Hot Deals

[Visions Electronics] Yamaha RX-V385 5.1-channel AV receiver - Free Shipping $299

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2021 3:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 23, 2004
8930 posts
1942 upvotes
London

[Visions Electronics] Yamaha RX-V385 5.1-channel AV receiver - Free Shipping $299

This is brand new for $299 and only $29 more than the Yamaha ebay store refurbished one $269.99 (the refurbished one is out of stock now).

Pretty good budget 5.1 receiver with good review.

https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/4 ... sku=RXV385

Also available at the Bricks and Costco for the same price.
Last edited by apvm on Apr 17th, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
42 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 23, 2004
8930 posts
1942 upvotes
London
EugW wrote: That’s normal price at most retailers.

IOW, if you paid $299.99 at Visions, you may have paid too much.
Care to share where you can get it cheaper, thanks.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19431 posts
5489 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote: Care to share where you can get it cheaper, thanks.
I edited my post above as you were posting yours, to add the Costco link.

The point is that the price you posted is current regular pricing, and that Visions is not a top tier retailer. I shop at Visions when I can get a discount. I generally won’t pay full price at Visions. If you’re going to pay full price, then go with a retailer with a top tier return policy, like Costco.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4233 posts
2765 upvotes
apvm wrote: Care to share where you can get it cheaper, thanks.
Visions will often be willing to negotiate. Perhaps that is what @EugW was referring to.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 23, 2004
8930 posts
1942 upvotes
London
EugW wrote: I edited my post above as you were posting yours, to add the Costco link.

The point is that the price you posted is current regular pricing, and that Visions is not a top tier retailer. I shop at Visions when I can get a discount. I generally won’t pay full price at Visions. If you’re going to pay full price, then go with a retailer with a top tier return policy, like Costco.
Thanks, too bad I am not a Costco member. Updated post that it is also available at the Bricks and Costco for the same price.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19431 posts
5489 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote: Thanks, too bad I am not a Costco member.
It’s the same price at other retailers. You have NOT posted a unique discounted price.
SizzleChest wrote: Visions will often be willing to negotiate. Perhaps that is what @EugW was referring to.
Indeed. Never pay full price at Visions if you can help it. Granted though it’s more difficult in a pandemic lockdown.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 23, 2004
8930 posts
1942 upvotes
London
SizzleChest wrote: Visions will often be willing to negotiate. Perhaps that is what @EugW was referring to.
Still thinking if I should replace my V379 with this one, will call local Visions if they have stock and willing to lower the price to $280 and then decide. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19431 posts
5489 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote: Still thinking if I should replace my V379 with this one, will call local Visions if they have stock and willing to lower the price to $280 and then decide. Thanks.
Can you do curb side pickup? If so they may be more willing to negotiate.

BTW, they are both low end models. What are you looking for in an upgrade? Dolby Vision or something?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
3691 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver
apvm wrote: Thanks, too bad I am not a Costco member. Updated post that it is also available at the Bricks and Costco for the same price.
Non members can sign up for 2 free visits a year at guest services that allow you to go in and buy stuff. You do have to provide a piece of ID. They had that policy for about 2-3 yrs now, but I just double checked recently and couldn't see that policy so not sure if they removed cause it's no longer in effect or they still have it, but didn't want to advertise that fact.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 29, 2004
11682 posts
8773 upvotes
Oil Country
apvm wrote: Thanks, too bad I am not a Costco member. Updated post that it is also available at the Bricks and Costco for the same price.
I don't think you need a Costco membership to buy it online from them (I could be wrong though, not sure). Try creating an account ordering it. It's only with certain items that you require a Costco membership.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
3691 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver
Unless otherwise stated on the item description, non members can also purchase a selection of items from their website including this receiver.
https://www.costco.ca/yamaha-rx-v385-5. ... 14797.html
And bc you purchased from Costco, you do have a 2yr warranty. But technically, any warranty is through the importer cause their electronics are grey market.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19431 posts
5489 upvotes
Toronto
kmchow wrote: And bc you purchased from Costco, you do have a 2yr warranty. But technically, any warranty is through the importer cause their electronics are grey market.
That is not necessarily true. For example, Costco has sold Yamaha receivers rebranded specifically for Costco. Obviously these can't be grey market, because they're products Yamaha itself rebranded for Costco. (Different model numbers, etc.)

Secondly, for a lot of electronics products, the first year warranty is the original manufacturer's warranty. It's the second year warranty that is the Costco warranty. It's a moot point with the receivers though, because the original manufacturer's warranty is 2 years anyway.
Last edited by EugW on Apr 17th, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1363 posts
1073 upvotes
I hate to be that guy, but honestly if you are looking at a budget entry level avr like this, i really suggest giving used a consideration. It's a small market and while prices are currently inflated, there's a lot of good deals to be had. I just got a Yamaha rx-v481 for $140. The v485 is like $600 today and only a few new features and the same audio quality.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19431 posts
5489 upvotes
Toronto
DanP wrote: I hate to be that guy, but honestly if you are looking at a budget entry level avr like this, i really suggest giving used a consideration. It's a small market and while prices are currently inflated, there's a lot of good deals to be had. I just got a Yamaha rx-v481 for $140. The v485 is like $600 today and only a few new features and the same audio quality.
The RX-V481 didn't get the Dolby Vision update, did it? If not, that would explain why it is so cheap. I personally wouldn't buy one in 2021 without Dolby Vision, unless it's for a secondary system or something.

The RX-V385 has full Dolby Vision support.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1363 posts
1073 upvotes
EugW wrote: The RX-V481 didn't get the Dolby Vision update, did it? If not, that would explain why it is so cheap. I personally wouldn't buy one in 2021 without Dolby Vision, unless it's for a secondary system or something.

The RX-V385 has full Dolby Vision support.
Oh 100% you have to make sure the features fit your needs and consider what your giving up. For me, i know im not upgrading my tv for at least a few more years so the lack of a few features made it well worth it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19431 posts
5489 upvotes
Toronto
DanP wrote: Oh 100% you have to make sure the features fit your needs and consider what your giving up. For me, i know im not upgrading my tv for at least a few more years so the lack of a few features made it well worth it.
Well, the OP already has an RX-V379, which is why I asked why he wants to upgrade to a RX-V385 which is a very similar receiver overall. I postulated it might be something like Dolby Vision.

I lucked out in my case. I have a Marantz SR5010 and a Denon AVR-S710W, which are both 2015 models which I bought for cheap in 2016. Neither came with Dolby Vision (as they were pre-Dolby Vision) and neither were supposed to get the DV updates, but eventually they decided to upgrade them so I didn't need to update my hardware for my new TVs.
Last edited by EugW on Apr 17th, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 23, 2004
8930 posts
1942 upvotes
London
EugW wrote:
Can you do curb side pickup? If so they may be more willing to negotiate.

BTW, they are both low end models. What are you looking for in an upgrade? Dolby Vision or something?
DanP wrote: I hate to be that guy, but honestly if you are looking at a budget entry level avr like this, i really suggest giving used a consideration. It's a small market and while prices are currently inflated, there's a lot of good deals to be had. I just got a Yamaha rx-v481 for $140. The v485 is like $600 today and only a few new features and the same audio quality.
Just missed an used Sony str-dh790 with Atmos support etc for $250, I think I will hold on to my RX-V379 and look for receiver with Atmos support instead.

Top