I cannot comment on the sound quality as my speakers are amplified through a 4 channel Amp and monoblock for the sub.

FYI:

It did not include a USB extension for either of the USBs (1 for charging, 1 for Android Auto)

Shoutout to my Kanata peeps

***edit

For those wondering where I put the BT mic I added a picture
Images
  • IMG_20191115_113612.jpg
  • IMG_20191116_082140.jpg
Last edited by millsthrills on Nov 16th, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 9, 2009
188 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
CorSter wrote: Yes. I used a Scotchlok tap connector to do it but the proper way to do it would be to strip and solider the connection.
Thanks. I used butt connectors for the rest, but seems like taps would have been easier. I'll use taps for the factory wires as I dont want to modify them too much.
Mar 20, 2017
231 posts
371 upvotes
Anyone know how this works in the winter time?

Edit: wanted to add if there are any loading problems like slow load etc with colder temperatures. Thanks in advance
Nov 7, 2009
135 posts
56 upvotes
Regina
Picked it up last week. Very easy to install on a 2011 GMC Sierra. It’s had limited use but I am pretty happy with it so far! Dash kit and harness cost more than the unit but that’s a fixed cost anyway.

Everything is laid out well in the metra harness instructions. The soldering and shrink wrap was the longest part of the install process. Picked up a linked USB extension and it works well.
Dec 6, 2008
273 posts
160 upvotes
Ontario
2008 Nissan Pathfinder. Stock radio is double din. Starting to bleed on the display.

Anyone put one of these in a Pathy before just wondering how it went. I'm pretty handy just wanted to see if anyone had an idea of how much work is involved. TiA.
Dec 6, 2008
273 posts
160 upvotes
Ontario
millsthrills wrote: Update for those with an 8thgen civic (2006-2009)

Shipping confirmation was sent Nov8 and received unit on Nov14.

I previously had a single din pioneer headunit with a "pocket" underneath. I did not require any additional parts. I did take another posters advice and ground the parking break during the installation.

Took 45 minutes all in.

Review of the unit with maybe 2 hours of use:

- Great unit for the price, good features, simple setup for android auto.
- Bluetooth quality I was told was "sounds the same as your phone"
- Waze or any map quality is of course not amazing quality but it still looks great (see photo)
- Similar to another poster, not a fan of the touch volume but ill get used to having no nob
- I cannot comment on the sound quality as my speakers are amplified through a 4 channel Amp and monoblock for the sub.

FYI:

It did not include a USB extension for either of the USBs (1 for charging, 1 for Android Auto)

Shoutout to my Kanata peeps

***edit

For those wondering where I put the BT mic I added a picture
Question about the extensions and might seem dumb but what are the extensions for and where did you run them to? Thx
Oct 21, 2013
221 posts
83 upvotes
Ottawa
Where does this show compatabliity? I have a 2005 Sienna... Just wondering how much more I will have to spend. It has double DIN currently.