Expired Hot Deals

[Visions] Samsung 65" Q80T (2020) QLED at $1998

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 9:34 am
Dec 1, 2007
741 posts
132 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
georgep wrote: Personally, I would look for a discounted q80r instead and probably save $1k.

The prices are high and the problem is that once you get above 70" screen size, the prices are a lot higher and the discounts are mediocre - and in that screen size and price range, Samsung has the best bang for the buck (OLED is a LOT more for the same screen size). The best deals seem to be in the 55" and 65" sizes - guessing probably because they sell 10:1 or 20:1 versus the 70" and up screens.
Visions sales rep indicated Q80r has been sold out for many moons. Less dimming zones on the Q80t but he's trying to convince me the improved processing on the Q80t makes any "decrease in quality" negligible. I am likely going to pick-up the Q90r soundbar (7.1.4 system) as well. $1398 for it but it meets my needs at that price. Rep agreed to include 5 year warranty on the soundbar if I purchase the extended warranty on the TV.
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.
Aug 15, 2019
249 posts
172 upvotes
jello_bob wrote: Visions sales rep indicated Q80r has been sold out for many moons. Less dimming zones on the Q80t but he's trying to convince me the improved processing on the Q80t makes any "decrease in quality" negligible. I am likely going to pick-up the Q90r soundbar (7.1.4 system) as well. $1398 for it but it meets my needs at that price. Rep agreed to include 5 year warranty on the soundbar if I purchase the extended warranty on the TV.
He is correct in that the new algorithm for local dimming is much better in 2020 with less dimming zones. That being said personally I am waiting for 65” Vizio P Quantum X it should be 1999.99 since US pricing for it is 1499.99.

One of the few 4k TVs that didnt get downgraded this year compared to last year or two.

Also Q90R soundbar is not bad but would recommend waiting for the 2020 soundbar to arrive since those ones paired to 2020 QLED has a feature called Q symphony. TV speakers + soundbar work together for more channels and Creating a better sound Bubble around you.

Cheers
Dec 1, 2007
741 posts
132 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
MuffinHombre wrote: He is correct in that the new algorithm for local dimming is much better in 2020 with less dimming zones. That being said personally I am waiting for 65” Vizio P Quantum X it should be 1999.99 since US pricing for it is 1499.99.

One of the few 4k TVs that didnt get downgraded this year compared to last year or two.

Also Q90R soundbar is not bad but would recommend waiting for the 2020 soundbar to arrive since those ones paired to 2020 QLED has a feature called Q symphony. TV speakers + soundbar work together for more channels and Creating a better sound Bubble around you.

Cheers
Hmm, good to know! I might wait on the soundbar then as I want to see how I'll implement power to the rear speakers. Didn't account for this in the New Home building process at the time so not sure exactly where outlets need to be to account for this. Online seems to say each power cord is only 4.5' long which based on my room size, may or may not be easy for placement purposes.
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1067 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jello_bob wrote: Visions sales rep indicated Q80r has been sold out for many moons. Less dimming zones on the Q80t but he's trying to convince me the improved processing on the Q80t makes any "decrease in quality" negligible. I am likely going to pick-up the Q90r soundbar (7.1.4 system) as well. $1398 for it but it meets my needs at that price. Rep agreed to include 5 year warranty on the soundbar if I purchase the extended warranty on the TV.
Best Buy has an "open box" (which can be a bit of a crap shoot) 75" q80r for $2660: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... x/13625862
Feb 14, 2011
410 posts
253 upvotes
Canada
Q80R HAS been sold out 4ever. That's a decent price for the Soundbar. There is a new one coming in August 9.1.4 channel HW-Q950T...however, I believe it is priced at 2K USD. Q900T is essentially the 90R 2020 model.

I had nothing but issues with my Q80R Soundbar, which is the 90R without the rears. Returned it.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3300 posts
444 upvotes
Mississauga
jello_bob wrote: Based on the RTings compare page, I would personally have a hard time justifying the difference in price.

Q80T versus Q90T

But I suppose for the right consumer, it may be worth it? $3498 in it's current state feels overpriced but I'm also not as much a videophile as some on here.
I was speaking about the 75 Q80T to the 65, is that what your referring to here as the link implies a different model
Dec 1, 2007
741 posts
132 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
dreaderus wrote: I was speaking about the 75 Q80T to the 65, is that what your referring to here as the link implies a different model
My bad - I read one thing and responded to another.
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.
Dec 1, 2007
741 posts
132 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
65" Q80T has dropped to the $1999 price again as the rep had suggested it would. Many retailers carrying it at the price. I'm going to look at what my Commercial Sales dealer is willing to sell it for at The Brick.
Cha-ching.
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3324 posts
1411 upvotes
Vancouver
Can I ask where the Sony 950G/H series would slot in here in terms of picture quality -- above or below the Q80T? Price wise the Sony's cleared out recently under $1500 so I'm wondering if the premium for the Samsung is justified.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3300 posts
444 upvotes
Mississauga
jello_bob wrote: 65" Q80T has dropped to the $1999 price again as the rep had suggested it would. Many retailers carrying it at the price. I'm going to look at what my Commercial Sales dealer is willing to sell it for at The Brick.
Cha-ching.
please share with us if you can get it lower
Sep 9, 2006
59 posts
42 upvotes
georgep wrote: Best Buy has an "open box" (which can be a bit of a crap shoot) 75" q80r for $2660: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... x/13625862
You can negotiate pretty hard on the open box models. I got a 75" Q8FN (so, the model/year prior to the Q80r) with delivery, installation, "pro" calibration, and 4 year warranty for $1999 last year (Nov 2019). Just ask the Best Buy sales guy to keep asking the manager for the best price/discount. They initially were asking $2599 w/o the setup, warranty, etc. for the set I got. Oh, and make sure if they are throwing in calibration, that it includes calibrating HDR modes... for some reason that's a different sku in their system.
-------------------------
Koodo
Tangerine
Dec 1, 2007
741 posts
132 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
dreaderus wrote: please share with us if you can get it lower
$1899 is their best price I'm told. I took it. Already have a bunch of furniture set up for delivery so just keep piling it on. :)
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3300 posts
444 upvotes
Mississauga
jello_bob wrote: $1899 is their best price I'm told. I took it. Already have a bunch of furniture set up for delivery so just keep piling it on. :)
For 75 what should i be targeting? 2999?
Dec 1, 2007
741 posts
132 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
dreaderus wrote: For 75 what should i be targeting? 2999?
If you can get it at 75" new for under $3K, as of today, it's a solid deal IMO. You won't find it open box at this stage in the game (not the Q80T at least, perhaps the R) and as posted above, Best Buy carrying that for $2600ish.

For me, the Atmos support was too important to not have as that's the next big investment I'm making in the AV world. 65" hits a sweet spot for size v/s value.
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1715 posts
1096 upvotes
Toronto
Bishop8 wrote: Can I ask where the Sony 950G/H series would slot in here in terms of picture quality -- above or below the Q80T? Price wise the Sony's cleared out recently under $1500 so I'm wondering if the premium for the Samsung is justified.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... eshold=0.1
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... eshold=0.1

Looks to be fairly close. Noticeable differences are Samsung has better viewing angle and reflection handling. Sony has higher brightness.
Dec 1, 2007
741 posts
132 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
Bishop8 wrote: Can I ask where the Sony 950G/H series would slot in here in terms of picture quality -- above or below the Q80T? Price wise the Sony's cleared out recently under $1500 so I'm wondering if the premium for the Samsung is justified.
The Sony H series will give you darker darks for sure. Better for movies in a rec room type setting. The refresh on the Samsung panel seems to be more functional though and deals with motion better. Not too familiar with the G series of Sony's but I'm sure it's prob a similar comparison.
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1067 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lleviathan wrote: You can negotiate pretty hard on the open box models. I got a 75" Q8FN (so, the model/year prior to the Q80r) with delivery, installation, "pro" calibration, and 4 year warranty for $1999 last year (Nov 2019). Just ask the Best Buy sales guy to keep asking the manager for the best price/discount. They initially were asking $2599 w/o the setup, warranty, etc. for the set I got. Oh, and make sure if they are throwing in calibration, that it includes calibrating HDR modes... for some reason that's a different sku in their system.
Was it an in-store unit? A lot of the open box units are online only - not sure if you can buy those in-store?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3300 posts
444 upvotes
Mississauga
jello_bob wrote: If you can get it at 75" new for under $3K, as of today, it's a solid deal IMO. You won't find it open box at this stage in the game (not the Q80T at least, perhaps the R) and as posted above, Best Buy carrying that for $2600ish.

For me, the Atmos support was too important to not have as that's the next big investment I'm making in the AV world. 65" hits a sweet spot for size v/s value.
sorry what is ATmos and does this model have it?
Dec 1, 2007
741 posts
132 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
dreaderus wrote: sorry what is ATmos and does this model have it?
Atmos is the audio technology that goes beyond your typical "Surround Sound" setup and makes you feel like you're in a movie theatre. This is usually accomplished by speakers in your ceiling or ones that "fire sound up" toward your ceiling to give the effect. It's most impactful in movie scenes where there is the need to feel "immersed" in the experience.

The 2019 version of this TV (Q80R) doesn't support Atmos. I've heard the Samsung Q90R soundbar system in action and am eyeing up whatever they release for 2020 for my house.

Here are some of the best soundbars available for Atmos experience: Top Soundbars for Atmos - 2020

After a bit more research, it looks like the Q900T and Q950T are rolling out very soon. It might drop the pricing on the Q90R a bit. I was quoted $1398 for that one at Visions with the 5 year warranty included at no cost.
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.