Expired Hot Deals

[Visions] Samsung 65" Q80T (2020) QLED at $1998

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 9:34 am
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3201 posts
427 upvotes
Mississauga
jello_bob wrote: 65" Q80T has dropped to the $1999 price again as the rep had suggested it would. Many retailers carrying it at the price. I'm going to look at what my Commercial Sales dealer is willing to sell it for at The Brick.
Cha-ching.
please share with us if you can get it lower
Newbie
Sep 9, 2006
57 posts
37 upvotes
georgep wrote: Best Buy has an "open box" (which can be a bit of a crap shoot) 75" q80r for $2660: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... x/13625862
You can negotiate pretty hard on the open box models. I got a 75" Q8FN (so, the model/year prior to the Q80r) with delivery, installation, "pro" calibration, and 4 year warranty for $1999 last year (Nov 2019). Just ask the Best Buy sales guy to keep asking the manager for the best price/discount. They initially were asking $2599 w/o the setup, warranty, etc. for the set I got. Oh, and make sure if they are throwing in calibration, that it includes calibrating HDR modes... for some reason that's a different sku in their system.
-------------------------
Koodo
Tangerine
Sr. Member
Dec 1, 2007
729 posts
130 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
dreaderus wrote: please share with us if you can get it lower
$1899 is their best price I'm told. I took it. Already have a bunch of furniture set up for delivery so just keep piling it on. :)
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3201 posts
427 upvotes
Mississauga
jello_bob wrote: $1899 is their best price I'm told. I took it. Already have a bunch of furniture set up for delivery so just keep piling it on. :)
For 75 what should i be targeting? 2999?
Sr. Member
Dec 1, 2007
729 posts
130 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
dreaderus wrote: For 75 what should i be targeting? 2999?
If you can get it at 75" new for under $3K, as of today, it's a solid deal IMO. You won't find it open box at this stage in the game (not the Q80T at least, perhaps the R) and as posted above, Best Buy carrying that for $2600ish.

For me, the Atmos support was too important to not have as that's the next big investment I'm making in the AV world. 65" hits a sweet spot for size v/s value.
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1638 posts
964 upvotes
Toronto
Bishop8 wrote: Can I ask where the Sony 950G/H series would slot in here in terms of picture quality -- above or below the Q80T? Price wise the Sony's cleared out recently under $1500 so I'm wondering if the premium for the Samsung is justified.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... eshold=0.1
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... eshold=0.1

Looks to be fairly close. Noticeable differences are Samsung has better viewing angle and reflection handling. Sony has higher brightness.
Sr. Member
Dec 1, 2007
729 posts
130 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
Bishop8 wrote: Can I ask where the Sony 950G/H series would slot in here in terms of picture quality -- above or below the Q80T? Price wise the Sony's cleared out recently under $1500 so I'm wondering if the premium for the Samsung is justified.
The Sony H series will give you darker darks for sure. Better for movies in a rec room type setting. The refresh on the Samsung panel seems to be more functional though and deals with motion better. Not too familiar with the G series of Sony's but I'm sure it's prob a similar comparison.
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1009 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lleviathan wrote: You can negotiate pretty hard on the open box models. I got a 75" Q8FN (so, the model/year prior to the Q80r) with delivery, installation, "pro" calibration, and 4 year warranty for $1999 last year (Nov 2019). Just ask the Best Buy sales guy to keep asking the manager for the best price/discount. They initially were asking $2599 w/o the setup, warranty, etc. for the set I got. Oh, and make sure if they are throwing in calibration, that it includes calibrating HDR modes... for some reason that's a different sku in their system.
Was it an in-store unit? A lot of the open box units are online only - not sure if you can buy those in-store?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3201 posts
427 upvotes
Mississauga
jello_bob wrote: If you can get it at 75" new for under $3K, as of today, it's a solid deal IMO. You won't find it open box at this stage in the game (not the Q80T at least, perhaps the R) and as posted above, Best Buy carrying that for $2600ish.

For me, the Atmos support was too important to not have as that's the next big investment I'm making in the AV world. 65" hits a sweet spot for size v/s value.
sorry what is ATmos and does this model have it?
Sr. Member
Dec 1, 2007
729 posts
130 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
dreaderus wrote: sorry what is ATmos and does this model have it?
Atmos is the audio technology that goes beyond your typical "Surround Sound" setup and makes you feel like you're in a movie theatre. This is usually accomplished by speakers in your ceiling or ones that "fire sound up" toward your ceiling to give the effect. It's most impactful in movie scenes where there is the need to feel "immersed" in the experience.

The 2019 version of this TV (Q80R) doesn't support Atmos. I've heard the Samsung Q90R soundbar system in action and am eyeing up whatever they release for 2020 for my house.

Here are some of the best soundbars available for Atmos experience: Top Soundbars for Atmos - 2020

After a bit more research, it looks like the Q900T and Q950T are rolling out very soon. It might drop the pricing on the Q90R a bit. I was quoted $1398 for that one at Visions with the 5 year warranty included at no cost.
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.
Member
Nov 22, 2016
458 posts
239 upvotes
I'm currently going through the repair/replacement process with Visions on a 65KS8000. Any suggestions what to go with if I need to replace it? Thinking the Q80T seems like it might be decent. Either that or pay up for a SONY OLED. Hopefully the blacks(on the Q80T) are as dark as the KS8000 was. It was a great tv...until the bleed out started happening from the bottom of the screen.
Newbie
Sep 9, 2006
57 posts
37 upvotes
georgep wrote: Was it an in-store unit? A lot of the open box units are online only - not sure if you can buy those in-store?
Yeah, that was in store, Calgary Shawnessy.
-------------------------
Koodo
Tangerine
Sr. Member
Dec 1, 2007
729 posts
130 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
So as an aside, I did buy the Q80T for $1899 plus tax @ the Brick. Expecting delivery next Friday.
As for the Q90R soundbar, just got off the phone with Bay Bloor Radio earlier this afternoon and it sounds like the Q900T at least is going to be a) more expensive at $1699, and b) not include the rear speakers as those will be limited to the Q950T model now which will retail for $2199. The MSRP on the Q90R has apparently dropped down to $1299 now but he said good luck finding them in stock.
I have a hard time believing they’ll be able to capture Atmos feeling without any physical speakers located at the rear/sides to physically project noise accordingly so in all aspects, the Q900T seems to slot in “below” the Q90R in terms of value at a higher price point IMO.
Time to find me the Q90R to go with my set and be content.
Bobby Dee.
RFD Proud since 07.
Newbie
Aug 8, 2005
92 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
jello_bob wrote: So as an aside, I did buy the Q80T for $1899 plus tax @ the Brick. Expecting delivery next Friday.
As for the Q90R soundbar, just got off the phone with Bay Bloor Radio earlier this afternoon and it sounds like the Q900T at least is going to be a) more expensive at $1699, and b) not include the rear speakers as those will be limited to the Q950T model now which will retail for $2199. The MSRP on the Q90R has apparently dropped down to $1299 now but he said good luck finding them in stock.
I have a hard time believing they’ll be able to capture Atmos feeling without any physical speakers located at the rear/sides to physically project noise accordingly so in all aspects, the Q900T seems to slot in “below” the Q90R in terms of value at a higher price point IMO.
Time to find me the Q90R to go with my set and be content.
I hope you get the perfect screen and dont have to return that q80t. You’re gonna have hard time returning that.
Newbie
Oct 29, 2012
48 posts
72 upvotes
Stopped in at my local Visions (Whitby), they were out of stock on the Q80T and said it would take almost a month to get one should I order it. The sales guy proceeded to offer me the 65'' Q90T for $2500. I didnt want to wait a month so I picked up the Q90T for the $2500.
Last edited by jdesouz on Jul 23rd, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top