• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2019 10:08 am
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
782 posts
711 upvotes
GPS - error

[Visions Electronics] Uniden Long Range Radar Detector R1 (refurb) - $198

This is a killer deal, it's refurb but still these don't sell for less than $320 ...
On the official website they're $240 USD right now for refurbished units.

Amazing detector for the price, also detects MRCD signals.
Legal only in Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan.

Digital Signal processor
Extreme radar sensitivity
Color OLED display
K false filter
KA false filter
Spectre Elite undetectable
Single suction cup bracket included
Double suction cup bracket included
Cigarette adapter with MUTE KEY and USB JACK
Carrying case
87 replies
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
782 posts
711 upvotes
GPS - error
Cops down voting a great deal, lmao.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3761 posts
1143 upvotes
Edmonton
Any feedback to as what is 'reconditioned' and why? Pretty short warranty.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
782 posts
711 upvotes
GPS - error
Hard to say, probably factory reconditioned based on model number,
usually the OLED dislpay failure or something and it's fixed and replaced.

Refurbs are always 90 days so nothing special there. I paid $398 for mine (new).

Friend of mine bought a refurb R3 and it looks and works like new, in his case :)
Apr 28, 2010
166 posts
139 upvotes
Terrace
escape1975 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 3:10 pm
Hard to say, probably factory reconditioned based on model number,
usually the OLED dislpay failure or something and it's fixed and replaced.

Refurbs are always 90 days so nothing special there. I paid $398 for mine (new).

Friend of mine bought a refurb R3 and it looks and works like new, in his case :)
I wish R3 is on sale :(
But R1 at this price is pretty good.
Aug 28, 2007
384 posts
105 upvotes
Do these actually detect Lidar? Isn't that the type used most today!
Oct 26, 2012
8 posts
1 upvote
Whitehorse
Radar is going away. Most often, if you are getting a ticket - it is going to be based on LIDAR. Once you are in the beam, you are done, unlike radar which isn't target specific.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
4371 posts
701 upvotes
Braddock54 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 3:38 pm
Radar is going away. Most often, if you are getting a ticket - it is going to be based on LIDAR. Once you are in the beam, you are done, unlike radar which isn't target specific.
Far from the truth on your initial point. There is easily 30:1 Radar to Lidar (in Ontario), speaking from experience. Also, 95% of LEO are Radar trained, whereas only 5-10% are Lidar operators.

Your second point is completely valid, though. Lidar is extremely accurate and has much higher usable range
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2385 posts
544 upvotes
Belle River
billandmeltoo wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 3:25 pm
Do these actually detect Lidar? Isn't that the type used most today!
Is that what you get when Radar and a Lion mate?
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
782 posts
711 upvotes
GPS - error
I'd say we mostly have Radar in Alberta, still K and KA, lots of MRCD popping up now,
some LIDAR but there's no detector that can detect it fast enough to be of any value.
Nov 20, 2017
339 posts
471 upvotes
escape1975 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 4:43 pm
I'd say we mostly have Radar in Alberta, still K and KA, lots of MRCD popping up now,
some LIDAR but there's no detector that can detect it fast enough to be of any value.
You mean no detector that can detect you flying by fast enough? Attaboy haha... Thanks for the deal!
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
782 posts
711 upvotes
GPS - error
prodacc wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 4:45 pm
You mean no detector that can detect you flying by fast enough? Attaboy haha... Thanks for the deal!
LOL, I wish,... I remember the days you could go over 200 kph on a highway, now that's history :)
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
1483 posts
388 upvotes
Vancouver
Braddock54 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 3:38 pm
not true. most instance of radar i see in BC are easily Ka. No moving cop car uses laser, they all use Ka. Laser is only used in speed traps. I may see a couple speed traps a year, but ill see a cop running his radar while hes driving, multiple times daily.

you are right that if a cop targets you with laser and hits, its too late for detection. but with Laser you can get hits from reflections and what not so you may be warned if they arent aiming at you. One time Ka even hit for me at a speed trap, and im sure that the cop just left his incar radar on, which alerted to the trap where im sure they had a laser.

And then in the states - i havent been down there in years, but they are probably using old tech in some of the towns. They used to even use x band stuff not too long ago.

edit: actually just 2 wks ago i was driving past midnite on a local highway, hardly any traffic. Laser rang out which was weird in the situation, so i slowed. Sure enough there was a cop up around the bend sitting in his car on the side of the road. I was behind trees and a bend and I was alerted somehow, not sure how. that is some sort of rarity but something worked in my favour.
Last edited by kaycee8877 on Jun 21st, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dec 7, 2009
886 posts
402 upvotes
East of Toronto
Great deal at Cdn 198! BestBuy had this R1BBY version (no smart cord, no case) last Thanksgiving for USD 198. Currently USD 280. Keep you out of trouble until the R7 comes down in price.
Last edited by DRC on Jun 21st, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
9782 posts
4420 upvotes
Nice deal,I just purchased a new one a few days ago and now considering this instead.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
Buy first think later!
Dont tell wife!